The router in use might not support packet fragmentation.

• Netduma Staff

Just ran a network test on my PS4 and got a message that I will attach as a picture. Only getting this now that I have updated to the newest version

I haven't seen it affecting anything but just thought I would bring it up incase it matters :)

Pics of the message are attached :)

(and yes, I have terrible upload and download and I am ashamed :( )

IMG_2362.JPG

IMG_2361.JPG

Guest Netduma Fraser

Hey Crossy thanks for letting us know. Ive done a bit of research on this and have seen that people with this issue have determined that it could be your ISP or a double natting issue. However, I will discuss this with Iain and see if this is something on our end that can be fixed, especially if it starts to affect your gaming experience.

Just ran a network test on my PS4 and got a message that I will attach as a picture. Only getting this now that I have updated to the newest version

I haven't seen it affecting anything but just thought I would bring it up incase it matters :)

Pics of the message are attached :)

(and yes, I have terrible upload and download and I am ashamed :( )

it can be  caused by double natting, and or your isp /psn itself  i really wouldn't worry about it too much as long as your mtu is set correctly ( ie dont put it really stupidly low you'll be fine 

• Netduma Staff

it can be  caused by double natting, and or your isp /psn itself  i really wouldn't worry about it too much as long as your mtu is set correctly ( ie dont put it really stupidly low you'll be fine 

Well that explains everything. I changed my MTU on recommendations from a friend when I could not log into PSN (I changed it to 1473).

I suppose this is whats causing the issue?

By the way, what does MTU even do?

Thanks for your help :)

Well that explains everything. I changed my MTU on recommendations from a friend when I could not log into PSN (I changed it to 1473).

I suppose this is whats causing the issue?

By the way, what does MTU even do?

Thanks for your help :)

MTU = maximum transmission unit  its basically the setting that sets what size a packet can be max, 

In all honesty you shouldnt really need to change it if you are using a isp given modem/router as its normally set correctly , although in uk some isps use weird mtu settings for some reasons.. so always wise to check .

PSN and MTU is a law unto itself, mtu does funny things to psn , for example when everyone was having issues connecting to psn the other day changing the mtu setting allowed people to log in... 

I know my isp runs at 1452 mtu, meaning (im guessing) when they process my packets and im over the 1452 their servers have to seperate/fragment to send my data. Im also guessing some isp's could be really terrible with their hops and fragmentation thus adding ms to your ping, although im doubtfull it would be possible to feel the difference. But it could help if you have random unknown packet loss.

See if you can find out what your isp mtu is as default (most are different) and set you devices at this mtu number.

Or just leave it all at default 1500 and just let the network do its thing.

Archived