Hit Detection vs. Ping

ImmortalSageMLG

I was under the impression that ping was the ideal measure of how well your hit detection will be. Recently I came across the following post:

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/2452-dont-buy-another-router-to-throttle-your-r1-for-cod-lag-comp/

This article caught my attention. I am located in Waterloo, Canada. I have a 60/ 10 connection. Previously, I would just set the congestion control bars to 70% and pay most of my attention to the geo-filter. The Netduma helped at times. But there would be times my aim is spot on and I shoot first, but I could not win a gun fight regardless of the circumstances. After reading the posting, I began to experiment. With my previous setup, I would check my bandwidth in the System Info section of Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. It would read 4123kbps. Currently I make it between 1300kbps - 2000kbps. Making this change, my ping according to the Geo-Filter did not change however I felt as if I had godly hit detection. I'm not sure if I am suffering from some placebo effect after reading the post above, or it actually made a difference.

Could someone explain to me the relation between ping and hit detection?

This is Call of Duty where the publishers are so cheap they don't even want to give you Dedicated Servers for years.
And when they finally do, they use the cheapest servers they can find and that is why some people will not be able to tell whether they are playing off P2P or a Dedicated Server unless they have the Netduma R1 and see what the game is running on.

But that's the thing. If you see other games running on Dedicated Servers like Rocket League, a fast paced game, even with my high ping of 140 ms to the closest server in my region like Australia for Rocket League, I still find the game to be running smooth and spot on. That is because they buy the really good Dedicated Servers that can actually balance out everybody's connections.

Second thing is, why does speed matter? Well it is based on a theory that some people came up with that seems logical. The game punishes people with good connection vs someone using a McDonald's WiFi to play online. So they believe that since they cannot change their pings, maybe there is some way to prevent the game for Lag Compensating them badly. So they meddled with the speeds and during that time, different games has the minimum upload speed that works for them but not for others. This is because your location in whichever part of the world matters just as much as whether you are playing solo or in a party. So someone can say 768Kbps up works for them while others say 256Kbps up is better. I'll make it simple. Every different match, there may be a different host from another location using a good/bad internet. So the upload speed to counter Lag Compensation varies in every game. The moment I see myself getting Insta-Killed by a lagger with lower bars than me, I know I am getting Lag Compensated. So I'll lower the upload speed further to make it look like a have a bad connection and can't handle much data to be passed through thus decreasing/eliminating the Lag Compensation function a bit.

Last thing is, the developers' Net Coding matters. Running off the more than a decade old Quake 3 engine doesn't do anyone any favor. If you see in depth videos or test it yourself, even playing on lan/private match, there is already the delay of when you can see someone run around the corner. The delay is slightly different for every COD but it's still present.
Here's the video by ovenbakedmuffin to explain more in greater detail.
https://youtu.be/rowbZzfPMKk

This is Call of Duty where the publishers are so cheap they don't even want to give you Dedicated Servers for years.

And when they finally do, they use the cheapest servers they can find and that is why some people will not be able to tell whether they are playing off P2P or a Dedicated Server unless they have the Netduma R1 and see what the game is running on.

But that's the thing. If you see other games running on Dedicated Servers like Rocket League, a fast paced game, even with my high ping of 140 ms to the closest server in my region like Australia for Rocket League, I still find the game to be running smooth and spot on. That is because they buy the really good Dedicated Servers that can actually balance out everybody's connections.

Second thing is, why does speed matter? Well it is based on a theory that some people came up with that seems logical. The game punishes people with good connection vs someone using a McDonald's WiFi to play online. So they believe that since they cannot change their pings, maybe there is some way to prevent the game for Lag Compensating them badly. So they meddled with the speeds and during that time, different games has the minimum upload speed that works for them but not for others. This is because your location in whichever part of the world matters just as much as whether you are playing solo or in a party. So someone can say 768Kbps up works for them while others say 256Kbps up is better. I'll make it simple. Every different match, there may be a different host from another location using a good/bad internet. So the upload speed to counter Lag Compensation varies in every game. The moment I see myself getting Insta-Killed by a lagger with lower bars than me, I know I am getting Lag Compensated. So I'll lower the upload speed further to make it look like a have a bad connection and can't handle much data to be passed through thus decreasing/eliminating the Lag Compensation function a bit.

Last thing is, the developers' Net Coding matters. Running off the more than a decade old Quake 3 engine doesn't do anyone any favor. If you see in depth videos or test it yourself, even playing on lan/private match, there is already the delay of when you can see someone run around the corner. The delay is slightly different for every COD but it's still present.

Here's the video by ovenbakedmuffin to explain more in greater detail.

https://youtu.be/rowbZzfPMKk

Thanks for the response man. I'm about to watch the video now!

Archived