Ping Related Issues

So I’m not exactly sure why my Internet has been strange (recently). Also to be honest I don’t have very much knowledge on these topics, I have used the duma os app/website, along with other things to try to push my wifi to its performance limits, But the only issue is that recently without messing with any configurations I was noticing way higher ping in games like rainbow six siege. Not to long ago I was getting pings around 17 - 19, But now it’s around 40 - 50, only point I get stuck at is when I test my ping on duma os/netgear apps It does show 14 - 15 ping. Any help to get my ping back to its normal state?

• Administrators

What is the model of the modem/router the XR is connected to and how have you set that to ensure all traffic flows to the XR? E.g. XR in its DMZ, modem/bridge mode. Are ALL devices connected to the XR?

There has been no changes in physical setup, settings changes etc prior to it happening? Where are you checking the ping on the Geo-Filter or in game? What game is it you're playing? How do you have QoS setup?

I’ll do my best to give you all the answers to the questions you’ve asked given i’m not very educated in this. The model is a Hitron Router, I’m not sure how to answer your second question but hopefully these photos of the router and how it’s all connected can help. And as far as devices like phones, Consoles, and more yes it’s all connected through the XR.

Yep no physical changes no setting changed prior, I tried hard resetting then reapplying the same exact configurations  but still did not change the ping, i’ve checked the ping on almost everyplace possible and from what i’ve learned I tend to have very low ping on duma os ping test (15ms). But on a game like Rainbow six siege I noticed i had around 40ms, and so I thought to myself maybe its the servers of the game doing so but then when i moved into my xbox settings I went to test my network speed and statistics and saw that i also had around 40ms from the console itself not the games. So I’m not exactly sure what is not transferring properly, for my duma os ping tester to have very consistent 15-17ms but have 40 when hard wired into my xbox series S.

IMG_3369.jpeg

• Administrators

I assume it's a pure modem i.e. it has no WiFi is that right? If so you can ignore that second part.

The ping test on the router will be to the closest speed test server and will have a different ping to game/console servers - have you ever seen the ping on the console/game as low as 15?

I wanna say it’s a pure modem because It has a wire that goes from the modem to the router to give it wireless internet.

Yes on all games(Rainbow Six Siege) and on my Xbox Network Speed And Statistics Test I would get 15-17ms, So because I get higher pings from just the source(Xbox) and not even a game server It could be something with my Xbox too right? But that Is exactly what is throwing me off meaning previously to the ping change I never switched any configurations to the router/modem/console/games but it changed on its own.

Also a little thing I would notice Almost everytime I would test my speed & stats on my xbox I would have 40-50ms but sometimes i would just have 100% packet loss, And I know high packet loss can increase ping as well so maybe that could be an issue too.

I just realized something is wrong in my Geo Filter. In these photos took on my duma os app I was curious to what servers I was being connected to when on rainbow six siege and noticed all my close servers where being denied and I could only get consistent connection with one very far away. One shows the server I talk about with 15-17ms but still cannot connect to it because in the second photo it shows I get disconnected and am only being allowed connection to the far right one with the check on it.

And I just read that you asked about my Qos settings, Sorry for not catching it. I have it set like this for the least amount of buffering.IMG_3374.thumb.png.b8acc50d0502d21f909cb2241b6b0d82.pngIMG_3375.thumb.png.94bddbef3cd8befe2548c8d638c53dc5.pngIMG_3376.thumb.jpeg.e29304c55a3443e6dbabd80e1be6b497.jpeg

• Administrators

Your radius is way too big, if you want that low ping you'll have to reduce it to cover the servers that you know you can ping low to. You can use Ping Heatmap to ping the game and find where these servers are then change your Geo settings, once you've done this restart the device/game and you should get lower ping servers then.

When I make It small so that I only connect to servers with around 17ms It will not connect to any server when I load up a game… The servers are there but for some reason it just won’t connect to them.IMG_3378.thumb.png.c2d2bf77b5df2094cf7a1675369d6d65.png

• Administrators

Try this:

1. Quit the application/game/client completely
  2. Remove device from the Geo-Filter
  3. Resync from the Geo-Filter Map menu
  4. Re-add the device to the Geo-Filter
  5. Set up the Geo-Filter how you like
  6. Wait 2 minutes
  7. Boot up application/game/client

Then see if it works better. 

I followed your steps, When I booted up rainbow six siege I connected to a very close server but still with around 40-50 ms, IMG_3381.thumb.png.7021d613aa88909447e87f6b63cec756.pngSo then I tested my ping to see if i was just having this ping.IMG_3382.thumb.png.3673eff85dda780eb70a84b597b34292.pngBut I was Still at around14-17ms.

Then I went to Ping Heatmap and checked the best closest rainbow six siege server and only one showed and it wasn’t even the same as the first photo.IMG_3383.thumb.png.43593bea2366d87d411e1ae410c712dd.pngBut then I did check my network stats on xbox so I didn’t have any type of “server ping” but I also have 40 on there.IMG_3384.thumb.jpeg.e6610e400e52045021710d177b82e862.jpegThis is frustrating really, Because prior I didn’t change anything and was having great responses but now it feels a lot choppier due to this.

• Administrators

I checked the server, it is correctly located so that's not the issue, Ping Optimizer is reporting good results, no spikes or anything like that so I don't think it's anything on your side and indicates it's the actual server. There are multiple servers clustered in the same location so try blocking any you get 40ms to and see if that then allows you to get the lower ping again.

I think it has something to do with my xbox because before even loading into a game server my ping is already 40ms like in the lobby. And same with my xbox without even being in a server and it just being my xbox on and me testing my speeds I have 40ms. I’ve blocked maybe 7 servers and kept requeueing to see if i could get a low ping server but they’re all 40ms.

• Administrators

The 40ms in Xbox settings is just to a authentication server so it *shouldn't* affect your game ping whatsoever. Are you able to borrow an xbox to test the theory?

I do understand that it would not most likely affect my in game ping but well that’s not exactly what i mean, I’m trying to say that 40ms is coming from my xbox and not a server so if we could somehow figure out why the xbox was getting 40ms my server pings wouldn’t be 40ms+ maybe the servers are just reading my ping back to me(which is technically 40ms) so the game servers do not have an issue with themselves but more likely my ping from my xbox alone is causing the issue and so i’m just seeing what steps could be took to lower/fix the ping back from the xbox itself before the game servers. And also I don’t have a separate xbox but I can borrow a Ps5 to test the theory. I can test my internet speeds on a Ps5 and if it’s 40ms as well the issue is not the xbox or the xbox’s configurations, But if it is 17ms on the Ps5 then its most likely a nighthawk/modem/ISP issue you get what i’m saying?

• Administrators

It doesn't really work like that but I get your reasoning, although the servers used will be different and so the results could be completely different, trying with the PS5 could provide some other results to go off, let us know what you get!