Elgato stream settings advice.

bagsta69

Hi yall, Ok after discovering you have to turn OFF HDCP on the PS4 I finally get to see my display and can record stuff etc, (still playing around with optimal settings). But, I link the elgato software to my twitch account which shows it as registered but on the Elgato software it still shows as no accounts. I have unregistered and re registered several times with no luck.

Anybody any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Wow, just looked at a video I recorded at 720 not 60 frames and even full screen it looks better than on my tv. Took a while to process and audio is out of sync by about a second but I would imagine I can lower the quality somewhat to help solve those issues as at the settings I have it is way to good quality lol.

Any advice on the streaming thing welcome or should I start the painful process of learning obs?

I would definitely recommend learning how to use OBS, or XSpilt on the PC the Elgato HD 60 Pro is installed in.

The main reason you want to use an external program like this is one word:

Control.

-You can control the bit rates and CPU encoding to give you the best trade-off of image quality and FPS. It will be different for everybody depending on preference and upload speed.

-You can create Scenes that contain your overlays and live alerts e.g. "Mr. X just followed", or "Mrs. Y just donated $1 Billion dollars!", etc.

-Most importantly, you can also record the stream in its entirety to your Hard Drive for editing and upload to YT as most content creators market themselves on two fronts.

It might seem daunting, but if you look up OBS tutorials on Youtube, they will walk you through the process of setting it up. The cool thing about OBS is it has specific auto-detection functions that capture whatever stream or program you have running e.g. The Elgato HD Program. So, this is why OBS is the standard for partnered and non-partnered streamers alike.

Main problem at the minute us getting audio from tbelite 800s to video or to the stream!!! As opposed to pc audio for chat

The big thing streamers have to concede is you have to "dumb down" your current system in order to broadcast vs. enjoy the games to their fullest.

I have a 5.1 Surround Sound system for my PC, but when I decided to stream, I knew I was going to have to mix it down to stereo e.g. disconnect the Surround system and just use two channel stereo inputs / ouputs (analog and HDMI).

So, depending on what other equipment (head phones, mix amps, etc.) you have you are probably going to have to set it up in a way that is not familiar to you, or "less than optimal" for personal listening experience. 

Also, I'd go with OBS Studio (multiplatform) since it has new features, but... Make sure whatever version you decide on has 64-bit support to help take some of the overhead off the CPU for encoding.

Cheers Raddy my man:) How are you dude?

Hopefully once I get this shit set up right yall can come and worship at the Church of the Reverend and listen to some Reverend Ramblings on a Sunday. LOL.

AHAHAHAHA PMSL at the clint eastwood cat thingy.

Cheers Raddy my man:) How are you dude?

Hopefully once I get this shit set up right yall can come and worship at the Church of the Reverend and listen to some Reverend Ramblings on a Sunday. LOL.

AHAHAHAHA PMSL at the clint eastwood cat thingy.

Ill make sure to where my pimp suit :), im using Adobe Premiere Pro CC now for rendering and i must say the quality is far superior to Vegas. If you need any Adobe software msg me as i have them all in one ISO :).

Ill make sure to where my pimp suit :), im using Adobe Premiere Pro CC now for rendering and i must say the quality is far superior to Vegas. If you need any Adobe software msg me as i have them all in one ISO :).

I used to use Adobe premier years ago but my version is now long incompatible. It is fantastic software.

Thanks, Raddy1993, for the video.

There are a couple of things, however, that need clarification, IMO.

1) To make sure we are all on the same page... I assume The Reverend is using the Elgato HD 60 Pro internal capture card (vs. the external USB 2.0 capture card)?

2) If one is true, he can disregard any settings that have to do with audio offset. Just leave them "as is" in the OBS settings menu.

3) Drift0r uses 3400mbps (3.5MB) for his streams, but that's because he's partnered. As an unpartnered streamer, I would advise using no more than 2500mbps (2.5MB) @ 30fps. The reason is the higher the bit rate = better visual quality, but this also cuts out a large portion of potential viewers if they are not watching on powerful desktops, and/or have slow internet. The majority of Twitch users watch on mobile devices like tablets and phones. This is why you want to limit your video quality to "OK" versus trying to reproduce Blu-Ray fidelity across the internet... Which is impossible at the current time, anyway. So, you will have to decide what is acceptable to you in terms of visual fidelity vs. making your stream more accessible to the average viewer.

I am using the external card as I didnt really want to have to upgrade my PC as well.

Im taking baby steps getting some captured video down first and getting that to upload with good quality before looking at the streaming options.

Got some great quality 720 footage but it doesnt look that good once up on youtube.

More tweaking and googling I guess. lol

The Elgato HD60 works well for just recording video (to be edited and uploaded later).

If you want to stream in real-time... You will most likely need to invest in the HD 60 Pro internal capture card.

You can't realistically stream with just a USB 2.0 connection without massive audio and video delay. Hence, internal capture cards are for streaming and not just recording video to edit later.

Video looks bad on YT because of compression artifacts. 

First, you compressed it when you rendered your final edit, and then YT compresses it even more for the so-called HD resolutions (which are nowhere near real 720p 1080p, etc. even though they call them these). So, it's not going to look like Blu-Ray quality.

However, as you discovered, if you watch it on a mobile device it's going to look better because it's a smaller image by default.

The Elgato HD60 works well for just recording video (to be edited and uploaded later).

If you want to stream in real-time... You will most likely need to invest in the HD 60 Pro internal capture card.

You can't realistically stream with just a USB 2.0 connection without massive audio and video delay. Hence, internal capture cards are for streaming and not just recording video to edit later.

Video looks bad on YT because of compression artifacts. 

First, you compressed it when you rendered your final edit, and then YT compresses it even more for the so-called HD resolutions (which are nowhere near real 720p 1080p, etc. even though they call them these). So, it's not going to look like Blu-Ray quality.

However, as you discovered, if you watch it on a mobile device it's going to look better because it's a smaller image by default.

I record with the Elgato HD60 and then run the raw .ts file through Adobe Prem Pro CC giving it a upscaled frame size and a high bitrate thus making YouTube give us more bandwidth on playback. What do you think of the quality ?

I record with the Elgato HD60 and then run the raw .ts file through Adobe Prem Pro CC giving it a upscaled frame size and a high bitrate thus making YouTube give us more bandwidth on playback. What do you think of the quality ?

It looks very pixelated and blurry because whenever you upscale something that automatically equals stretching pixels and thus, more artificats.

The 60fps fluidity is fine, but the overall presentation isn't as good as if were recorded at a higher bit rate from the start. Even though YT compresses things, you can get around this by having a high(er) quality source file you upload instead of upscaling a lower bit rate recording.

Archived