Port Forward setup/Wifi extender

Hi,

I'm looking to acquire a Netduma R1 based on the feedback I've had from friends and reading about it on this and other forums. Before doing so I just want to validate a few assumptions based on my proposed setup because I've been bitten in the past and regretted it.

I've got a new house with Virgin Media (UK) 200Mbps DS and 12Mbps US cable internet. This comes with a completely useless superhub 3.0 which doesn't port forward (on current firmware), has an interface built for a child and runs dog slow when making any changes. It just doesn’t want to play nicely.

I would like to have:

Superhub3 (modem mode) > Netduma R1 > Powerline adaptor / Wi-Fi extender

All three devices are in my lounge on ground floor side of house and connected by Ethernet cable. Connected to the powerline adaptor extension upstairs is an Xbox 360, Xbox One and a Gaming PC. All other devices laptops/iPhone etc. are to be connected via Wi-Fi from the Netduma or powerline adaptor extender.

Does a powerline Wi-Fi extender work ok with Netduma - I've seen posts that say the ethernet/powerline work ok but nothing about additional Wi-Fi extender?

Can you still port forward from the Netduma with the Superhub in modem mode and can you port forward to multiple devices? I want to enable the correct port ranges for XBL for both 360 and X1. (Apologies if covered in a wiki – not sure if this was the unpnp thing)

• Administrators

Hey welcome to the forum!

That would be the recommended setup. Yes we use wi-fi extenders in my house and we also have Virgin, it works just fine. 

Yes you can port forward with the duma to any/all devices connected behind the duma :)

Archived