Setup Help/Couple of Questions

Good Afternoon, 

I'm looking into buying a Netduma router as it could be the answer to my problems but have a couple of setup questions before this, the first and foremost being if it would be compatible with my current configuration.

I have two Asus N66U routers for my home, one upstairs (main) and a secondary one downstairs (slaved to upstairs). I have fixed wireless so the modem is separate and a nonissue (just a little black box with an Ethernet cable sticking out of it really.) If I bought a Netduma swapping it for the main upstairs router could I keep my current setup of a router on each floor? 

Secondly, I have a connection of 3mb/s down and 0.3mb/s up(rural area) I generally come home from work with someone on netflix and another on youtube preventing me from playing anything. Would Anti-Flood allow me to play a game such as CS:GO with my connection not spiking between 60-400ms while they stream their video or is my bandwidth simply too limited? 

Last but not least, would Anti-Flood still work if the devices streaming were connected to the downstairs Asus router? The house is large enough that not all devices can connect to the upstairs router. 

Any help would be appreciated,

IllusiveCam

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum! 

Great to see you're interested in the router. 

You could do that setup if you wanted, however you would not achieve all the features the duma offers. All devices have to be connected to the duma or behind it connected to another router/switch etc. 

It sounds like the main router is connected to modem with other router connected to the main one, is that right? Either way we would recommend modem > R1 (wifi off or if needed make sure there is no wireless interference, choose best channel, perhaps Asus 5Ghz as well.) > Asus (AP mode) and not use the other router. 

Yes it would, however your upload speed is quite low. Just enough to game with really. I believe CS:GO requires less than other games though. If indeed applying anti-flood lowers your upload too much for CS an alternative would be to put your PC in hyper-traffic (though would recommend it any way even if your upload wasn't that low), meaning all gaming traffic will be sent/received first so their streaming shouldn't affect you.

As said above all devices have to be connected to the router or be behind the router in order for anti-flood to work.

Hope that answers your questions!

Hey, welcome to the forum! 

Great to see you're interested in the router. 

You could do that setup if you wanted, however you would not achieve all the features the duma offers. All devices have to be connected to the duma or behind it connected to another router/switch etc. 

It sounds like the main router is connected to modem with other router connected to the main one, is that right? Either way we would recommend modem > R1 (wifi off or if needed make sure there is no wireless interference, choose best channel, perhaps Asus 5Ghz as well.) > Asus (AP mode) and not use the other router. 

Yes it would, however your upload speed is quite low. Just enough to game with really. I believe CS:GO requires less than other games though. If indeed applying anti-flood lowers your upload too much for CS an alternative would be to put your PC in hyper-traffic (though would recommend it any way even if your upload wasn't that low), meaning all gaming traffic will be sent/received first so their streaming shouldn't affect you.

As said above all devices have to be connected to the router or be behind the router in order for anti-flood to work.

Hope that answers your questions!

Hello Again,

That would be correct, so if I go modem>R1(wifi off)>Asus(in AP mode) I'll be able to get all the features of the Netduma? I.E Blu-Ray with netflix/a laptop connected to the Asus in AP mode would still be affected by anti-flood. Just wanting to make sure I'm correct with how I took that in your post.

Regardless, you've sold me on it. I've tried everything to get my games playable hopefully this solves the problem.

Thank you very much,

A soon to be customer

Archived