New CPU Usage Issue

Over the last month or two, there has been a strange CPU usage issue occurring. I have found that roughly every 2 weeks my Gen 3 - Firmware Version 21.4.0500 running DumaOS Version 3.3.688 has to be rebooted. Reason being both CPU0 & CPU1 are both hitting 95%-100% constantly at the same time causing issues while gaming. 

After rebooting, same devices are running, and CPU's go back to normal running around 20 - 40%

I have not been able to pinpoint a device causing this, nor have I been able to get any screenshots of this yet (But will get some next time it happens)

Any suggestions regarding testing or solutions would be appreciated. 

16 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What are the specific issues that are occurring? Is there anything network wise that happens within that schedule?

Ok, it’s a bit strange. I have been tipped off that there is an issue when I play MW3 on Xbox. Normally I get a steady 16-20 ping in games, but when I get this CPU usage issue, I start getting fluctuating ping from 16 – 300, which seems to coincide with the CPU issue, for example, when CPU0 & CPU1 are spiking up and down 95% 100% 95% 100% without dropping lower than 85%  I get ping spikes, as soon as I reboot the my Gen 3 I have no issues for the next 1-2 weeks and then all of a sudden it happens again. Up until 2 months ago, I was lucky to have to reboot every 2 months and had a steady network and ping as I have 1000/40 connection.

Just to note. I have also noticed this CPU issue happens even when I wasn’t playing MW3, as my children who also play online gaming complained of very bad lag with other games as well. Every time I investigated the issue, it all leads me to High CPU usage.

I also looked at what devices are using the network at the time, and if anything was being downloaded from other devices, which I determined not to be the case, but even so, I use congestion control which should mitigate any issues.

I am little lost on this problem. Hope this made sense. What next?

I also want to add that I did notice one time that I was experiencing this high CPU usage my traffic prioritisation had active - Classified games and Cloud gaming running. Work from home I have turned off. But on this day, I turned off Cloud gaming and only had classified gaming active and in use and on this day, it seemed to reduce the CPU usage but not to the extent of a reboot.

I noticed that Classified games also allow for cloud gaming anyway, hence why I turn it off. Not sure if this could be related or not, and next time it happens I will test this again.

• Administrators

What changed two months ago, was it an update, changed settings, addition of a device etc? Do you notice it more when a lot of device are being used at the time regardless of their usage?

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What changed two months ago, was it an update, changed settings, addition of a device etc? Do you notice it more when a lot of device are being used at the time regardless of their usage?

Thats the part that I can't put my finger on. I know there has been no new devices added, and both firmware for Gen 3 and DumaOS is the same versions, and sometimes only 2-10 devices are using the network at the same time. The only thing that I changed was I started to using Geo Filter for 1 Device (Xbox) but this issue has occurred even when that device is not in use, so I have no Idea. All I can say is there is a pattern-

1. Extreme Lag in games
  2. High CPU usage
  3. Reboot
  4. Fixed for about 2 weeks
  5. Back to No. 1

I will provide screenshots and logs next time it happens.

Edited by MuRF FuRY

• Administrators

Thanks for that, there is a theory from a few team members that misclassified traffic might be throwing off your priorities and be causing your issues, in which case an upcoming cloud update should fix that. In the meantime to check the theory, could you reboot the router and then see if anything is being misclassified as Xbox/Cloud Gaming and being prioritized when it shouldn't. Then in that 2 weeks timeframe check again when it starts to go downhill, if it does, could you remove the cloud gaming priority and monitor it again please? In the meantime we'll try to reproduce it.

8 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks for that, there is a theory from a few team members that misclassified traffic might be throwing off your priorities and be causing your issues, in which case an upcoming cloud update should fix that. In the meantime to check the theory, could you reboot the router and then see if anything is being misclassified as Xbox/Cloud Gaming and being prioritized when it shouldn't. Then in that 2 weeks timeframe check again when it starts to go downhill, if it does, could you remove the cloud gaming priority and monitor it again please? In the meantime we'll try to reproduce it.

Ok, sounds like a plan. Just one thing. I assume that if unless I use Xbox Cloud gaming via console or PC to play my games via the cloud, then "Cloud Gaming" should not priorities anything else, correct? because if this is the case, I can tell you now, this does occur. But I will monitor it as much as I can to get definitive result.

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, MuRF FuRY said:

Ok, sounds like a plan. Just one thing. I assume that if unless I use Xbox Cloud gaming via console or PC to play my games via the cloud, then "Cloud Gaming" should not priorities anything else, correct? because if this is the case, I can tell you now, this does occur. But I will monitor it as much as I can to get definitive result.

That's right yes - I'd expect that it could trigger if you're using Game Pass for example, it shouldn't unless you're actually doing the cloud part but I could understand how it could be misclassified that way. If you're watching YouTube or downloading something and it's showing that then that's definitely not right.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's right yes - I'd expect that it could trigger if you're using Game Pass for example, it shouldn't unless you're actually doing the cloud part but I could understand how it could be misclassified that way. If you're watching YouTube or downloading something and it's showing that then that's definitely not right.

Ok, well I will watch over next few weeks and see what info I can gather. But I think we may be on the right track to the root of the issue. 

10 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks for that, there is a theory from a few team members that misclassified traffic might be throwing off your priorities and be causing your issues, in which case an upcoming cloud update should fix

When you say next update, is that a Modem or DumaOS firmware update for the Gen 3 or a backend update?