1.03.6g Extremely buggy/broken on my R1

Look... I started out being nice months ago, but you guys have been a pain in my side far too long. I got home about 20 minutes ago. Booted up my computer, logged onto my modem. No new firmware..... ok ok. Maybe my ISP hasn't pushed it out to my modem yet right? I call up cox. I get a tier 1 tech. He doesn't know anything about firmware and pushes the call to a Tier 2 tech. I explain everything to him about what you just said. He looks up my modem and tells me there is only 1 firmware in the entire system for my modem. There isn't even a beta firmware available. I am on the one and only firmware available.

I have the Netgear CM500.

And again he also explained to me that EEE or Green Ethernet or IEEE or whatever the heck you want to call it, does not exist in the firmware for any of the Cox modem Firmware.

I am beyond frustrated with the level of service I am receiving. You guys may be growing and you may have a lot of happy customers, but I am not one of them. You guys have wasted my time for months and have fed me only lies. Heck Iain won't even read my post because he still seems to think that my modem has EEE which my ISP tells me does not. You guys have not given me a list of working or compatible modems. What the heck is going on?!?!?!

A couple of things...

- You're not getting your issue resolved using your current modem. There is obviously something non-compatible with your modem/duma combination. There are two known modems (as far as I know) that have issues, the CM500 and the SurfBoard 6183. This has been stated in a few different threads. Now whether you ISP says the firmware is utilizing or not utilizing EEE, that really doesn't matter. It's obviously not working.

- I completely understand your frustration as your issue has not been resolved, either by your ISP or the Duma.

- There is no point in arguing that your CM500 should work with the Duma because your ISP tells you they aren't using the EEE. It's obviously not working, so you need to find another solution.

*As a side note, the tech people on the phone at ISP's do not have much knowledge of anything. They mainly work from a script and if you have something off beat like you do, it will be hard pressed to find someone who even knows what you're talking about. I have been having T3 and T4 timeouts on my modem for months and not one person i've spoke to on the phone at Charter tech support knew what either of those were. I've even had tech's come to my house and not know what they were (related to the upstream signal by the way).* 

- You have two options in my opinion...

1. Stop using the Netduma and go back to another router.

2. Purchase one of the known working modems (such as the Surfboard 6141 or the Netgear CM400 - both of which I own and have utilized with no issues (I'm an IT Project Manager so I know what I'm doing)) and get it up and running with your Netduma.

- You can then sell your CM500 on ebay or craigslist or something to recoup some of the costs of having to buy multiple modems.

Although those options are not ideal, and it would be nice if your modem just worked, it's not working as you'd hope. So it's time to find another solution to get you up and running.

*No...I am not defending Netduma...Although I believe the customer support is good, there is a lot of room for improvement to make it a better experience for consumers...especially those that are in need of help, such as yourself. A compatible ISP/modem guide would be helpful, especially since certain modems do not work. These are however the growing pains of a young company. As early adopters, we all have to live with growing pains as they figure everything out.*

This post is in no way trying to be a jerk as I know you're frustrated. But I truly think it's time to figure out what you're going to do next as you don't seem to be getting the answer you're looking for, either from your ISP or Netduma.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of things...

- You're not getting your issue resolved using your current modem. There is obviously something non-compatible with your modem/duma combination. There are two known modems (as far as I know) that have issues, the CM500 and the SurfBoard 6183. This has been stated in a few different threads. Now whether you ISP says the firmware is utilizing or not utilizing EEE, that really doesn't matter. It's obviously not working.

- I completely understand your frustration as your issue has not been resolved, either by your ISP or the Duma.

- There is no point in arguing that your CM500 should work with the Duma because your ISP tells you they aren't using the EEE. It's obviously not working, so you need to find another solution.

*As a side note, the tech people on the phone at ISP's do not have much knowledge of anything. They mainly work from a script and if you have something off beat like you do, it will be hard pressed to find someone who even knows what you're talking about. I have been having T3 and T4 timeouts on my modem for months and not one person i've spoke to on the phone at Charter tech support knew what either of those were. I've even had tech's come to my house and not know what they were (related to the upstream signal by the way).* 

- You have two options in my opinion...

1. Stop using the Netduma and go back to another router.

2. Purchase one of the known working modems (such as the Surfboard 6141 or the Netgear CM400 - both of which I own and have utilized with no issues (I'm an IT Project Manager so I know what I'm doing)) and get it up and running with your Netduma.

- You can then sell your CM500 on ebay or craigslist or something to recoup some of the costs of having to buy multiple modems.

Although those options are not ideal, and it would be nice if your modem just worked, it's not working as you'd hope. So it's time to find another solution to get you up and running.

*No...I am not defending Netduma...Although I believe the customer support is good, there is a lot of room for improvement to make it a better experience for consumers...especially those that are in need of help, such as yourself. A compatible ISP/modem guide would be helpful, especially since certain modems do not work. These are however the growing pains of a young company. As early adopters, we all have to live with growing pains as they figure everything out.*

This post is in no way trying to be a jerk as I know you're frustrated. But I truly think it's time to figure out what you're going to do next as you don't seem to be getting the answer you're looking for, either from your ISP or Netduma.

I get that and thank you for trying. What is more frustrated is I started out by buying the 6183 when I first got this router. I started having issues immediately. I come to the forums and ask for help and a moderator told me to get the cm500 because the 6183 has issues. great. so i do that. still the issues persist. now im being told the cm500 has issues. how am I supposed to trust anything anyone tells me when I am dealing with this kind of support?

• Netduma Staff

I get that and thank you for trying. What is more frustrated is I started out by buying the 6183 when I first got this router. I started having issues immediately. I come to the forums and ask for help and a moderator told me to get the cm500 because the 6183 has issues. great. so i do that. still the issues persist. now im being told the cm500 has issues. how am I supposed to trust anything anyone tells me when I am dealing with this kind of support?

Are you able to link to where a mod recommended the modem? I don't seam to be able to find such post, although it is hard to find things on here.

If the modems do have the EEE bug, then I'm not sure why your anger is directed so much at Netduma, when the problem lies within the faulty modem.

Are you able to link to where a mod recommended the modem? I don't seam to be able to find such post, although it is hard to find things on here.

If the modems do have the EEE bug, then I'm not sure why your anger is directed so much at Netduma, when the problem lies within the faulty modem.

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/7619-problems-with-my-netduma-update-partial-fix/?fromsearch=1

Looking back he is only a senior member, but he said he wasn't having issues with it. Fraser was posting in the thread as well. He could have prevented me from buying this modem or at least warned me it had issues as well and I would have gladly returned it.

To answer your second question as I have explained at least 3 other times in this thread. The modem doesn't have an EEE bug if it's not enabled in the firmware. That is straight from the modem manufacturer's and my ISP's mouth. I called both. Tier 2 techs from both companies. My ISP disabled it in the firmware and there is no option to turn it on or off. That's why.

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/7619-problems-with-my-netduma-update-partial-fix/?fromsearch=1

Looking back he is only a senior member, but he said he wasn't having issues with it. Fraser was posting in the thread as well. He could have prevented me from buying this modem or at least warned me it had issues as well and I would have gladly returned it.

To answer your second question as I have explained at least 3 other times in this thread. The modem doesn't have an EEE bug if it's not enabled in the firmware. That is straight from the modem manufacturer's and my ISP's mouth. I called both. Tier 2 techs from both companies. My ISP disabled it in the firmware and there is no option to turn it on or off. That's why.

I get the frustration and anger that this hasn't been resolved or that you were told something that ended up not being true. I'll point back to my post above though, it's time to figure out what you're going to do next. I guarantee that both the 6141 and the CM400 work without issues with the Netduma. I would either buy one of these modems or just stop using the Netduma all together. The Netduma team nor your ISP are going to get the CM500 or the 6183 to work, so there's no point in continue to belabor that issue. Just figure out what you're going to do next and move on. 

I get the frustration and anger that this hasn't been resolved or that you were told something that ended up not being true. I'll point back to my post above though, it's time to figure out what you're going to do next. I guarantee that both the 6141 and the CM400 work without issues with the Netduma. I would either buy one of these modems or just stop using the Netduma all together. The Netduma team nor your ISP are going to get the CM500 or the 6183 to work, so there's no point in continue to belabor that issue. Just figure out what you're going to do next and move on. 

I understand your concern, but my concern is the fact that the modem may not be my issues, yet that is what they want to blame without actually doing a 1on1 or some other form of tech support.

"oh your having issues? what modem do you have? oh there is the problem right there. boom. problem solved. next!"

That is not tech support.

I purchases a 6141 on craigslist last night for $40 even though I told myself I wouldn't throw money at any more modems.

I set it up, but have not been able to test anything yet. I will post back with the results soon.

• Administrators

Hello,

These are the facts:

• Some Motorola/Cisco/(maybe others?) modems have an EEE bug that has nothing to do with our firmware
  • CoX cable employee informed me via email the bug is fixed but you must contact them

Either way it is not our problem. We tried to fix it even though it is again not our problem. Our firmware adheres to every specification correctly the fault is with modems that have the chip. I don't have the details of the bug because again it is not our firmware and we have no relationship with the OEM. 

I understand that is frustrating for you but those are the facts. Us repeating ourselves is not going to fix anything.

If you happen to have Cox as your ISP I've been informed you should contact them to upgrade their firmware. I believe 2 people have already done that.

Best,

Iain

Hello,

These are the facts:

• Some Motorola/Cisco/(maybe others?) modems have an EEE bug that has nothing to do with our firmware
  • CoX cable employee informed me via email the bug is fixed but you must contact them

Either way it is not our problem. We tried to fix it even though it is again not our problem. Our firmware adheres to every specification correctly the fault is with modems that have the chip. I don't have the details of the bug because again it is not our firmware and we have no relationship with the OEM. 

I understand that is frustrating for you but those are the facts. Us repeating ourselves is not going to fix anything.

If you happen to have Cox as your ISP I've been informed you should contact them to upgrade their firmware. I believe 2 people have already done that.

Best,

Iain

I would like to talk to the specific employee that contacted you via email. Because the last 2 times I called cox and talked with a tier 2 tech. they tell me otherwise and that there is no new firmware available for the CM500 modem. I understand EEE may have a hardware chip controlling it and that this modem might have a faulty or buggy EEE chip, but Cox assures me that it is turned off via firmware. I am not trying to beat a dead horse here, but I am trying to figure out who is at fault here.

Either way, I did purchase a new modem so we will see if my technical issues are resolved.

• Administrators

I would like to talk to the specific employee that contacted you via email. Because the last 2 times I called cox and talked with a tier 2 tech. they tell me otherwise and that there is no new firmware available for the CM500 modem. I understand EEE may have a hardware chip controlling it and that this modem might have a faulty or buggy EEE chip, but Cox assures me that it is turned off via firmware. I am not trying to beat a dead horse here, but I am trying to figure out who is at fault here.

Either way, I did purchase a new modem so we will see if my technical issues are resolved.

I can't give you someones personal details. This is what I said to him.

"That is great news mate. So if we have a cox customer with that modem we just ask them to contact you guys?"

This was his response

"Pretty much, I’m working this side so our techs know whats up."

Archived