I've got some issues with the R1 gaming router

Hey. i just hooked up my R1 router yesterday.
i have a technicolor tg389vn3 router, which i plugged my r1 gaming router into. 

I have had problems with opening port 443 on the technicolor router, as it has it reserved for some admin stuff, apparently.  
Would port forwarding from the R1 router open all ports, even if the router has it as standard to block it? I did a port forward from the R1 router and it didn't say it wasnt working, but i still am not sure if that 443 port was ever open on the techincolor router.

Also i don't see anything when i try to look at my networking monitor, sometimes i just lose my net connection, and it stays lost for a good while. 

Yesterday i tried fifa and the geo filter.    the first person on the radar screen seemed to work fine with pinging and tracing.   The second person was seemingly somewhere off the african west coast, way out on sea playing fifa.    the third person i met i couldnt even ping or see my radar screen, i didnt see any of his details.   

i still havent set the technicolor router as bridge, also my wifi on the technicolor is still active.   but would that ruin my network monitor for the devices that i've added to my R1 gaming router also?

When i try to give the Netduma router a DMZ through my technicolor router, everything is just utter chaos.    i am not sure what i should do here to be honest, and help would be appreciated ;)

Edit:  ohyeah.. when i do a connection test on my PS4, i get NAT-Type 3, which is being behind a firewall, if i am not mistaken.

And if i am playing War Thunder,  should i be able to see who i am connected to on my geo filter even if the game isnt on my service list?

When i click on the congestion control and set the allowed bandwidth of others down from 100% to 70% and click on update distribution, it just doesn't register.   i go into the host filtering menu and back to the congestion control, then it still shows the bandwidth of others still on 100%.  
If i click on the update distribution and refresh the screen with my F5, then it works.    is that correct?   

i don't know if this makes any sense to you, but i am pretty sure i havent set everything correctly.

Looking forward to be ultimate after you helped me resolve this, Netduma ;)

• Administrators

I'll try to answer your questions as best I can:

• You need to put the duma in the DMZ of the technicolor (what is the issue you get when trying to do this?), then the duma will open the ports that it needs automatically via UPnP. You can set these manually but don't have both UPnP and port forwarding on. What is the need to open that specific port? 
  • In network monitor the devices need to be highlighted in order for them to appear on the graphs.
  • Is this wifi you're losing connection on? If so disable wifi workaround in settings > miscellaneous
  • For Geo make sure you've followed this http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=why_can_t_i_see_anything_on_the_geofilterso it doesn't show anything oddly.
  • Sounds like Geo is not enabled, the button under your device should say "disable". Also tick strict mode and put ping assist at 0
  • All devices should be connected to the R1 otherwise you won't be able to make use of all the routers features
  • What is the issue with DMZ? Copy the WAN IP on the device manager and put it into the DMZ settings on the technicolor(usually found in firewall settings). If its a MAC address you need it starts with "e". Need bridge or DMZ. 
  • Don't know how that game plays exactly, is this console or PC? If you pick the correct service it should show up
  • If you're on the latest firmware 1.03.5 leave device prio reset and applied as there is a bug with it currently. It should apply properly, the link I gave above says to use Chrome, if you're not that could be the issue

Ok, got chrome now.  Network monitor works nicely now, along with the rest of the netduma router menu, so that is good. 

I've given netduma router a dmz through "assign a public IP address to a device,"  but my PS4 is still behind a firewall. 
So, i was thinking of trying to adding it through the firewall, but i do not know how. 

i looked through the manual on the internet, but it is not clear on what i should select in this particular case. 

I'll email a PDF file of the firewall menu just so you can see how it's set up. 
But my issue is just where do i put the WAN IP, which services do i select if any.  just(i hope) basic stuff that wont take more than 2 minutes of your time. 

Then i can see if it makes any difference to the other method, which was assigning a public ip address from the menu itself.

The reason i want 443 opened is because of FIFA.  i can open all my ports except for this particular one, and i have had a llooooottttt of lag in fifa 16.  it's actually been horrible. 
Especially since i havent been able to test if port 443 could've played any part, and my ISP couldn't even help me do a manual reset of the router, which is needed to get rid of this port reservation.

Would you recommend activating UPNP instead of using portforward, or it's basically the same?  no need to give me a long answer on this, unless there is one ;)

Im aware that if a device isn't connected to the R1 it wont be registered on the network monitor or on the congestion control etc.   

I haven't had much time to test my stuff since i am working quite a bit at the moment.

Also, these last 3 days i've come home from work, or when i got out of  bed to get to work, my internet has been down.

I've neede to reboot everything, sometimes more than once. any suggestions to the cause? 

I still have the workaround for wifi on, but i doubt that could play a bart. 

and i have the newst version of the netduma router, ofc ;) 

• Administrators

The WAN IP is what you should put into the DMZ, does it allow you to do that? If you can/can't do that follow this for NAT

To reset that router follow this:

Use a paperclip, pen or pointed object to press into the reset pinhole on the back of the router. Keep the button pressed in for at least 7 seconds. When the power light goes red, release the button and wait until the power light turns green again.

Once you've done that then the reservation should disappear. Don't do any portforwarding on it. On the duma UPnP will open the necessary ports automatically. So this is the easiest option. Though if you want to make sure you can port forward manually just remember to turn off UPnP.

Down via ethernet or just wifi? Ensure the router is not on a surface where it could easily overheat such as a carpet. 

im afraid if i do reset the router fully, i'll have alot more settings to put right other than those you do normally, that is why i havent done that yet.

I cant even save my current router settings, that is how shit this router is.  It was the only one i could get from my isp at the time.   maaaaan i feel i can do nothing with this crap router hehe..

I turned off DHCP lease, which i thought was good to have on, since a static ip address normally is better for various reasons,  so im told.  
I don't know if that was it, but for the second day in a row i havent had my internet being "offline" when i come home. 

I turned off the wifi on the technicolor router and put everything through the netduma now.  

The netduma does it's job well regarding lag and so on.  

it still says i have a NAT type 3, but i havent had big problems finding games, although i havent played alot yet.
Would i not be able to meet people who have the NAT type 2 now at all, or something similar?

I have tried both upnp and port forward separately on the router, and it still says nat type 3 etc.   

The wifi is still on on the normal router, but wired seems to be down.   I've tried restarting the netduma multiple times with the technicolor router still on, but it wont work until i turn it off, then i normally wait for 1 min and turn it back on again.  then i got the net back.

But when i've got alotta time i'll have a better look.   

Also thanks alot for your good replies ;)

• Administrators

You ideally need to put the R1 in the DMZ to get an open NAT type. Enable UPnP forwarding in settings > miscellaneous as well. Only keep UPnP or port forwarding on the duma. The normal router is off or on? You said both above. You don't have internet when connected to the normal router via ethernet?

Hi again. 

I've had it on a public ip address since you wrote that i should only add the R1 and have everything else done from the Technicolor router. 

Assign the public IP address of a connection to a LAN device 
This page allows you to assign the public IP address of your Internet Connection(s) to a specific device on your local network...

You might want to do this if:

You encounter issues with some applications through the Network Address Translation engine of your Technicolor Gateway.
This device is running server applications (web server, ...) and you want it to be accessible from the internet.
This device has to be considered as the unique entry to your local network (DMZ).

As i think i've mentioned earlier: this router is by far the worst and hard to work with device i've ever encountered.

I cannot specifically add an IP into the DMZ when i do it this way, i can click on a dropbox then i can add whichever devices show up in a dropbox, and it is not a guarantee that the specific device i want to add to the dmz are showing in the dropbox at that time. 
This time i had to restart the router a few times before i got it to show.  just wonderful.  

I can, however, add the IP address of the router through the firewall manually, but i am not sure what to type in each field.

This is how it looks through the firewall.

If you could point out where i should add my R1 router ip and so forth i could try to do it this way instead, seeing as the other way clearly doesn't do much difference.

hmm... wont allow me to post a photo, says i've posted more photos than im allowed to?  

Also the net auto disconnected again yesterday.     My router isn't on a carpet, and it does not feel hot or anything.   

• Administrators

Hi again. 

I've had it on a public ip address since you wrote that i should only add the R1 and have everything else done from the Technicolor router. 

Assign the public IP address of a connection to a LAN device 

This page allows you to assign the public IP address of your Internet Connection(s) to a specific device on your local network...

You might want to do this if:

You encounter issues with some applications through the Network Address Translation engine of your Technicolor Gateway.

This device is running server applications (web server, ...) and you want it to be accessible from the internet.

This device has to be considered as the unique entry to your local network (DMZ).

As i think i've mentioned earlier: this router is by far the worst and hard to work with device i've ever encountered.

I cannot specifically add an IP into the DMZ when i do it this way, i can click on a dropbox then i can add whichever devices show up in a dropbox, and it is not a guarantee that the specific device i want to add to the dmz are showing in the dropbox at that time. 

This time i had to restart the router a few times before i got it to show.  just wonderful.  

I can, however, add the IP address of the router through the firewall manually, but i am not sure what to type in each field.

This is how it looks through the firewall.

If you could point out where i should add my R1 router ip and so forth i could try to do it this way instead, seeing as the other way clearly doesn't do much difference.

hmm... wont allow me to post a photo, says i've posted more photos than im allowed to?  

Also the net auto disconnected again yesterday.     My router isn't on a carpet, and it does not feel hot or anything.   

I can see the text from your PM. 

Did you hear an audible beep of the router? Are there any wireless devices close to the router?

No, i never heard a beep. But i've either been at work or sleeping when it's occured, and i never heard the beep when i was sleeping. I have the router in my bedroom, next to the other router, in which i turned the wifi OFF.   So there shouldn't be any other wireless devices next to it.

Archived