R3 seemingly not helping with bufferbloat

Mach3r

I can’t get this bufferbloat under control for the life of me with this router. I keep tweaking the congestion and it doesn’t seem to get any better. Is there a setting that might help?

IMG_3228.jpeg

IMG_3227.jpeg

what helps me the most is by capping my bandwidth iniside the R3. for an example i have 1gb fiber and look how i capped my speed below for the BEST bufferbloat and the LOWEST jitter possible. the congestion controll % i always use is between 70% 65% 50%. @Mach3r

good.PNG

oh wow.PNG

omg.PNG

wow.PNG

9 minutes ago, iOrcus said:

what helps me the most is by capping my bandwidth iniside the R3. for an example i have 1gb fiber and look how i capped my speed below for the BEST bufferbloat and the LOWEST jitter possible. the congestion controll % i always use is between 70% 65% 50%. @Mach3r

good.PNG

oh wow.PNG

omg.PNG

wow.PNG

Hey thanks the tip @iOrcus Sorry for the ignorance but how do I cap the bandwidth in the R3 other than the congestion controls?

• Administrators

What is the model of the modem/router the R3 is connected to and how have you set that to ensure all traffic flows to the R3? E.g. R3 in its DMZ, modem/bridge mode. Are ALL devices connected to the router?

3 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What is the model of the modem/router the R3 is connected to and how have you set that to ensure all traffic flows to the R3? E.g. R3 in its DMZ, modem/bridge mode. Are ALL devices connected to the router?

Say thanks for the response. I know you get a lot of questions, it’s actually really impressive how responsive you are. The modem is an Arris surfboard SB8200. I have to be honest I am ignorant with DMZ, bridge mode. But I did set my devices up in priorities. 

• Administrators

Thanks! No worries, so if you access the Arris interface, can you find an option for DMZ? This could be in WAN Settings or Security potentially, if you find it, copy the WAN IP from the R3 WAN page and then paste that into the DMZ on the Arris. Make sure all devices are connected to the R3 then try the tests again.

4 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks! No worries, so if you access the Arris interface, can you find an option for DMZ? This could be in WAN Settings or Security potentially, if you find it, copy the WAN IP from the R3 WAN page and then paste that into the DMZ on the Arris. Make sure all devices are connected to the R3 then try the tests again.

Thanks for the explanation. I will try that and report back. 

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I am not having any luck getting to an Arris interface that allows you to change settings 

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Looks like it can't be access but I'm sure I saw that it provides WiFi, is that correct?

I called Arris. They said there is not a DMZ setting that I can change on a cable modem. They said that is a router setting. 

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, Mach3r said:

I called Arris. They said there is not a DMZ setting that I can change on a cable modem. They said that is a router setting. 

So it doesn't provide any WiFi then? If not that makes sense, if it does that is quite confusing. 

Assuming it is just a pure modem, I'd suggest testing with downloads while following: https://bit.ly/bufferbloat-test start with a high value e.g 95%, test, decrease 10%, test, decrease 10% etc, until you get to a value that is pretty good, then try 5% either side of that value to see if it can be improved. Important to note that Download/Upload on CC don't have to be the same value & you may have a better experience with differing values. This is more of a real world test as you're actually doing traffic you would normally do.

43 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

So it doesn't provide any WiFi then? If not that makes sense, if it does that is quite confusing. 

Assuming it is just a pure modem, I'd suggest testing with downloads while following: https://bit.ly/bufferbloat-test start with a high value e.g 95%, test, decrease 10%, test, decrease 10% etc, until you get to a value that is pretty good, then try 5% either side of that value to see if it can be improved. Important to note that Download/Upload on CC don't have to be the same value & you may have a better experience with differing values. This is more of a real world test as you're actually doing traffic you would normally do.

This is what i have been doing since i got the router. I started at 100% and went all the way down to 50%. The best I have ever seen is like 20ms on download and it fluctuates back up.