XR1000V2 QOS Congestion Control

hello i have been messing with my qos settings for almost 2 weeks and read a lot the forum post. I finally managed to get the ping under load to an A+ after 2 weeks of playing with it but my bufferbloat score on waveform is still a C or D. Also i was wondering why it took cutting my internet in half on the congestion control setting to get the A+ underload score.

• Administrators

Are you referring to A+ on Connection Benchmark? Bufferbloat occurs when your connection is saturated, with Congestion Control active that can't happen so I wouldn't worry about the values too much. Every connection is different, some people may require even more throttling for a value that low. Just set it to Auto Enable so it only applies when gaming.

So my internet is 800down/25 up from xfinity. I have to set the value of the cc to 400 to keep the bench mark test for ping under load to get and A+.But when I set speed to 800 and bring CC to 50% I get all these connection spikes in the test that are in line with the waveform bufferbloat test at 70+ms upwards 200+ on download. Weird thing is my CC is working for my upload it stays close to idle ping even on waveform. I have multiple devices hooked to my router 3 tvs,firesticks, multiple phones. I was just wondering if you had tricks for the CC on the download side bc it definitely worse with YouTube and Netflix running on multiple devices to where I can see those packetburst or flat out dsync in games I'm playing. Also while trying to run these connection test my router completely kicks me out and makes me log back in. I've tried application and device allocation to try to help and it never does 800mbs shouldn't get saturated that much on down should it?

• Administrators

Connection Benchmark does disconnect devices so that makes sense.

I'd suggest following this guide https://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping while downloading/streaming etc and start with a high value for Congestion Control (set to Always), say 95% then check, decrease by 10%, check, decrease by 10% etc, until you get to a value that is pretty good and then try 5% either side of that value to see if it can be improved. It's important to note that Download & Upload on Congestion Control don't have to be the same value and that you may have a better experience with differing values. This will be a more real world test.

yeah so when using ping plotter i noticed when i turned on ivp6 on  it had no packet loss at the router and with it off i see packet loss right at the router with ivp4 active only top photo is ivp6 and bottom is ivp4

Screenshot 2024-07-18 182023.png

Screenshot 2024-07-18 203933.png

• Administrators

You only need to worry about packet loss if it appears on the bottom graph which you're not seeing so that's fine. There are some little spikes, are you able to reduce those at all?

the 2 previous ping plotter images are with cc on always im honestly getting frustrated im having to set my cc into the mid 20s for download to look like its somewhat normal on a 800+ connection i cant take all the internet away from others just to game without unreal lag spikesScreenshot2024-07-19181418.thumb.png.36fdbac167b06e99796f9d8f73019efb.png 

this one is with cc set to 30% if feel like im doing something wrong Screenshot2024-07-19181519.thumb.png.697eed0ddd460caca3606b0a288cd249.png

• Administrators

I wouldn't focus on Connection Benchmark, if you did the real world test with downloads using PingPlotter then it's proof that your connection does not get that bad so just focus on PingPlotter and reducing those spikes if possible. Realistically with Congestion Control set to Auto Enable so it only applies when you're gaming other devices will still have plenty for any activities they need e.g. 4K streams etc.

So just give up on the connection benchmarks that the router is displaying? Is it a incorrect reading or is the version having bugs issue with it bc when i do a waveform test it give the same spastic ping in the download category. I sound like a crazy person at this point but i do appreciate the insight you are giving me.

• Administrators

It's going to be using servers that aren't necessarily as close to you. The benefit of using PingPlotter is you're doing downloads/streams etc while doing it and therefore actually performing tasks you would normally be doing on the internet and adjusting Congestion Control to control the ping in that situation. Therefore it's going to be more accurate and a real world test.