150 ms ping when configure the geo-filter to radius of 550-1000km

Hi,

I've configure the geo-filter to be between 550-1000 km.

It finds hosts with 150 ms ping.

I must wait 5 minutes untill my PS4 finds a game and when it filnaly did, a game with 150 ms ping.

Did I configure my settings wrong some how?

What casing the problem?

Thank you.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi mate,

Ok the Geo-filter does not guarantee a low ping, but practically in most instances you should see a huge difference in ping's. There are a few reasons you could be getting such a large ping:

1. Someone or a device is download/uploading heavily at your house. Check the "Network Monitor" and see if its utilisation is high. If so congestion control can help :)
  2. You connected to a bad host, so the guy you connected to is downloading/uploading heavily. This should be rare but if you don't like this host click it give it a description like "Stinky Host" and a rating of 1% then click update. Wait 2 mins and you'll never connect to that host again :)

PS Where are you based?

I'm from Israel. and I play COD Advanced warfare only. :)

No one is using the internet except me and the PS4 that i am playing on is highly priorites via netduma.

Most of the time I can only find games when my geo-filter is setted to 2500 km or above (the ping is awful)

Guest Netduma_Iain

From Isarel, awesome! First duma there.

Ok can you run a traceroute please. So if your on windows get up the command prompt and type in "tracert 8.8.8.8" please and take a screenshot and post back here!

No one is using the internet except me and the PS4 that i am playing on is highly priorites via netduma.

Most of the time I can only find games when my geo-filter is setted to 2500 km or above (the ping is awful)

Hi there, could you post a screen shot of how you have your geo filter set , and also what game modes you are playing 

( please send bissli and bamba with the reply ;) )

Israel ? Awesome. I must be in your 2500 km range.

Very weird though. The Hawaiian guy didn't mention anything about not finding games even though his distance to west coast is aprox. 4000 km...

witha  2500km search range you are almost back at normal AW...apparently there isn't a large player base in your area...

Next, if you do get a connection with 500km radius is the ping still 150ms? if so, it is your connection/ISP/node

From Isarel, awesome! First duma there.

Ok can you run a traceroute please. So if your on windows get up the command prompt and type in "tracert 8.8.8.8" please and take a screenshot and post back here!

i think my connection is great BUT i lag often and my pings in AW are not under 30ms. Any tips? ;)

here is my >http://imgur.com/3y73TRP

When I'm checking my ping via Pingtest.net my line is B* and my ping is around 20ms.

My jiter is 1 and it doesn't display the packages loss.

When testing in speestest.net the data is:

download: 40mb

upload: 3.5mb

ping: 17ms

Supply drop with Bamba and Bissli is on the way :)

post-298-0-47191900-1421588302_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-58854600-1421588304_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-28237400-1421588306_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-11308400-1421588308_thumb.jpg

Hop 6 on your trace route shows you are having to connect quite a distance away before the connection terminates even to Google DNS.

I think the high ping is just a distance and player population issue. Your screenshots of geo-filter shows a single connection within your 1000km radius who will also get pulled into a game away from there. 

Basically I would bet you are being connected to a dedicated server for COD:AW which happens to be in UK / Europe at a guess. The next firmware update will actually show you where the dedicated server you are connecting to is. 

Also you have strict mode off which is why the dedicated servers are pulling you in. However if you turn that on I would think you would just get booted constantly from a lobby as the host / dedicated server would be too far away. 

Sorry about all the above, but TL;DR I don't think the player population / COD servers lend themselves to low latency game types in your area (hopefully I am wrong) :(

Israel ? Awesome. I must be in your 2500 km range.

Very weird though. The Hawaiian guy didn't mention anything about not finding games even though his distance to west coast is aprox. 4000 km...

That's correct, no problems finding games with host on the US west coast. But the player population there is very large and there's a few large banks of dedi's in some of the major cities there. The ping tends to be in the 70-90ms range over that ~4k km distance, not bad considering the distance.

that looks good, so it might be jitter...

try a ping on each of those nodes starting at node 4, see if they are all withing a 2-3ms range.

hi abc, thanks for the tip...

do you mean i should ping for example 88.134.223.46 (in the pic #4) and so on?

this one was  9-11ms 

When I'm checking my ping via Pingtest.net my line is B* and my ping is around 20ms.

My jiter is 1 and it doesn't display the packages loss.

When testing in speestest.net the data is:

download: 40mb

upload: 3.5mb

ping: 17ms

Supply drop with Bamba and Bissli is on the way :)

The problem with Israel is where it is when it comes to matchmaking it's always been an odd one especially for cod, mw3 was probably the last good cod for matchmaking when it came to Israel as you were more likely to be matched with countries in the surrounding area.

You can be smart here and move your "home" from where you are 

let me look into this a bit and i'll post a few examples of places to put your home.

what I've noticed is our users seem to always put their home icon actually where they are , while most of the time this is fine , sometimes its actually better to put the home icon elsewhere BUT have where you actually are inside the geo filer range.

One thing I will say though is there is a ton of ps4 users in the UaE/kuwait area and in Turkey , so how you have the geo filter atm you are blocking a ton of potential closer lobbies

Hi mate,

Ok the Geo-filter does not guarantee a low ping, but practically in most instances you should see a huge difference in ping's. There are a few reasons you could be getting such a large ping:

1. Someone or a device is download/uploading heavily at your house. Check the "Network Monitor" and see if its utilisation is high. If so congestion control can help :)
  2. You connected to a bad host, so the guy you connected to is downloading/uploading heavily. This should be rare but if you don't like this host click it give it a description like "Stinky Host" and a rating of 1% then click update. Wait 2 mins and you'll never connect to that host again :)

I really don't understand, how come  AW machmaking system gives the host to a player who is heavily downloading/uploading. 

I have a crystal clear connection, without uploads and downloads when I play and i rarely host a game :(

Guest Netduma_Iain

I have no idea, but I can speculate :) There is noting to stop you download/uploading after the game has started. So its not a good idea just to pick the guy at the start you want a sort of history of his connection. So the guy who down/up on average has a sick connection. Either way this is a rare thing so don't worry about it :)

Archived