Ethernet over Power Testing With R1

So I have my XBOX ONE about 20 feet away from my R1 and for installation purposes I made a Ethernet cable and stretched it across the room.  I was happy with the R1's performance, but did not like the cord in the middle of the floor.  So I turned on wireless and the performance seemed to downgraded slightly although all ping test were close to each other.  Results below are average of about 20 test:

Wired PIng = 21ms                   Wired DN = 60 mb/s              Wired Up = 15 mb/s

Wireless Ping = 27 ms              Wireless DN = 35 mb/s          Wireless up = 9 mb/s

Internet diagnostics from R1 on wired and wireless yielded the same results:

Ping: GOOD    DN: Exceptional   UP: Exceptional  Packet loss: 0%

So I ordered a set of powerline Ethernet over power adapters.  For those who are not familiar with this a kit comes with two devices that plug into your power outlets.  AC power in the US travels @ 60 Hz and internet signals travel between 10 million to 100 million Hz, so theoretically there should be no interference.  One unit plugs in by R1 and other unit plugs in by device you would like LAN to.  Installation is super easy.  

I'm not sure if I can mention the companies name or model that I used, but I was just thinking about how much I need TP for my bunghole, and LINK: the legend of zelda is my favorite game.  In the US you dail 911 for emergencies and 411 for phone number look up, but what happens if you dial 511???

Please keep in mind this was my personal experience with a product.  

It was Horrible.  I was getting pings of up to 1500 MS, DN as low as 1 mb/s, and up as low as .03 mb/s.  My PC was unresponsive, I really felt like I had just downloaded a virus.  The adapters get really hot really quick.  The lowest ping I was able to achieve was 250 ms.  And it gets crazier.  When I unplugged everything my cable router and R1 was screwed up.  I had to reset both to achieve normal service again.

Powerline adapters have several factors that can influence their performance.  I felt like I had very good environment for the installation.  I was not trying to travel a extreme distance, my house was built in mid 90's so its electrical should be in good shape.  I even tried upgrading the device's firmware ware, but observed no change at all.

If you try a device like this, my advise would be to buy it from a store with a hassle free return policy.  I would love to hear your experience if you have tried a product like this.

Guest Netduma_Iain

I love my homeplugs, I know nothing about them either. But the one I got was develo homeplug. It was 2 years or so ago and I've never had any issue with them at all. I can't remember the reason I bout them in particular I think they may have been the cheapest or the only ones available. 

I use solwise and TP-link homeplugs they are excellent, almost identical to running a LAN cable never had an issue.

Silly question but you did plug them straight into a wall oultet and not an extension lead right? 

EDIT

Forgot to mention, the only time I've seen bad results with homeplugs is if the house has 3 phase power or there is some kind of electricity measuring device attached to the power network, not the electricity meter (lol) I mean those energy saving devices that show you your current consumption etc.

I use the tp ones too straight into wall socket, not so good into extension cable.

First is from hub into socket below it then one in living room about ten feet away and two on first floor about ten feet and twenty feet. Cannot see a difference between them and straight hard wired, with extension cable could only get moderate nat though but straight into socket open nat

Crazy idea, but do you think I had such bad experience because adapters were so close to each other?

No definitely not that close is better generally. Have you tried different sockets, sometimes a bad socket can cause issues

I want to say thank you to Iain and Akic.  I had these power adapters box up and literally siting by the door waiting for UPS to ship back to Amazon.  I decided to take a second stab at them.  I moved the R1 away from my router and now the adapters work perfectly.  They seem to add 3-10 ms of jitter to ping, but that to me is acceptable.  Thank you guys again. 

Iain- I started this thread to try and help people who are new to the R1 have a better experience, but I feel I have compromised my mission.  If you feel it necessary, please delete this thread.  If you feel it can help new comers, then keep it up. 

Side note, Really enjoying the new firmware upgrade.  Thanks to all the guys on the R1 team for all their hard work.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Glad to hear you fixed it caldera. You're thread is absolute fine. We're very liberal on our forum we try not to moderate or delete threads. 

I want to say thank you to Iain and Akic.  I had these power adapters box up and literally siting by the door waiting for UPS to ship back to Amazon.  I decided to take a second stab at them.  I moved the R1 away from my router and now the adapters work perfectly.  They seem to add 3-10 ms of jitter to ping, but that to me is acceptable.  Thank you guys again. 

Iain- I started this thread to try and help people who are new to the R1 have a better experience, but I feel I have compromised my mission.  If you feel it necessary, please delete this thread.  If you feel it can help new comers, then keep it up. 

Side note, Really enjoying the new firmware upgrade.  Thanks to all the guys on the R1 team for all their hard work.

Happy Days :)

Archived