R1 IP Address

Akic

Hi all, just ordered an R1after reading up on it and have high hopes for it curing the godawful lag in AW for me. 

Just a quick question regarding the device's IP address.  I see a lot of talk on the forums regarding a .88.xx subnet on the device, am I correct in thinking this is the subnet the device uses on the LAN ports and if so is this configurable to another subnet?

Reasom I ask is I have a rather complex network setup at home due to having SKY fibre and its garbage SAGEM POS router so am already double NAT'd and I was hoping I could configure the R1 to use the 192.168.1.x subnet which the rest of my LAN uses.

Cheers

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Akic,

Thanks for purchasing :)

You can change the subnet, but you can't achieve what you want I'm afraid. The R1 is a router so it must router traffics between two different networks, setting it to 192.168.1.x like the other router will not work, it will just make the duma very confused.

Hi Akic,

Thanks for purchasing :)

You can change the subnet, but you can't achieve what you want I'm afraid. The R1 is a router so it must router traffics between two different networks, setting it to 192.168.1.x like the other router will not work, it will just make the duma very confused.

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

As long as I can change the subnet I'm good, I'm not looking to route to the same subnet (of course that can't be done without routing tables) I just wanted to hook up the LAN ports to the existing subnet so I don't have to reconfigure all my devices IP addresses.  (i'm old school networking, fixed IPs for everything :))

Looking forward to my delivery

Guest Netduma_Iain

Sorry didnt mean to be patronising. Yes you can change the subbet but only to 192.168.x.1/24, which I think is fine in your case as you want 192.168.1.1/24 :)

If your connection is playing up with sky as mine always does try using a different DNS some you won't have any problems on with lag+hit reg others you will (I think this should be helpful)

Just to be controversial, but DNS won't affect your xbox / PSN connection. Definition: 

"The domain name system (DNS) is the way that Internet domain names are located and translated into Internet Protocol addresses. A domain name is a meaningful and easy-to-remember "handle" for an Internet address."

Basically, DNS is what turns bbc.co.uk into 212.58.244.XX etc

But having said that, if you feel it is helping then it certainly doesn't hurt. Many a placebo has cured ills in their day.

If your connection is playing up with sky as mine always does try using a different DNS some you won't have any problems on with lag+hit reg others you will (I think this should be helpful)

I never use ISP's DNS I prefer Google (8.8.8.8) or OpenDNS (208.67.222.222) or you can use DNS benchmarking to find the best DNS for you, but as Buds says it won't have any effect on ping since any DNS query will be cached after the first lookup.

Having a good DNS server definitely helps with day to day browsing though so worth doing anyway.

I never use ISP's DNS I prefer Google (8.8.8.8) or OpenDNS (208.67.222.222) or you can use DNS benchmarking to find the best DNS for you, but as Buds says it won't have any effect on ping since the DNS query will be cached after the first lookup.

Having a good DNS server definitely helps with day to day browsing though so worth doing anyway.

Absolutely, can make a massive difference to web browsing (and usually does if you are just using ISP DNS).

Archived