Geo Filter - Hosts

BLCUSF

I have a question concerning Hosts in the .7 update.  Prior to .7 I would see smaller dots and then one bigger dot which I understood to be host.

However you can see in the photo below that when gaming (I using a PC for gaming  and not a Console) I have been seeing Multiple big dots and they blink small to big etc.. So not sure who is the host.  (The Yellow Dot is from me photoshopping the DOT in to show where I am from, I will get to that question below).  One of these looks bigger in the photo but only because when I took the snapshot. They ping small to large etc...  So why so many? Why not the one host?

i-km69xwR-M.png

Second question, why does it never have a red dot where I am located (The yellow dot i placed on the map)?  Is this because I chose home to be center of the USA?

I did choose center only to be able to hit the Geo filter to be around the USA. I do wish I could exclude Mexico but that is another story.

So if my home is never going to show a red dot because of how I chose home, does this mean where there is a big red dot under the Home Icon that I am the host?

The netduma never shows your location or red dot, you are just a white pointer.  The other dots are all other users, and the bigger the dots the more data they are sending to you and that you are sending to them.  

in the above you were either still in the lobby or are the game host.

The netduma never shows your location or red dot, you are just a white pointer.  The other dots are all other users, and the bigger the dots the more data they are sending to you and that you are sending to them.  

in the above you were either still in the lobby or are the game host.

Do you know what it means when multiple dots keep getting bigger then smaller and never seem to settle on one big dot?

Do you know what it means when multiple dots keep getting bigger then smaller and never seem to settle on one big dot?

Just that the amount of data being sent and received is fluctuating, it is normal...if the traffic to another person was solid you would be sending them a continuously large file or receiving one...it is impossible...basically in a videogame.

The description of the circles would suggest as per abc says. 

What game are you playing on PC which is not on dedicated servers? That would be my whole reason for being on pc

Ah yes, I should have stated, the game is COD Advanced Warfare.

So the idea is that if all the dots are "pinging" meaning going from small to big, then I am most likely the host as they are sending me info.  If there is one big dot then that person is the host.

As well, I have entered a game in progress and everyone's dots are pinging. This cannot mean that I am host as I entered mid game.

Very true.

There has been a lot of focus on dedicated servers on consoles but I do not know how that translates to PC. Maybe one for Iain?

Guest Netduma_Iain

Cheers Buds,

BLCUSF, as PC hasn't been tested by us it could be a multitude of things. Can you try "Xbox Live PA" and see if you notice one circle standing out more than the others?

Cheers!

I was on XBOX Live setting in the GEO Filter and changed to Xbox Live PA as suggested by Iain.  I do see it better now on who is Host.

As well I can see a red dot where I am at.

i-TLzv37R-M.png

not a problem, the geo-filter is only showing the traffic of the devices selected at the top.

So if it is Xbox and you use ventrillo on a PC then it won't show that.

Anyways that's how the circles work :) hope it helps

I actually do not own an XBOX and my PS3 is not connected :)

I play on my PC and currently am using the XBOX Live PA setting under game services. That PC has the game and Ventrillo.

I actually do not own an XBOX and my PS3 is not connected :)

I play on my PC and currently am using the XBOX Live PA setting under game services. That PC has the game and Ventrillo.

i gotcha, I don't know what ports Iain uses for traffic monitoring...but i don't think it is all of them

Archived