Xbox Network has Open NAT only when connected to Cardiff servers, yet I'm in Los Angeles, California USA

Hello, lately I have been experiencing rubberbanding and losing connection with the server (dropping me on to the map in various places) when playing multiplayer on COD MW3 on my Xbox Series X (wireless and wired).

I have done a NAT test via my Xbox settings and on my R3, I notice I connect to Cardiff servers in the UK and sometimes a Dublin server (screenshots attached). If I block those servers in the router, I get a "Can't get a Teredo IP address" message and NAT is unavailable. 

If I don't even interact with them (choosing allow or deny) or if I allow them, I will get an Open NAT,  but if I deny them NAT is unavailable.

I feel like I should be connecting to an Xbox Network (aka XBox Live) server closer to my location, which is Los Angeles, California USA.

Also, when I play COD MW3 MP, game servers are in my area, but I feel like I route to the UK then back to the US West. Just a thought...

Here are some additional details:

I have gone through troubleshooting with my ISP (Spectrum) and they installed a new coaxial line from the main box at my apartment complex to my specific unit, as they said the signal had lots of interference between those points, yet the issue still occurs.

Spectrum also replaced my modem as they said the previous one was outdated, but then I also purchased an Arris SB8200 v3 to see if that made a difference. Issue still occurs.

I have both an XR500 and R3 (v4.0.236). Both have been tried, yet the issue still occurs.

Questions:

• Should I be connecting to a server closer to me?
  • Could this be causing my issues with COD MW3 MP?
  • Is this an ISP issue, Xbox Network issue, or a router issue?

I started here on the NetDuma forum because I felt like it would be the most helpful, as opposed to the ISP or Xbox support.

Thanks for reading the ramble! ☮️

IMG_3799.jpeg

IMG_3806.jpeg

IMG_3800.jpeg

IMG_3802.PNG

IMG_3803.PNG

IMG_3805.PNG

• Administrators

The NAT server doesn't really matter, it's just a server they're using to check whether you have an Open NAT. It won't be affecting your game ping at all.

"game servers are in my area, but I feel like I route to the UK then back to the US West. Just a thought..." what ping are you getting the servers in your area? How have you setup Congestion Control/SmartBOOST?

Hi Fraser, thanks for the quick reply and the help!

Via COD MW3 in-game Network Info, I get 16ms on up, depending on which servers I connect to. They are usually in the 20-50ms range. 

Congestion control is set to Expert and recently I have found up and down settings that get me an A+ on bufferbloat test.

I have the Xbox console and Gaming set as priority.

Thank you and the team for the work on improving the firmware and support here on the forum. It is much appreciated!

Screenshot 2024-07-11 at 12.09.41 PM.pngimage.thumb.png.7750bfb9748c93e81a2fe8627153e807.png

Screenshot 2024-07-11 at 12.26.12 PM.png

• Administrators

Okay well that all seems very good, are you seeing ping spikes on the Geo-Filter when you get the rubber banding? When you lose connection do you see anything blocked on the Geo map?