R1 Rebooting on its own

Akic

Had some weird behaviour last night with the R1 spontaneously rebooting on its own.

I was playing AW on the 360 and it happened 5 or so times during gameplay never while in a lobby, game would freeze and then I'd hear the beep of the R1 booting up.  I haven't changed anything in the config lately and it's been rock solid stable till now.

On the last reboot I stopped playing and reset congestion control/geo filter and so far today under normal non-gaming use I've had no reboots.

I did notice a buzzing noise coming from the unit last night while gaming but I've seen others report that but no-one mentioned spontaneous reboots.

My first thought was maybe the power supply is going bad or maybe a cloud update.  When I get a chance to game later I'll see if the problem is still there but in the meantime any thoughts anyone?

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Akic, that is definitely not normal, can you check the power supply first. If it persists I'll have to remote into your router and figure out what's going on.

Hi Akic, that is definitely not normal, can you check the power supply first. If it persists I'll have to remote into your router and figure out what's going on.

Hey Iain, I checked the power supply with a multimeter and it seems OK.  Does the R1 store logs? If so we can check out what was going on last night

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi mate I can try access it remotely and look at the logs. But you need to tick "Allow remove access to netduma team" in "Settings > Misc" :)

hey Akic i had a similar issue, incase it helps you maybe read through my issue topic too

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/985-r1-resetted-itself/

overall upgrading to coal mine + factory reset before solved it for me so far, 3 days without reset so far :)

Hey Od1n thanks for the reply

I looked over your thread before posting but I think it's a different issue, my settings were all intact after the reboots and it only reboots while playing a game not during normal use

Of course a factory reset is always a good last resort but don't really want to set everything up again if not needed, let's see what the Guru says after reviewing the logs (that's Iain's official nickname BTW ;))

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi mate,

I didn't see anything, but can you try reactive and see if it stops it? It it does seem to have stopped please remind me as I'd like to see why preemptive is causing that. Thanks!

Hi mate,

I didn't see anything, but can you try reactive and see if it stops it? It it does seem to have stopped please remind me as I'd like to see why preemptive is causing that. Thanks!

OK will do

Cheers mate

lol, yes it does. 

Deep packet processing has been off for the last week or so, I was testing to see if there was any game performance difference with it on or off. It was perfectly stable with it off until now, and also previously perfectly stable with it on.   The weird thing is I haven't tinkered with anything recently otherwise we'd have an obvious place to look.

I went back in and switched from reactive to preemptive and managed to get another reboot so thought yes that's it but now it won't reboot when I perform the same steps

Could this be a hardware issue?

I'd like to try another power supply but don't have anything with the right voltage

Guest Netduma_Iain

It sounds like a power problem, can you try a different power adapter and see if that helps. I'll also try one other thing it will take 30 mins or so

It sounds like a power problem, can you try a different power adapter and see if that helps. I'll also try one other thing it will take 30 mins or so

I don't have another power adapter with that voltage, if it's still doing it after you try your thing I'll have to see about getting a new one.

Is the power adapter covered under warranty?

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi mate, really sorry I didn't get a chance, I've been feeling a bit ill recently. Did you do anything to the power supply to fix it? 

No problem Iain, trying to diagnose stuff when you're not feeling well is an uphill struggle.

I didn't do anything with the power supply but after the last spate of reboots when I was switching back and forth between preemptive and reactive it seemed to settle down and haven't had a reboot since.  Played AW last night and everything was OK.

So let's leave this for now as it seems fine, if it happens again I'll let you know and we can dig around

Get well mate

Archived