Please can someone who knows what they're doing help me quickly?

Idiot On Tour

Since I've installed my Router today I've been getting constant lag spikes on all games I play. How can I fix this? I'm using a wired connection

Whats your down/upload speeds? (That will depend on if you should be preemptive or reactive for your setup)

How many devices do you have connected? (I recommend you set a high priority to what console/pc you use to game on, if you have poor speeds.)

***Run a Speed/Ping test and post your numbers on here, if you dont know them off the top of your head

From there we can determine your CC slider settings.

Whats your down/upload speeds? (That will depend on if you should be preemptive or reactive for your setup)

How many devices do you have connected? (I recommend you set a high priority to what console/pc you use to game on, if you have poor speeds.)

***Run a Speed/Ping test and post your numbers on here, if you dont know them off the top of your head

From there we can determine your CC slider settings.

using speedtest.net by download was 32 and then it briefly went down to 2, but now it's back to 32? And my upload is 6 and my ping is 28

using speedtest.net by download was 32 and then it briefly went down to 2, but now it's back to 32? And my upload is 6 and my ping is 28

Are you doing this test via a wireless connection by any chance?

Congestion Control are the green parallel sliders that read 100.  When you slide them to the left, (lower in number) they preserve headroom in your bandwidth to deal with local lag spikes inside your house.   The base recommendation for most games is to set them at 70/70 and then power up the game.  When you are done, you slide them back to 100.

Are you doing this test via a wireless connection by any chance?

Congestion Control are the green parallel sliders that read 100.  When you slide them to the left, (lower in number) they preserve headroom in your bandwidth to deal with local lag spikes inside your house.   The base recommendation for most games is to set them at 70/70 and then power up the game.  When you are done, you slide them back to 100.

I am using a wireless signal to test and that's good to know. Thank you! Also how can I connect to the european Xbox Live Servers? I only get offered Xbox Live PA in the drop down menu

I am using a wireless signal to test and that's good to know. Thank you! Also how can I connect to the european Xbox Live Servers? I only get offered Xbox Live PA in the drop down menu

Yeah, you should measure your limits with the laptop hardwired to your router and with as little going on in the background of your house as possible.

Sounds like you need to upgrade the software to the latest version first.

Here is a link to the latest software version.  It's free, just make sure you read through the instructions BEFORE you start the process.   :D

Once you get that installed, you should have a selection for XB Live (I think) and as long as you have it Enabled (the button will say 'DISABLE' meaning push me to turn me off), you should connect to XBLive servers.

Get the upgrade done and give it a try, I'll check back on you in a couple of hours.

JD

Yeah, you should measure your limits with the laptop hardwired to your router and with as little going on in the background of your house as possible.

Sounds like you need to upgrade the software to the latest version first.

Here is a link to the latest software version.  It's free, just make sure you read through the instructions BEFORE you start the process.   :D

Once you get that installed, you should have a selection for XB Live (I think) and as long as you have it Enabled (the button will say 'DISABLE' meaning push me to turn me off), you should connect to XBLive servers.

Get the upgrade done and give it a try, I'll check back on you in a couple of hours.

JD

Thanks you!

Archived