install more ram

Ram does several things -one is it holds routing tables and config data. Another part of ram holds the firmware and yet another deals with bootstraps and the router OS.

Unless you have huge routing tables - the amount of ram will not make computer connections slow - a computer taking up all of the connection will.

The other benefit of larger ram is the *possibility* of using 3rd party firmware.

--

Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Assuming from this i dont think it would help drastically with lag, but ill let somebody with a little more network experience pitch in their 2 cents...

Ram does several things -one is it holds routing tables and config data. Another part of ram holds the firmware and yet another deals with bootstraps and the router OS.

Unless you have huge routing tables - the amount of ram will not make computer connections slow - a computer taking up all of the connection will.

The other benefit of larger ram is the *possibility* of using 3rd party firmware.

--

Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Assuming from this i dont think it would help drastically with lag, but ill let somebody with a little more network experience pitch in their 2 cents...

thanks for that good answer makes sense ,i just wondered why sometimes routers seem to forget their settings and the need to factory reset them at all.

Archived