High Ping with VPN

Hi, 

i am from Switzerland and when I start the VPN e.g. to Israel and set the geo-filter to Europe, I have pings over 130. But when I stop the VPN, the ping is 20, is that normal? For VPN I use Surfshark (OpenVPN) and the OS has the version 4.0.219)

• Administrators

Yes I would say this is normal, you're adding a hop to a server far away so instead of:

Switzerland > Europe > Switzerland

It's doing:

Switzerland > Israel > Europe > Israel > Switzerland

Using a VPN will increase your ping, especially if you're using a server far away.

18 hours ago, sigknight said:

Hi, 

i am from Switzerland and when I start the VPN e.g. to Israel and set the geo-filter to Europe, I have pings over 130. But when I stop the VPN, the ping is 20, is that normal? For VPN I use Surfshark (OpenVPN) and the OS has the version 4.0.219)

Hi

1.) Make sure you run v4.0.219 or above. These guys nailed it (regarding VPN) after this version. (oops , sorry. Read your post again and you are good)

2.)You have to route all ports (TCP/UDP: 1-65535) to specific ports only. Do not use all traffic.

3) You must add a "route-nopull" command in your ovpn file.

I am from Greece.  i'm connected to South Africa with hybridVPN and I'm  playing on 50 ms ping central Europe servers .

IMG_0983.thumb.JPEG.f10112357b4fe9b577f0de682ee37c69.JPEG

22 minutes ago, Sgt-Greco said:

2.)You have to route all ports (TCP/UDP: 1-65535) to specific ports only. Do not use all traffic.

thx for the help, where is the setting for this?

3 minutes ago, sigknight said:

thx for the help, where is the setting for this?

vpn.png.c83def8a806e22b6ca7dc479b174a23f.png

it's probably 3076 on PS5. I am on XBOX

• 2 months later...
On 7/3/2024 at 4:52 PM, Sgt-Greco said:

Hi

1.) Make sure you run v4.0.219 or above. These guys nailed it (regarding VPN) after this version. (oops , sorry. Read your post again and you are good)

3) You must add a "route-nopull" command in your ovpn file.

I am from Greece.  i'm connected to South Africa with hybridVPN and I'm  playing on 50 ms ping central Europe servers .

IMG_0983.thumb.JPEG.f10112357b4fe9b577f0de682ee37c69.JPEG

greetings, I'm a little late, but I hope you'll take a look anyway. Do you perhaps have instructions for the route nopull? I'm completely new and I'm desperate...unfortunately the information from Google doesn't make me any wiser.

short info, I set up the router and the filter worked great, then I added NordVPN as a hybrid VPN. The ping was still at 50 (completely ok)(I come from Germany, the VPN was in Algeria). after a few solo rounds of Warzone (without any problems) I wanted to invite friends to the party and to Discord. From then on the ping was at 200 and above. Does anyone have a tip?

• Administrators
4 hours ago, MoJoe90 said:

greetings, I'm a little late, but I hope you'll take a look anyway. Do you perhaps have instructions for the route nopull? I'm completely new and I'm desperate...unfortunately the information from Google doesn't make me any wiser.

4 hours ago, MoJoe90 said:

short info, I set up the router and the filter worked great, then I added NordVPN as a hybrid VPN. The ping was still at 50 (completely ok)(I come from Germany, the VPN was in Algeria). after a few solo rounds of Warzone (without any problems) I wanted to invite friends to the party and to Discord. From then on the ping was at 200 and above. Does anyone have a tip?

Just in your VPN file in the top part, between the word client and whatever the last line is before the certificate stuff just paste in route-nopull on a new line.

Are you hosting the game when that happens? The game may be routing you through them to a further away server

Good morning, I have set everything up like this and added route-nopull to the file. All problems are gone, so far it works with every country (which I have tested), except for America, where the VPN simply does not connect. I'll try it again this evening and then post the protocol, but it's still great.

• 2 weeks later...

I greet you 🖖 After I had some starting problems everything finally worked. Now I've even got wireguard to work properly. I had a software update yesterday and it feels like everything is running more smoothly now. This time it's not a support request, just praise. I'm super happy with the NetdumaR3, if you really sit with it for two weeks and try it out, you can really get the best out of it. In that sense, a big thank you to you and have a nice weekend ❤️