Must have the only broken Netduma

Kirby9099

I will be trying that tonight or tomorrow and getting back here. I figured that one device at a time would eventually popup as a troubleshooting step since thats probably the only thing i havent done. And that Pingplotter data was also towards the end starting at around 9pm me playing online as well. So even me playing online didnt change the results much (which i would believe should be expected as ping is extremely little data being processed.)

I wish there was a way in the Netduma to block devices from getting out of the network but can still access everything INSIDE the network. Of the 20+ devices I have on my network (Two Desktops, two laptops, 2-3 tablets(usually one at time..wife or daughter), Multiple NAS, XBMC Raspberry pi, TV, Roku,...really only a handful get out of the network. Doubtful needed elsewhere but could be a future update...idk. Maybe not worth it.

• 1 month later...

I know this is still a problem with me so im just gonna put this here.

I posted on another forum here that i started about how QOS is what i believe to be lowering the upload speed to control traffic. With the netduma set at 75%up&down, and with it at 100% up and down bo3 grabs a portion of my bandwidth shown in the game settings. This is usually 4000kbs. Which means if i have 10 upload my bo3 is grabbing 40% of my upload bandwidth.

The problem that im having is 75%up&down chops my upload to essentially only 5-6mb up. and then bo3 is grabbing what i believe to be the rest still at 4000kbs. So i was told that throttling your upload which is exactly what QOS and congestion control is, but when i lower it to 15% up and down, why does my xbox one elite controller and console become more responsive and i get onto servers located in Chicago and Iowa but when its at 75%up&down i can only connect to the texas servers but seems like my controller is lagging behind my button presses? Such as when im at 75% up&down on a dallas server, my y y arent responsive at all, but when i put it on 15% up and down i connect to the chicago it seems like my y y changes before i really even press the buttons.

Someone told me thats a placebo effect and lowering your upload doesnt do anything....but isnt changing the c.c to 75% up&down "throttling" the connection? I think we all have established its NOT my connection from pingplotter, latency tests, etc so i would appreciate that those comments shy away. Looking for a technical answer moreso.

The cc is for ur network and controlling buffer bloat. 70/70 is recommended for people who don't wanna try learning what the sweet spot for their connection is. My sweet spot is 98/98% reactive. I get A+ connection. When on 70/70 I get all A's. If I pit on preemptive. Oh God takes like 15 bullets to kill people. Hit markers assists. Insane. When my settings and set I get 50 kills easily no assists.

Other day this new guy my buddy met joined our party. I was host. When I'm host always 17-30ms ping. Chicago server 20ms or less. But no matter what I do couldn't kill anyone. 0 kills, 8 deaths, 6 assists. This guy was located in Texas, 3 bars. We were all 4 but him. 3 different games like that. I eventually cut guy lose and left party. Craziest thing I've seen yet on a party. Felt like I was on preemptive but no one was lagging. No skipping. Blew my mind. Some things u can't control only your own connection you can control. Not peers

• Administrators

You are talking about throttling which some people swear by but I do believe it to be a placebo effect. Bo3 when it says 4000kbps doesn't mean that's what it is taking. Being in a game won't even use 10% of that. 

70/70 isn't really the same as throttling - I grant you it lowers speeds but that is not it's purpose. As you can see from this blog we can now achieve the same QoS effects without taking a hit to speeds: https://netduma.com/blog/announcement-unveiling-the-worlds-greatest-qos/so you will be benefitting from this soon.

The cc is for ur network and controlling buffer bloat. 70/70 is recommended for people who don't wanna try learning what the sweet spot for their connection is. My sweet spot is 98/98% reactive. I get A+ connection. When on 70/70 I get all A's. If I pit on preemptive. Oh God takes like 15 bullets to kill people. Hit markers assists. Insane. When my settings and set I get 50 kills easily no assists.

The problem is with that sweet spot 70/70 doesnt do anything except lower my upload/download. Thats why i went with drastic 15/15. Cuts my upload/download to 1/10 of what i pay for. but i notice significantly better games for the most part. It seems like it changes daily, but i created two separate profiles...one called No Slow, which is 100/100, no hyper traffic/xbox not enabled for games such as GTA 5 online, or downloading games or updates for xbox or other pc downloads that still are factored into the 100/100. I notice my xbox is just clunky when i play online with this profile.

But when i change it to my "cheat Cod" profile 15/15, hyper traffic, and host enabled i feel like my xbox is less clunky. Faster response times from my controller 75% better lobbies, but i always connect to a different server when this profile is enabled (closer to me Iowa/Chicago i live in Topeka, Kansas). But when i have the 100/100 profile enabled I can never connect to the Iowa/Chicago servers and ONLY connect to the Texas servers. Which got me thinking, because its at 100/100 its setting i have more bandwidth allowing for futher server connections. But by default increasing my ping.

BUT when i use my Cheat Cod profile, it always gives me closer connections. FYI i only play on dedicated servers according to my Duma. 

You are talking about throttling which some people swear by but I do believe it to be a placebo effect. Bo3 when it says 4000kbps doesn't mean that's what it is taking. Being in a game won't even use 10% of that. 

70/70 isn't really the same as throttling - I grant you it lowers speeds but that is not it's purpose. As you can see from this blog we can now achieve the same QoS effects without taking a hit to speeds: https://netduma.com/blog/announcement-unveiling-the-worlds-greatest-qos/so you will be benefitting from this soon.

So simliar to my other recent comment, when i use my 100/100 profile it only connects me to Dallas Texas servers...not Iowa/Chicago. But this doesnt change when i make my host circle smaller (say to only include a 200mile radius which includes both those cities). Its like once i change my circle smaller...i literally can never connect to a game. Sat there for 30 minutes one time looking for a game. Its like once i took that Texas ded server out of my circle it wouldnt let me connect to anyone...literallly NO one. 

Which got my thinking...because it sees i have ~9mb upload available....cod grabs 40% of that even though it doesnt use that...could BO3 see that since my connection is "better" that ill be fine with a further away host Say in texas? Rather than when i use my 15/15 profile cod grabs 842kb bandwidth out of the available 1mb essentially...

I have 3 problems with this...between switching profiles...something crashes on the Merge/replace/Ignore "allow and deny hosts" option...ends up being MergeIgnore...then have to try to change the profile again two or three times to get it to stay (possible bug) because the PROFILES NEVER ACTUALLY STAY. Change back to General Gaming when i check back again (usually several hours later when im done gaming and want to game again the next day ill look...sitting at general gaming instead of NOSLOW which is what i set the night before...i never use General Gaming profile.)

My 2nd problem is that I swear my controller is wired on both profiles...but for some reason my 15/15 profile gives me better lobbies and faster response time on my controller...but isnt that the big thing everyone is telling everyone how to essentially "cheat" cod by lowering your bandwidth so much that you get better lag comp or rather NONE at all instead of the 100/100 profile gets 3-4MB of lag comp.

My 3rd problem is...i use my 15/15 profile for good COD lobbies....now i cant stream using twitch 2500kb option.

FYI im still working through to find my sweet spot which is why i have a plethera of more questions haha its a sad cycle. But im trying to find a good set of settings to use.

• Administrators

So simliar to my other recent comment, when i use my 100/100 profile it only connects me to Dallas Texas servers...not Iowa/Chicago. But this doesnt change when i make my host circle smaller (say to only include a 200mile radius which includes both those cities). Its like once i change my circle smaller...i literally can never connect to a game. Sat there for 30 minutes one time looking for a game. Its like once i took that Texas ded server out of my circle it wouldnt let me connect to anyone...literallly NO one. 

Which got my thinking...because it sees i have ~9mb upload available....cod grabs 40% of that even though it doesnt use that...could BO3 see that since my connection is "better" that ill be fine with a further away host Say in texas? Rather than when i use my 15/15 profile cod grabs 842kb bandwidth out of the available 1mb essentially...

I have 3 problems with this...between switching profiles...something crashes on the Merge/replace/Ignore "allow and deny hosts" option...ends up being MergeIgnore...then have to try to change the profile again two or three times to get it to stay (possible bug) because the PROFILES NEVER ACTUALLY STAY. Change back to General Gaming when i check back again (usually several hours later when im done gaming and want to game again the next day ill look...sitting at general gaming instead of NOSLOW which is what i set the night before...i never use General Gaming profile.)

My 2nd problem is that I swear my controller is wired on both profiles...but for some reason my 15/15 profile gives me better lobbies and faster response time on my controller...but isnt that the big thing everyone is telling everyone how to essentially "cheat" cod by lowering your bandwidth so much that you get better lag comp or rather NONE at all instead of the 100/100 profile gets 3-4MB of lag comp.

My 3rd problem is...i use my 15/15 profile for good COD lobbies....now i cant stream using twitch 2500kb option.

200miles is very small so I am not surprised you can't find a game, if you want to try getting a different server change to 650miles & move location to exclude Texas.

I can't really speculate on that given that ping is the most important thing, even if the host is further away having higher bandwidth won't make a difference.

I think the issue there is that you're trying to load something that's already set, untick that option completely as it won't be changing too often. It does stay, General Gaming hasn't been set, it just shows the profile at the top of the list, not what is currently loaded.

It's all about finding what works best for you so if that works best then that is awesome :) 

Give your streaming PC more in device prio. If you're streaming from the console take it out of hyper traffic as it is only meant for low latency traffic so will cause issues.

Archived