Question b4 purchase about party play

I want to buy the netduma because of all the positive feed back cod aw players report. I experience lag comp issues like 60 percent of the time however I'm absolutely at my worst state when im in party play on xbox one I almost never have good games. According to most videos I've watched this router helps with lag comp by allowing to connect to servers closer to you. So this brings me to my questions.

1. The 2 people I play cod in party mode most with are pretty far from me in nyc, my brother in Tampa Florida and my friend in Toronto Canada. Can I still see improvement in ping while in a party with them no matter who is hosting. Will it still be a smooth game as if I were playing alone?

2. When I play in party mode even if my ping results are better how will it effect my friends located far away from me, will they experience lag because the geo filters are only finding servers near me ?

Any one who has played cod with party members far away please detail your experience and any special setup requirements. Thanks in advance

• Netduma Staff

The router doesn't remove lag compensation, it decreases the ping to hosts my limiting the distance between you and the hosts you can connect to. This might decrease the affect you feel lag compensation has, but it is not the function of the router :)

1. The 2 people I play cod in party mode most with are pretty far from me in nyc, my brother in Tampa Florida and my friend in Toronto Canada. Can I still see improvement in ping while in a party with them no matter who is hosting. Will it still be a smooth game as if I were playing alone?

It would probably be best to set your home location between all three of you so that you all get a decent connection. If you set it so that it just covers you, they are going to get bad connections - you would get very good connections though :)

You should still see an improvement who ever is hosting, because you will be limiting the in-game host to one that is near you and hopefully has a low ping.

2. When I play in party mode even if my ping results are better how will it effect my friends located far away from me, will they experience lag because the geo filters are only finding servers near me ?

I sort of answered this in the previous answer, but you will need to set the location as equally as far away from each other so that you all experience a decent game. How many km do you live away from each other? I would say that as long as you are all within 1500km from each other at the most, you should all be able to experience better games.

For me personally, the router is ver effective and I find very good games when playing. I'm not really too bothered about lag comp - in my eyes it just makes the game fairer - anyone can destroy the other team of they are lagging, lag comp equals out the playing field and if you actually research into what lag comp actually is, you will see that it is completely necessary in the games. A bit of topic, so let me move back to my experience with it. For me when I bought it, I experienced lag because of local congestion (other people using the internet in my house). The Netduma instantly and affectively solved the problem - no one in the house noticed anything different. I'm not sure why you lag, whether it is high ping to host because of distance or local congestion, but the Netduma can minimise both of those.

There is loads more info on the buyers guide including compatible games and some other interesting things that you might want to read before purchasing.

Hope this has answered most of your questions :)

Guest Netduma Fraser

Hey Spedie, glad to see you are considering buying our router! Crossy has answered your questions superbly, the only thing I will add is that you'll be able to add your friends to your allow list so you can connect to them regardless if they are in your filter or not, this will be necessary to put the filter in between all of you like Crossy says. 

Thanks for the speedy response. I didn't word my question correctly but I fully understand lag comp is necessary, the experience you describe as a fair gameplay environment is exactly what I'm insearch of. I'm so tired of watching kill cams that show a whole different story of what really happened. It's going to be hard figuring out what a good home location because from newyork Toronto is about 500 km and Tampa is 1600 km. also I plan on putting this router in bridge mode and disabling wifi and connecting it to my asus router already in place I have i great connection and I don't have issues with other devices in the house using up all the bandwidth will it be okay to have it wired up this way for my purposes?

• Netduma Staff

Thanks for the speedy response. I didn't word my question correctly but I fully understand lag comp is necessary, the experience you describe as a fair gameplay environment is exactly what I'm insearch of. I'm so tired of watching kill cams that show a whole different story of what really happened. It's going to be hard figuring out what a good home location because from newyork Toronto is about 500 km and Tampa is 1600 km. also I plan on putting this router in bridge mode and disabling wifi and connecting it to my asus router already in place I have i great connection and I don't have issues with other devices in the house using up all the bandwidth will it be okay to have it wired up this way for my purposes?

The R1 doesn't go into bridge mode as far as I know. It would be better to but the Netgear in bridg-mode and connect it to the Netduma. That way to can take advantage all of the other features that come with the Netduma and not just the Host Filtering. :)

I am the only UK member of our clan, the rest are Canada (west coast) and USA coast to coast.

I host most of the time with my geo filter set to about 1000 km and the other guys never complain of lagging out. Occasionally we have a few chat problems but I think that is more to do with their less than optimal Nat types.

When I join East coast USA (not party leader with geo filter off) I ping around 100-120 MS and game play hit detection etc is all good. How it should be.

Before the R1 I could not play on a US party host or server the lag was awful.

I still when joining West coast have lag issues but that is to be expected really due to the massive distance.

I am hardwired and use the R1 as my only router.

I have bought numerous routers during my online gaming (many years) and the R1 is hands down the best purchase I have ever made. The way it handles my home network to optimise my gaming just works.

I mean it does exactly what it says on the tin in a consistent manner.

Archived