Host Quality analysis

Right how does the host filter populate / work? Is it working for any xbox live games or is the feature tied to supported games?

Reason I ask is the Geo-filter is amazing on HCC via xbox live. Just played on a French host with 25ms ping, as good a Halo connection as I have had since game released (also great to see the USA hosts blocked!!).

So I have clicked on host, I have the ping graph running showing response but the host quality does not populate. Am I doing something silly?

Also:

- Do all games data populate into 'Host Analysis'?

- Any way to ascertain if I am selected as host? I assume it will just show me as largest circle in acceptable range and then a very low ping?

Thanks for the amazing product, having fun with it already and only scratching surface :)

Guest Netduma Fraser

Hey, no not all Xbox Live games are supported, however, games that aren't supported still may work very well with the Geo-filter. We are are constantly adding games to be compatible with the Geo-filter, any Xbox games we support in the future will work using the Xbox Live service on the Geo-filter, likewise for PSN etc.

Glad to see the Geo-filter is working so well for you! The quality bar above your ping graph on Geo-filter is for you to give the host a rating, so as you said it was a good connection so you might choose to give the host a quality of 100 so you can connect to that host again even if its outside your Geo-filter. It would then appear in your Allow & Deny in the green section :)

Host Analysis is for PC games only, namely CS:GO, Dota 2, Insurgency, TF2. So you wont be seeing any console games recorded in Host Analysis. Sorry!

Yes I believe that is currently the only way to tell if you are host.

Hope I've answered your questions thoroughly, if not let me know!

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi,

I see Fraser has addressed most of your points. I'd just like to touch on one thing.

Reason I ask is the Geo-filter is amazing on HCC via xbox live. Just played on a French host with 25ms ping' date=' as good a Halo connection as I have had since game released (also great to see the USA hosts blocked!!).

[/quote']

We suspected it works on MCC, but we haven't announced it yet. We will wait till more people test it.

Thanks for the amazing product' date=' having fun with it already and only scratching surface :)

[/quote']

Really glad you're enjoying it.

Hey' date=' glad to see the Geo-filter is working so well for you! The quality bar above your ping graph on Geo-filter is for you to give the host a rating, so as you said it was a good connection so you might choose to give the host a quality of 100 so you can connect to that host again even if its outside your Geo-filter. It would then appear in your Allow & Deny in the green section :)

Host Analysis is for PC games only, namely CS:GO, Dota 2, Insurgency, TF2. So you wont be seeing any console games recorded in Host Analysis. Sorry!

Yes I believe that is currently the only way to tell if you are host.

Hope I've answered your questions thoroughly, if not let me know!

[/quote']

Perfect, just my misconception of what that bar was / is. In the youtube vids the bar is at c.80% so I assumed that the R1 allocating a rating to the host :)

Thank you for quick response and clarification

Guest Netduma_Iain

Would you like the R1 to auto detect the quality for you? If so perhaps post a thread on the suggestion page. If enough people want it we will consider. Only issue is we don't want loads of hosts getting blocked incorrectly. So would have to be careful with it.

Would you like the R1 to auto detect the quality for you? If so perhaps post a thread on the suggestion page. If enough people want it we will consider. Only issue is we don't want loads of hosts getting blocked incorrectly. So would have to be careful with it.

I really like this idea.  I'm not sure if it has been mentioned in the suggestion page yet.

I like the sounds of this, but like you said. Gotta make sure it works correctly, and also would like to hear the ideal behind how this will work. We can discuss in a PM if need be, but I am curious about this.

Indeed, if the "host" was using their connection to it's fullest (downloading something) then the PING will be ridiculous and they'd be rated poorly, but in general they might be the best host for you in the world.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Yes you're absolutely right abc. If you were going to do host classification you'd need to look for repeat issues. We could do this for PC games as we can determine when a game starts and ends. So we could have a min threshold for data before we classified. 

I know with the area i set, i am gonna try to keep good hosts to 50ms and under. I know ping isn't everything though, as lag spikes could also be an issue. I just know with geo filter tool, i don't want to be playing on hosts with 50+ms pings.

I know with the area i set, i am gonna try to keep good hosts to 50ms and under. I know ping isn't everything though, as lag spikes could also be an issue. I just know with geo filter tool, i don't want to be playing on hosts with 50+ms pings.

Lag spikes can come for such a large number of things it wouldn't be far to immediately block that host.

Lag spikes can come for such a large number of things it wouldn't be far to immediately block that host.

My judge wouldn't solely be on lag spikes, but like I said I want to limit myself to playing in 50ms, or less host lobbies. Also if I am correct, it will be my decision to block a host, or not. You can trust I won't be someone to abuse it, and still if someone did. It would only negatively affect themselves, as it will get to the point, it would be hard to get lobbies to play in. Even worst if your in a area, with a already limited population to begin with.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Yes Scott its your choice who you block. If you stop getting games unblock them. Also a feature that most people don't know, I think I may be the only one haha.

So you can set the host quality out of 100, if a host falls in the green "curtain" is always allowed and if it falls in the red "curtain" its always denied. The thing most people don't know is you can drag the curtains. So if you're really not in the mood for bad connections you can drag the red curtain to 80%. Does that make sense? 

Yes Scott its your choice who you block. If you stop getting games unblock them. Also a feature that most people don't know, I think I may be the only one haha.

So you can set the host quality out of 100, if a host falls in the green "curtain" is always allowed and if it falls in the red "curtain" its always denied. The thing most people don't know is you can drag the curtains. So if you're really not in the mood for bad connections you can drag the red curtain to 80%. Does that make sense?

So what you're getting at, is you can place hosts in allow(green) or deny(red). But you can also assign each one a rating from 0 to 100? If so, that makes sense for allow hosts, but deny hosts not so much. As wouldn't a deny host be blocked regardless of rating given? You may need to explain to my tired brain a bit better. :D

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Scott,

Yes it must be very late for you!

See in the picture below, the position of the circles from left to right represents the rating you gave them our of 100. If you gave a host 0 it would appear on the left and if you get it 100 it would appear all the way to the right. Anything that falls inside the red section is blocked and anything in the green is allowed.

The interesting part is you can drag the entire curtain, for example if you dragged the red curtain left a significant amount. One of those hosts that WAS blocked will not be any-more. Does that make sense? 

allowanddeny.png

Okay from what i see, the arrow in the bottom right of the red box. I could slide/shorten the box going left, and if i go pass one of the dots, it would no longer be blocked correct? Sorry my brain is in a rather non functioning state lol.

Archived