PS3 Open NAT Type (VPN)

I'm using ExpressVPN on PS3 via the Netduma router and I'm wondering if there's anyway I could have an Open NAT Type. It's "Moderate" atm and I assume it's why I keep getting kicked off BO2 lobbies randomly. Thanks

• Netduma Staff

I'm using ExpressVPN on PS3 via the Netduma router and I'm wondering if there's anyway I could have an Open NAT Type. It's "Moderate" atm and I assume it's why I keep getting kicked off BO2 lobbies randomly. Thanks

The VPN shouldn't really be causing the moderate NAT type. Try disabling all Port Forwarding rules on the Netduma and your ISP modem (if there are any), then put your Netduma into the DMZ section of the ISP hub. Finally, enable UPnP in Settings > UPnP as well as UPnP Forwarding in Settings > Miscellaneous.

You should also only enable the Geo-Filter once you're on the game menu, NOT as the console and game are booting up. Please let us know how you get on :)

The VPN shouldn't really be causing the moderate NAT type. Try disabling all Port Forwarding rules on the Netduma and your ISP modem (if there are any), then put your Netduma into the DMZ section of the ISP hub. Finally, enable UPnP in Settings > UPnP as well as UPnP Forwarding in Settings > Miscellaneous.

You should also only enable the Geo-Filter once you're on the game menu, NOT as the console and game are booting up. Please let us know how you get on :)

Thanks brother. I really appreciate it. I'll do this tomorrow and let you all know what happened

I'm relieved to hear that the VPN doesn't cause this problem... :)

I did everything and my NAT type is still moderate. I don't even use Geo Filter

Edit: I disabled the VPN and I got Open NAT type. I think it's the VPN

I'm using ExpressVPN. Maybe I should switch providers. I read somewhere that Vyper has Open NAT

• Netduma Staff

I did everything and my NAT type is still moderate. I don't even use Geo Filter

Edit: I disabled the VPN and I got Open NAT type. I think it's the VPN

I'm using ExpressVPN. Maybe I should switch providers. I read somewhere that Vyper has Open NAT

Your best bet then is a 'gaming' VPN that doesn't block the ports necessary for an open NAT. It's possible that you might not require a VPN to begin with - you will only need one if you're being DDoS attacked or the likes. We always recommend against gaming on a VPN since you'll always get increased latency.

Your best bet then is a 'gaming' VPN that doesn't block the ports necessary for an open NAT. It's possible that you might not require a VPN to begin with - you will only need one if you're being DDoS attacked or the likes. We always recommend against gaming on a VPN since you'll always get increased latency.

Thanks Jack!

• Netduma Staff

Never mind. I found out what the problem was. It had nothing to do with Netduma or ISP at all! Fixed! :D

Great to hear! Please let us know if you have any more questions or issues :)