VPN Enabled Devices not routing through the VPN when selected

Hi everyone, 

New to the forums, love my Netduma, it's the only reason I still play Destiny :-)  

I've had my R1 for close to a year now and just yesterday have setup the VPN functionality using Nordvpn.  Here's my issue, when I first setup the VPN everything worked as expected.  As I'm new to Nordvpn, I've had been playing with different servers and testing the results.  Last night after trying a few different setups, I noticed that selecting my laptop to route through the VPN quit working.  I tried rebooting the router, tried other computers and devices on my network, clearing the VPN config, rebooting again, resetting it up etc... none of that worked.  The R1 just ignored whether or not a device was selected to route through the VPN.  So finally out of frustration I reset the router.  That "fixed" it.

So this evening I've continued my testing, and after about a 1/2 hour it's now ignoring device selections again.  I'm not sure if it's something I'm doing to cause this, but I don't think I'm doing anything crazy with it.  Just selecting and deselecting devices, which is the one feature I intended to use regularly. I've only tried a couple different VPN servers today and I can't see why that should be a problem but maybe there's something I'm doing with respect to that?  Basically all I've been doing is disconnecting the VPN, then putting in the new config and reconnecting which it happily does.  BTW... not sure if this is the right place for this, but it'd great if you could save your custom VPN configs and just select them when needed from a list hehe...  Anyway, I'd hate to have to reset again. Thoughts anyone?  

I've searched through the forums before posting and didn't find problems like this so hopefully I didn't miss anything.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!!

Cheers

Edit: I disconnected the VPN and rebooted and it's working again, at least for now.  I'm quite sure I've done this before and it didn't change anything, but at least at the moment I can continue testing.  I'm still very interested to know if anyone else has experienced this behavior and why it might be happening.  Thanks.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum! 

Great to hear that! I've also added your idea to the list.

The thing that comes to mind right now that could be causing the issue would be that the name/device has changed in device manager, either through IP change/being disconnected/reconnected but that doesn't make much sense when you've only just disabled it. 

Let us know if the issue continues and we can look into it further.

Hey, thanks Fraser!

No name change on the devices as that's one of the first things I clean up because I have over 30 devices on my network so it makes life a lot easier if their names are clear and concise.  Much appreciate the reply, and I will let you know if it happens again for sure.

Cheers

Archived