Netduma hardware question

strodoggydog

• 2 weeks later...

sorry to bump this again,but I am at somewhat of a loss.

my new plusnet iptv service only works when i connect directly to the router they have provided. i have tried toggling mulitcast snooping setting.

from using the search in this forum, i see the current solution is to run the iptv service through the plusnet router,and everything else connects to the netduma.

so assuming this is what I should set up: modem-plusnet router - iptv box

- netduma - everything else

i have some questions.

1. do i connect to the WAN or a LAN port on the netduma? I assume it is the WAN

2. The next point is where I think I am stuck between a rock and a hard place - the plusnet router (link here) has a very basic UI which does not allow me to put in the WAN of the n'duma (which recognises i am connected to another router) into the DMZ setting. It only allows you to select a currently connected device, none of which is the netduma,

3 assuming i could get this to work, would congestion control for all devices connected to net duma still be available, aside from IPTV usage of course?

thanks all

• Netduma Staff

1. do i connect to the WAN or a LAN port on the netduma? I assume it is the WAN

2. The next point is where I think I am stuck between a rock and a hard place - the plusnet router (link here) has a very basic UI which does not allow me to put in the WAN of the n'duma (which recognises i am connected to another router) into the DMZ setting. It only allows you to select a currently connected device, none of which is the netduma,

3 assuming i could get this to work, would congestion control for all devices connected to net duma still be available, aside from IPTV usage of course?

Hi Strodoggydog :)

1. The plusnet router connects to port one of the Netduma, everything else can connect to port 2, 3, 4 and 5.
  2. Are you sure the Duma isn't in that list. Could you try rebooting or factory reseting the plusnet router to see if it shows?
  3. Yes it would :)

Thanks Crossy. Much appreciated.

I'll have a look at point 2 again.

It was looking dodgy since p'net router can allocate any address from 1-253. I was worried about a conflict since there was no static IP or dhcp setting. The p'net router has a hidden GUI (only discovered from p'net forums) which means I can now reserve the IP used by R1. However still no static IP DMZ. Hopefully, rebooting/resetting p'net router will allow it to show in h'ware setting.

Thanks again.

having thought about the matter further, I think any solution which uses the weak link of a  "free" ISP router is far from ideal. 

I am going to buy a fibre modem/router combo (which has IGMP support, and confirmed as compatible with p'net tv), and put the netduma downstream for connecting everything else. 

I suspect that connecting the STB to the n'duma will not work (i will of course try) and could cause problems for the congestion control as it does not account for STB's BW.

In such a case, should I lower the netduma download bw by ~20mb?

• Administrators

Yes it would not be able to work correctly if not everything is connected through the R1. You could try this though I have doubts on if it would work or not, but it's worth a try. 

If there is enough demand we will to implement IPTV support 

Thanks. I'll report back in any case.

I understand that iptv IGMP protocol is so niche and is not an essential feature, hence my surprise it's even being considered. Awesome CS!

if future hardware has it, I'll view that as a bonus cos I'd buy it anyway.

There is just no way netduma is leaving my set up. I am changing to iptv cos it's considerably cheaper than sky, but in a moment of frustration last night, I was even thinking of going back just to keep netduma involved. That's how highly I rate the product.

Think with my proposed setup, netduma will still be running the show!

This is an awesome forum btw!

as anticipated, it only works when plugged into IGMP enabled router.

However, running everything else through net duma (with a reduced bw setting to account for IPTV use which is ~ upto 7 Mbits per channel; in theory, I can record two channels and watch a third on demand, so I have set aside 20Mbits for this) gives me low ping games.

Archived