Geo-filter with ping-assist: Either or both?

Hi,

When you have geo-filter and a ping-assist enabled, does it apply double-filtering or is it an either or type of situation?  Say I put the home marker at my location on the map and set a radius of 500km, and set the ping-assist feature to 50ms.  Could it first look at hosts within the radius AND below 50ms ping?  Or would it matchmake me when either criteria fits?  Or is ping-assist just an assistive fallback mechanism if no games are found? Geo-filter -> (no games) -> Ping-assist? 

Thanks,

-Kerry

• Netduma Staff

This is how it works:

Say you have GeoFilter at 1000km and PA at 50ms.

The duma gets a host within the range of the GeoFilter, it connects normally.

The Netduma gets a host outside of the GeoFilter, it checks the ping to the host, if the ping is less than what you have set in the PA, it allows you to connect even though it is outside the geographical range.

There is a little bit more info here as well :)

Hope this has answered your question  :)

So wouldn't it be more beneficial to mark your home in the middle of the ocean and let a game through with lower ping <40ms?  Or would you get perceivably better results if say, you enter a 60ms game within your range?  Or is the ping number to the host not all-telling?  Do you have better connections if the game matches you to a lobby within a geographic range versus a max ping value?  I always thought the lower the ping value, the better, no matter the distance.  Unfortunately, I live in the countryside and ping times drop drastically past a certain range.

Thanks for your answer.

Guest Netduma Fraser

So wouldn't it be more beneficial to mark your home in the middle of the ocean and let a game through with lower ping <40ms?  Or would you get perceivably better results if say, you enter a 60ms game within your range?  Or is the ping number to the host not all-telling?  Do you have better connections if the game matches you to a lobby within a geographic range versus a max ping value?  I always thought the lower the ping value, the better, no matter the distance.  Unfortunately, I live in the countryside and ping times drop drastically past a certain range.

Thanks for your answer.

It can work yes, however its not recommend. Its Ping Assist, it assists the Geo-filter, its not meant to be used on its own and subsequently can take longer to find games etc. Its best used in conjunction with the Geo-filter. The lower the ping value the better yes, one of the causes of lag is due to the distance from you to the host. For example, im going to get a high ping if I play a game thats hosted in America, compared to the UK where I live. Ping assist was brought on board because you can get lower ping games outside your radius. So using both the Geo-filter and PA gives you the best chance to get a low ping game. 

Archived