OpenSDK is released to allow for user GUIs, plugins

abc123

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi abc,

Yes this was what I was suggesting before, providing web services so people can code their own GUI. I think its a very cool idea, and shouldn't be too much work. I guess the pain in the ass would be documentation, you know how us developers hate documenting lol

Hi abc,

Yes this was what I was suggesting before, providing web services so people can code their own GUI. I think its a very cool idea, and shouldn't be too much work. I guess the pain in the ass would be documentation, you know how us developers hate documenting lol

Indeed documentation is the bane of our existence, make sure you auto-document as much as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

So, i've never written a router ui...but would it be possible to use: 1. angular/backbone/knockout (as i've used them a ton)?

I'd be making this open source (github), the question becomes how does the frontend interface with the backend...i'm guessing no restful API, could use websocket

I'm kinda curious because i'd like to write my own (just UI ) and i'd like to work with netduma for it to be an alternative UI (3rd party)

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi abc,

I really like the idea, if you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks max. I just need to address the critical updates. They are mostly sorted, then we can work on this as well as getting the translation part done.

An App would be sweet if you fancy doing that?

Hi abc,

I really like the idea, if you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks max. I just need to address the critical updates. They are mostly sorted, then we can work on this as well as getting the translation part done.

An App would be sweet if you fancy doing that?

depending on how open the controls are (IE the methods by which to communicate with the router) and the method for controlling.  It wouldn't be a big deal at all, iOS/Android.

Just depends on the how the router accepts commands (which could be documented).  I suppose the router supports SNMP i could just do that (i hate SNMP...too insecure)

I would be much easier to make everything available as a web-service.  But lets discuss later

agreed, RESTful APIs would be the best solution but then there are security concerns and OAuth would be required.

So far i'm seeing this:

Cookie: Basic Auth

Post to http://IP/cgi-bin/wifi.sh

----WebKitFormBoundaryE19zNvXGzXaLvS5C
Content-Disposition: form-data; name="enabled"

true
Content-Disposition: form-data; name="security"

psk2
Content-Disposition: form-data; name="ssid"

schucreations
Content-Disposition: form-data; name="passphrase"

a9vsesfx
Content-Disposition: form-data; name="channel"

Content-Disposition: form-data; name="band"

11ng
Content-Disposition: form-data; name="apply"

Apply

so i'm guessing it's all just RESTful with basic auth in cookies?

Its mostly GET/POST with polling done on websockets. WIll be moving to more web sockets in the future though :)

Well I can reverse engineer this stuff and write documentation on all the GET/POST/PULL/DELETE actions i see via "form" submit and ajax.

Then I can use that data to design a quick UI...but i feel like it would be better to wait until netduma are ready for this type of project and then do it the secure way.

Guest Netduma_Iain

I'd suggest you just wait, we can even talk about designing the public API. Much of the current design was ad-hoc built when needed. Now that the product is holistic we can take a step back and make it less monolithic. Come up with some clean extend-able interfaces. Also it would be a great time to separate the translation parts as well. So two birds one stone.

I'd suggest you just wait, we can even talk about designing the public API. Much of the current design was ad-hoc built when needed. Now that the product is holistic we can take a step back and make it less monolithic. Come up with some clean extend-able interfaces. Also it would be a great time to separate the translation parts as well. So two birds one stone.

for sure! sounds like a plan, meet back here in a couple weeks

Archived