Best settings, Preemptive or Reactive

I currently have a 100/5 Mbps connection.  I understand that if I want to achieve the true 100Mbps throughput  thru the router, I need to set the R1 to "Reactive" in the congestion control section of the R1.  My question is:

Is Preemptive better  at controlling "ping spikes" vs Reactive settings?  I don't care about bandwidth, I care about ping spikes more.

• Netduma Staff

I currently have a 100/5 Mbps connection.  I understand that if I want to achieve the true 100Mbps throughput  thru the router, I need to set the R1 to "Reactive" in the congestion control section of the R1.  My question is:

Is Preemptive better  at controlling "ping spikes" vs Reactive settings?  I don't care about bandwidth, I care about ping spikes more.

Well I think Preemptive is a smoother algorithm. I'm not sure if it is better at controlling ping spikes, but I think its meant to be a better algorithm overall - it just can't handle the higher speeds.

I don't think it would affect ping spikes (can't say for sure though), but if you really don't care about bandwidth, imo Preemptive is a better algorithm :)

I prefer preemptive.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Premeptive should handle ping spikes caused by others much better mate.

I'll look into jitter analysis soon!

Archived