I'd pay $500.00 US....

b00stg0d

understandably, hopefully DumaOS goes the way of multiple hardware platforms but the RB2011UiAS-RM has a serial port which would allow for access to the DumaOS backend...allowing for much easier theft of intellectual property

understandably, hopefully DumaOS goes the way of multiple hardware platforms but the RB2011UiAS-RM has a serial port which would allow for access to the DumaOS backend...allowing for much easier theft of intellectual property

I agree abc but surely that could be limited access? or disabled?

I agree abc but surely that could be limited access? or disabled?

all of the routers i've attacked always are super easy to bypass if they have JTAG or Serial.  There are a couple of reasons,

1. during boot OpenWRT and almost all firmware aren't loaded...so you inject here..

2. even with SSH and telnet disabled JTAG and Serial connections can connect.

it is frustrating i know, i am frustrated but security is difficult when you have to send the item to someone else and hope they don't hack it.

As most are aware one company did this already by removing the EEPROM and ripping the data with a chip reader, anger is definitely my first response.

The current box is jtag capable. most are.... moot point. If someone wants to steal something, they will. I just want rack mount. Stuck with microtik because it's the same brand, specs close if not exact, same chipset?, maybe it would be an option for those of us who aren't just throwing a router in a closet, shelf, or desktop.

ah, the jtag is there...just isn't pre-soldered for you.

we'll have to wait and see, i honestly hope Duma OS 2 is compatible with more hardware.  however it won't work on the above stated, for 2 reasons the kernel doesn't work without a patch and there isn't any wifi.  for compatibility check on openwrt support for the boards:

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/mikrotik/rb2011uias

• 3 weeks later...

abc... I saw your post on the UBNT forums, do you have the same feelings about the ER-PR0 08?  I am in need of some L3 switching solutions as well as multi-wan capable routing. Any advice?

build your own router, i built mine with pfSense.

I have in the past.  I have used pfSense for probably a year and then some.  It's probably the way I should go.  I'm goign to give the ER-8Pro a go with their L3 24 port switch to start and see what I run into.  If I see issues I will box it up and return it asap.  I will have burned through every major available dual/multiwan available besides pfsense roll your own.  That's always been an available option. Just thought by now some manufacturer would roll it all up in a nice neat box and be done with it. That being said, pfSense does have some secuity issues and the same NAT problems as found in $50-300.00 routers.   Wish someone would see the need for a router in the 1500.00 range that does everything wee need. Routers are like wealth classification, there's the poor, the ones that think they're not poor, and then the wealthy.  I need a wealthy router on a poor mans budget.

I have in the past.  I have used pfSense for probably a year and then some.  It's probably the way I should go.  I'm goign to give the ER-8Pro a go with their L3 24 port switch to start and see what I run into.  If I see issues I will box it up and return it asap.  I will have burned through every major available dual/multiwan available besides pfsense roll your own.  That's always been an available option. Just thought by now some manufacturer would roll it all up in a nice neat box and be done with it. That being said, pfSense does have some secuity issues and the same NAT problems as found in $50-300.00 routers.   Wish someone would see the need for a router in the 1500.00 range that does everything wee need. Routers are like wealth classification, there's the poor, the ones that think they're not poor, and then the wealthy.  I need a wealthy router on a poor mans budget.

why i wouldn't go back to a Ubiquiti (i once had a ERPoe‑5)

http://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/Issues-with-Edge-Router-EdgeOS-not-being-powerful-enough-being/m-p/1606545#M116598

http://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/Slow-WAN-speeds-Edge-Router-Lite/m-p/1562245#M110535

Archived