Internet through Netduma significantly slower than through modem

Hey guys,

I have ATT Uverse as my service provider (unfortunately) and after having some issues, I had them change my modem out to a NVG599. Previously, my WIFI speed whether it was directly connected to the Netduma Wifi or the one provided directly by the ISP Hub would be approximately the same, so I knew the problem was that my ISP was the issue.

However, after getting the new modem, I have significantly faster speeds if I connect directly to the ISP Wifi over the Netduma one. When I run a speedtest, I'm getting 22 MBPS through the ATT Wifi, which is pretty bad, but less than 13 MBPS when I connect to the Netduma Wifi. I have a cable connecting from the modem to the POE of the Netduma, from which I had a direct ethernet cable to my PS4, and I'm still getting around speeds of around 10MBPS. When I connect the ethernet straight from my modem to the PS4, it goes back up to 22 MBPS.

Should I reset my Netduma? Any advice on how to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated, as I really love the product, and I want to keep using it.

I apologize in advance, I'm not the most tech savvy person, so you'll have to bear with me in understanding some things.

• Netduma Staff

Hey, welcome to the forum :)

The PS4 speed test is inaccurate so it is best not to go off what it says. Testing on wireless also isn't recommended for testing speeds, but as you are specifically testing wireless speeds, can you try doing it through a computer/laptop instead?

Also try pressing 'reset distribution' in congestion control and make sure the sliders are set to 100%.

Hey, thanks for the quick reply!

Sorry to not specify, but the initial test I did was through my laptop using the Netduma R1 connection versus the default modem connection. I tried resetting the distribution to what's recommended (it was already at that level though) and the issue is still persisting. To be honest, I don't feel a massive difference, but what's worrying me is that before I got this modem, I never had a disparity between the connections.

Thanks again for the help!

Plug your laptop sererately in to both the Duma and your ISP provider router with an ethernet cable and the check the speeds.

For some reason I have the same issue, if I do a wifi speed test the Duma is always half the speed yet I feel no difference in performance, yet if I plug my laptop via ethernet the speed tests are virtually identical

• Netduma Staff

Hey, thanks for the quick reply!

Sorry to not specify, but the initial test I did was through my laptop using the Netduma R1 connection versus the default modem connection. I tried resetting the distribution to what's recommended (it was already at that level though) and the issue is still persisting. To be honest, I don't feel a massive difference, but what's worrying me is that before I got this modem, I never had a disparity between the connections.

Thanks again for the help!

Try Soaks's suggestion and also make sure you are on the least congested wifi channel - there are instructions for finding that out here :)

Archived