Wifi interference could cause you lag symptoms!- SOLUTION

So I wanted to share with you all my experience from getting the Netduma. My original setup was a nighthawk R8000 router with a Netgear WNDR 3700 acting as an Access point. My plan was to make my Netduma the main router and use my current routers as access points. I ran into a little trouble at first thinking my setup wasn't correct because my routers(netters) were showing up in the device list. After some help from Ian and some other people on this message board I came to the conclusion that my setup was in fact correct. Using the geofilter I played some advanced warfare hoping on my PS4 hoping for my lag issues to end. I was still getting what I thought was lag was a drifting effect or loss of control of my player and frame rate slowing down was the best to my knowledge. Using the geofilter feature I noticed that I was connecting to a server in texas from where I live in denver colorado. I couldn't update the quality of this server to add it to my allow or deny list so I assumed that this was in fact a dedicated server. My lag experience was a little different as at times the game was going fast and smooth, but then I would get these intermediate delays or symptoms that I mentioned earlier.

I moved my filter around and messed with all kind of settings and I was about to give up thinking that my location just wasn't good and that for whatever reason that despite me being able to connect a dedicated server, something just wasn't right. I was going to put the blame that advanced warfare programmers and engineers just didn't set things up right. Thankfully with the ping graph feature I saw that I was connecting to the texas server at 25-30 ms, which I think is super good for a gaming experience. I was out of options and was going to accept the fact that advanced warfare was just a game that I would just not play because of lag. Since I had my netduma setup, I also played some destiny and one night I noticed some drifting type lag where you tell the controller to go a certain direction and it lags up to where its hard for you to aim to sort of speak. I thought maybe this was again just typical lag issues but this was the first time for this to happen to me. I slept on it and in the morning I thought of every possible things I could try to resolve my issues.

One was get a new cable modem since it was 8 years old to eliminate any chance of that being faulty and the other was move my nighthawk away from my tv and ps4. My nighthawk has always given me good wireless speeds and never thought twice of any issues. Since I got the netduma, the only thing that changed in my room where my ps4 is that my laptop was in the room and connected on a 5 ghz channel. I also play with a Astro gaming A50 headset that also runs on 5 ghz frequency. My hunch was that there is a slight chance that my nighthawk and all my wireless devices was causing interference with my PS4 or the controller which I'm guessing also runs on a 5 ghz channel. So i moved my nighthawk to an upstairs room in my house as an AP. After doing this I again tried advanced warfare and low and behold I had 3 of the best lag free games ever. I tried not to get too excited but I later played destiny and no issues at all. 

Before I got my Netduma I was getting legitimate and once I installed my Netduma, this was fixed, but a new problem arouse that appeared to be lag and that was my wifi interfering with my ps4 controller. Again, this was very subtle, and being a gamer for over 24 years I'm pretty good at picking up issues. I suggest if you're getting good pings with the geofilter ping graph, make sure that your ps4 is somewhere where there can't be interference and that there are not too many wifi devices near where you game. I can't tell you how excited I am and thanks to the Netduma features, I was able to finally figure out what was going on. I LOVE MY NETDUMA and would recommend it to anyone!! Keep up the good work guys. Let me know If anyone else runs into similar issues, let me know as I will try to help anyway I can.

-ORINGER

Guest Netduma_Iain

Fascinating ORGINER I'd never thought of that, well hopefully that can help other people as well. I've done a very very very quick google search it looks like controllers may use 2.4ghz which is duma wifi so that could be it as well. Definitely worth doing some research on. 

Thanks for the kind words mate, and I'm very happy its working for you.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Ok tad bit more research, looks like controllers use bluetooth which makes sense. apparently (my physical wifi knowledge is limited) they should NOT be interference issues because of the power of the two devices HOWEVER turtle beaches mention it in their support: http://support.turtlebeach.com/entry/830516923/

So I think you could definitely be onto something, especially considering how many devices you have. I think we may need to update the wiki to mention this as well. 

Funnily enough I noticed some interference issues with an xbox 360 controller when I had my R1 sitting very close to my Xbox.  Randomly the xbox home screen dialogue (the one you get when you press the xbox button) would appear.

I thought it was my controller going bad but it also started happening with my other controllers and my fanatec steering wheel so I moved the R1 to the other side of the room and the issue went away.  The R1 does have a really strong wi-fi signal, better than my previous TP-link with 3 external aerials so I do think there is something to this.

There has to be, once I moved my nighthawk router which was my wireless access point to a different area, my gaming experience has been nothing but amazing. My netduma has its wireless radio off. It's such a subtle issue, but if you're gaming and getting lag symptoms at random times when you're frame rate is blazing and your getting good ping tests from servers the cause could be from your controller getting interfered with. Anyways, good stuff

There has to be, once I moved my nighthawk router which was my wireless access point to a different area, my gaming experience has been nothing but amazing. My netduma has its wireless radio off. It's such a subtle issue, but if you're gaming and getting lag symptoms at random times when you're frame rate is blazing and your getting good ping tests from servers the cause could be from your controller getting interfered with. Anyways, good stuff boys

Archived