Do I get kicked when host is outside of my geo-filter

Playing Destiny with geo-filter set to U.S. area. When starting a game I'll get booted right before it starts with the "rabbit" error but my team continues on into it. If I turn off geo-filter off then everything's fine.

Does this mean the host for the game is outside of my filter?

Guest Netduma Fraser

Playing Destiny with geo-filter set to U.S. area. When starting a game I'll get booted right before it starts with the "rabbit" error but my team continues on into it. If I turn off geo-filter off then everything's fine.

Possibly, how big is your Geo-filter when this happens?

3168 KM, pretty much continental U.S. and Canada.

But if enabling geo-filter boots me b/c host is outside of it, then it prevents me from playing PvP with friends.

Guest Netduma Fraser

3168 KM, pretty much continental U.S. and Canada.

But if enabling geo-filter boots me b/c host is outside of it, then it prevents me from playing PvP with friends.

Does this happen every time you try and play?

• 2 weeks later...

Does this happen every time you try and play?

Doesn't happen every time I play but when it does, it's pretty specific. The lobby loads, the match is about to begin and I get booted with a specific error code. I try again and the same thing happens. If I disable Geo-filter then the problem is fixed.

If I'm playing solo it's kind of a PITA but if I'm on a team with friends then it really sucks b/c they continue on into the game and I'm stuck behind.

Guest Netduma Fraser

Doesn't happen every time I play but when it does, it's pretty specific. The lobby loads, the match is about to begin and I get booted with a specific error code. I try again and the same thing happens. If I disable Geo-filter then the problem is fixed.

If I'm playing solo it's kind of a PITA but if I'm on a team with friends then it really sucks b/c they continue on into the game and I'm stuck behind.

What version of the router are you on? 

Xbone

sorry to jump in here fraser ;)

I'm assuming you get Rabbit everytime this occurs correct?

The problem is you're blocking a server thats outside your geofilter range, simple to fix

instead of disabling your geofilter expand it to world wide, and play as normal ,you should see a few games connect to servers in mainland EU when this happens add them to your allow list . The issue is Destinys matchmaking isnt local it will put you into matches all over the place if you play crucible as its mostly p2p.

I'm assuming you get Rabbit everytime this occurs correct?

Actually, it's Beaver. But I'll try the fix you mentioned and see if that helps.

So what's the difference between expanding my geo-filter worldwide vs. turning it off for PvP?

instead of disabling your geofilter expand it to world wide, and play as normal ,you should see a few games connect to servers in mainland EU when this happens add them to your allow list . The issue is Destinys matchmaking isnt local it will put you into matches all over the place if you play crucible as its mostly p2p.

I thought the point of ht geo-filter is to limit the connection distance between you and the host. Why would I want to expand it across the globe and all hosts from anywhere? That seems to defeat the purpose of having it on.

What I don't like is that I get booted from a game right before it starts when geo-filter is on and the host is outside of my filter. I can't play with a team when it's on b/c I get booted and they get placed into the game.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Woof Dah is this happening when you're the party leader? 

I think in Destiny you need to make the filter larger then you would for CoD because on Destiny every player has to be within the circle. So its actually better on Destiny when you get a game you should be smooth as!

Woof Dah is this happening when you're the party leader? 

I think in Destiny you need to make the filter larger then you would for CoD because on Destiny every player has to be within the circle. So its actually better on Destiny when you get a game you should be smooth as!

It happens when I'm party leader, not party leader, and playing solo. My filter is currently set to the U.S and most of Canada which should be big enough.

It happens when I'm party leader, not party leader, and playing solo. My filter is currently set to the U.S and most of Canada which should be big enough.

But thats not a Netduma thing, that is Destiny allowing matchmaking to bring players from all over the world into same lobby. If every player has to be inside the geo-filter radius to start game successfully (as Iain says) then you have no option but to increase size / accept ratio of booted games or turn it off. Alternative would be to go and ask Bungie to sort their matchmaking but I don't think they listen so good :D

Guest Netduma_Iain

The size of us and canda is more than enough.

I didn't test destiny it was Fraser I'll ask to confirm/deny this.

But for some games it's just what you have to do if you want that low distance(therefore low ping) game

Absolutely more than enough given the player population in game. Does make you wonder when they could form lobbies with all players from same continent why they would allow 'outsiders' to join. Doesn't really help anyone.

I know some will be parties of players who have chosen to accept that issue, but equally I'd put money on the game being quite capable of doing it itself. Probably a skill / level cap match up or something?

Guest Netduma Fraser

I didn't test destiny it was Fraser I'll ask to confirm/deny this.

But for some games it's just what you have to do if you want that low distance(therefore low ping) game

Yeah, Ill update my post today after I test it. :)

Archived