Wifi speeds slow

Hi everyone,

I've noticed that my wifi speeds are slow even when I have congestion control set to 100%. My subscribed Internet speeds are about 150/10 and I have no problem getting these speeds wired to the duma or directly to the modem but over wifi the speeds are not great. I've tested on an iPhone 6, a 2009 and a 2017 macbookpro all with the same results about 30mbps down/10 up. Any suggestions?

My configuration is:

Reactive, usually 70 when gaming, 100 when not

wifi is wpa-psk2. channel usually 6 or 11 though it's fairly congested where I am

upnp enabled

lan/wan ipv6 disabled

lan/wan mtu auto

deep packet processing off

stealth and turbo mode on

auto cloud and bleeding edge cloud on.

Anything I'm missing?

Thanks!

• Administrators

You wont get that high a speed but should get higher than what you are getting.

Make sure the router is out in the open in a central location and if possible elevated off the floor. Try to put it in a position where there are limited physical obstructions around it like a wall etc. Also avoid having it in an area with reflective surfaces and other wireless/electrical devices. Most wireless device operate on the 2.4GHz frequency and are more likely to cause interference so move any wireless headphones etc away from the router. Believe it or not a microwave can mess with WiFi signals!

The closer you are to the router when connected via WiFi the better it should be.

Is 6/11 the least congested channel in your area?

Hi Fraser!

Thanks for the quick reply. I understand I won't get 150 down directly over wifi but all of my devices are 802.11n so unless the duma only does single stream wireless to my devices this doesn't really make sense. 1 stream at 70% would be 35mbps so that would be correct if I can only expect 54mbps down max.

The router is on top of a cabinet with a wall behind it. It is close to a stereo receiver, my ps4, a harmony wifi remote control hub and a tv. I'll try repositioning it for testing sake. Generally I am within 10-30 feet of the router.

Unfortunately, 1, 6 and 11 are all pretty saturated where I am. The 5ghz band is not that saturated.

I can try another router I have to test that but I really do enjoy the duma's features, small form factor and not having to use the extra electricity.

• Administrators

I couldn't say for sure. I have got higher than 54mbps in the past so would say at least 2 streams. Yeah let me know if the re-positioning does improve it. 

Choose one of the channels between those that's least congested.

It's 2 steams for a max of 144mb/s so around 65Mbps total makes sense especially at a 20mhz channel width. Moving the router helped me achieve that, thanks for reminding me to look at the simple things first.

6 and 11 are equally congested and 1 is the most congested. Any plans on coming out with a 5ghz model or would the duma code work on another mikotik box with 5ghz wifi?

• Administrators

Great to hear you've managed to achieve more.

What I mean is there are more than those 3 channels. So choose the least congested one that's not those 3. Right now we're just trying to improve our software as much as possible, then we could look at things like that.

I'm not sure I want to start getting into situations with cross channel interference but I guess there isn't much of a choice in this case. Thanks as always for the support and insights!