Simple Steps to Forwarding the Same Ports for 2 DIFFERENT Gaming Console Types (PS4, XBox One) on the Netduma R1 Router

Here are some simple steps to forwarding the same ports for 2 DIFFERENT gaming console types (PS4, XBox One) on the Netduma R1 router. You would do this only if you're anal / wary about using UPnP to forward ports for 2 different gaming consoles (because of the potential hacker security risk that UPnP poses). With that said, the Netduma R1's UPnP works brilliantly (at least much better than the UPnP of other routers).

I have a PS4 and XBox One on the same network. Both gaming consoles require some identical ports to be forwarded. This poses a challenge in that the Netduma router won't allow you to create 2 port forwarding rules for 2 separate static IP addresses, EVEN if only one of the rules is active (and the other rule is inactive).

The solution is to use the SAME static IP address for the PS4 and XBox One. When you do this, you can then create ONE set of port forwarding rules that are then applied to BOTH consoles (granted, some of the port forwarding rules won't apply to the PS4 / XBox One and will remain superfluous). Now, I have a NAT Open status for both my PS4 and XB1 without needing UPnP.

NOTE: This only works when one console is OFF. Both consoles can't remain on at the same time since the Netduma R1 router would not know whether to forward ports to the PS4 or XBox One (since they both share the same static IP address).

With that said, here are the steps (one console must remain OFF whenever the other console is on during the entire process):

1. Manually set up the same static IP address for BOTH the PS4 and XBox One within each console. There are plenty of tutorials that show you how to do this. Be sure that one console is OFF while the other one is on while you're manually setting up the static IP address in the console that's on.

2. Designate only ONE console (e.g. PS4) with the manually created static IP address in the Netduma R1 router (/Settings/DHCP Lease). This is because the Netduma R1 won't allow duplicate static IP addresses in DHCP.

3. Create port forwarding rules for both the PS4 and XBox One that target the manually created static IP address for the consoles.

4. You should now have NAT Open status for the PS4 and XBox One. Test each console to see if that's the case (again, one console must remain OFF whenever the other console is on).

Now, if you had 2 IDENTICAL game consoles (e.g. 2 PS4s) that you wanted to use AT THE SAME TIME on the same network (e.g. you and a roommate), THEN you would have to assign 2 separate static IP addresses for the PS4s and use UPnP.

Here are some simple steps to forwarding the same ports for 2 DIFFERENT gaming console types (PS4, XBox One) on the Netduma R1 router. You would do this only if you're anal / wary about using UPnP to forward ports for 2 different gaming consoles (because of the potential hacker security risk that it UPnP poses). With that said, the Netduma R1's UPnP works brilliantly (at least much better than the UPnP of other routers).

I have a PS4 and XBox One on the same network. Both gaming consoles require some identical ports to be forwarded. This poses a challenge in that the Netduma router won't allow you to create 2 port forwarding rules for 2 separate static IP addresses, EVEN if only one of the rules is active (and the other rule is inactive).

The solution is to use the SAME static IP address for the PS4 and XBox One. When you do this, you can then create ONE set of port forwarding rules that are then applied to BOTH consoles (granted, some of the port forwarding rules won't apply to the PS4 / XBox One and will remain superfluous). Now, I have a NAT Open status for both my PS4 and XB1 without needing UPnP.

NOTE: This only works when one console is OFF. Both consoles can't remain on at the same time since the Netduma R1 router would not know whether to forward ports to the PS4 or XBox One (since they both share the same static IP address).

With that said, here are the steps (one console must remain OFF whenever the other console is on during the entire process):

1. Manually set up the same static IP address for BOTH the PS4 and XBox One within each console. There are plenty of tutorials that show you how to do this. Be sure that one console is OFF while the other one is on while you're manually setting up the static IP address in the console that's on.

2. Designate only ONE console (e.g. PS4) with the manually created static IP address in the Netduma R1 router. This is because the Netduma R1 won't allow duplicate static IP addresses in DHCP.

3. Create port forwarding rules for both the PS4 and XBox One that target the manually created static IP address for the consoles.

4. You should now have NAT Open status for the PS4 and XBox One. Test each console to see if that's the case (again, one console must remain OFF whenever the other console is on).

Now, if you had 2 IDENTICAL game consoles (e.g. 2 PS4s) that you wanted to use AT THE SAME TIME on the same network (e.g. you and a roommate), THEN you would have to assign 2 separate static IP addresses for the PS4s and use UPnP.

2. You mean place either console static IP address under DHCP Lease in the Duma?

2. You mean place either console static IP address under DHCP Lease in the Duma?

Yes, that's correct. For example, I put only my PS4's static IP address in the /Settings/DHCP Lease screen. The Netduma R1 won't allow you to put 2 devices that share the same static IP address in the DHCP Lease screen.

I just might do this since I have both a PS4 and Xbox One. :)

Remember that only ONE of the gaming consoles can be on (the other MUST be turned off - I'm not sure if putting the other to sleep will work). Otherwise, the Netduma R1 router won't know which console gets the forwarded ports (since both consoles share the same static IP address).

Yes, that's correct. For example, I put only my PS4's static IP address in the /Settings/DHCP Lease screen. The Netduma R1 won't allow you to put 2 devices that share the same static IP address in the DHCP Lease screen.

Remember that only ONE of the gaming consoles can be on (the other MUST be turned off - I'm not sure if putting the other to sleep will work). Otherwise, the Netduma R1 router won't know which console gets the forwarded ports (since both consoles share the same static IP address).

Got it. I game mostly on the PS4 now. Xbox One mostly for Netflix and occasionally I will play some BO1 or BO3. Thanks bro!

Got it. I game mostly on the PS4 now. Xbox One mostly for Netflix and occasionally I will play some BO1 or BO3. Thanks bro!

You're welcome!

I bought the PS4 first and then bought the XBox One when HALO 5 came out at a net price of about $110 (sales price, bundled games, online discounts, store discounts). If it weren't for getting the XBox One at such a cheap price, I'd have been upset at myself for buying a second gaming console.

I spend most of my time using the PS4. The XBox one is lucky if it gets used for several hours per week.

I'm going through the trouble of ensuring that both the PS4 and XBox One have NAT Open status just in case I find myself playing an XBox game a lot in the future.

You're welcome!

I bought the PS4 first and then bought the XBox One when HALO 5 came out at a net price of about $110 (sales price, bundled games, online discounts, store discounts). If it weren't for getting the XBox One at such a cheap price, I'd have been upset at myself for buying a second gaming console.

I spend most of my time using the PS4. The XBox one is lucky if it gets used for several hours per week.

I'm going through the trouble of ensuring that both the PS4 and XBox One have NAT Open status just in case I find myself playing an XBox game a lot in the future.

Same here. If I turn on either one I don't like going through the ritual of trying to get an Open NAT.

I was able to set up the Xbox One (OPEN), but later I will set up the PS4 and put it under the DHCP Lease.

Same here. If I turn on either one I don't like going through the ritual of trying to get an Open NAT.

I was able to set up the Xbox One (OPEN), but later I will set up the PS4 and put it under the DHCP Lease.

Just remember that for the PS4, an Open NAT is Type 2 (PS4 is open behind a router). Type 1 is a PS4 open connected directly to a cable modem (sans router).

Typical Sony logic lol.

Just remember that for the PS4, an Open NAT is Type 2 (PS4 is open behind a router). Type 1 is a PS4 open connected directly to a cable modem (sans router).

Typical Sony logic lol.

LoL :lol:

For some reason I cant even open up one PS4 without port forwarding, I have static IPs on both can anyone confirm that this works on their PS4s (talking about Infinite Warfare BTW)

Yes, I can confirm that I have forwarded the necessary ports on my PS4 (with Geofilter enabled and Strict Mode on). Doing so gives me NAT Type 2 status for the PS4 (which is Sony's way of saying Open NAT behind a router) and NAT Open status on COD IW.

Make sure that you don't have UPnP enabled when you're forwarding ports.

Archived