Considering Netduma for GTA Online on PS4

sleepersolar

I play competitive PVP on this game and see a lot of lag, with my shots not registering, being killed before I feel it is possible, etc. Unfortunately with GTA there is no kill cam so I can't see any discrepancies.

GTA online is P2P and I'm fairly sure it uses some lag comp system. But I'm not sure how much the Netduma can help me.

My PS4 has a wired connection to a Netgear D7000 router, with fixed IP and DMZ etc. My broadband is 35 down and 6 up, 24ms ping according to speedof.me. There are about 10 devices connected wirelessly to the router but most are idle, I'm not streaming netflix or downloading torrents while gaming. Nevertheless in the routers settings I have set up QoS with the PS4 as highest priority and deleted everything else.

It has helped somewhat but is still not perfect. Unfortunately the GTA deathmatch community is much smaller than CoD or Destiny etc so I will regularly need hosts from the other side of the ocean, I cant block them.

I have read for CoD a large cause of lag is lag comp, which you can 'get on its good side' if you throttle the PS4 bandwidth. I would like to try this on GTA, but unfortunately my router will only let me globally throttle the upload bandwidth for everything, and won't let me change the download bandwidth. I was hoping the Netduma would let me alter both.

I think I read somewhere that the Netduma doesn't let you put the PS4 in DMZ, is that the case?

I was just wondering what benefits I might see from the Netduma over the Nighthawk router + QoS alone for my situation. Thanks!

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

The Geo-filter works fantastically with P2P games so you should definitely see a benefit in being able to get closer games.

I don't believe in the theory that throttling your connection helps with lag comp but a lot of people stand by it. You would be able to adjust download/upload settings on the router, other devices would still have enough for their usage.

There is no DMZ in this version of our software, but port forwarding will have the same affect of opening the ports needed. The setup I would recommend would be modem > Netduma (WiFi off) > Nighthawk (AP mode). That way if you need it congestion control can prevent any local congestion. It seems as though most of the benefit for you would be the Geo-filter.

• 3 years later...

hey, I'm facing the same problem now, thanks for this post and all the answers, it really helped! All in all I'm a big fan of gta and more exactly gta 5 and when I found out that my PC is too old for this game and would not be able to support it I was devastated. Then my friend suggested me to install it on my mobile device from this site https://gta5mobile.club/ . At first I had a lot of doubts but downloaded it anyway. Long story short, I did not regret it at all!

• Administrators
7 hours ago, treysi said:

hey, I'm facing the same problem now, thanks for this post and all the answers, it really helped!

Hey, welcome to the forum!

That's great to hear, do let us know if you need any assistance.