Geo-filter suggestion

Just an idea, primarily for consoles, but sometimes I get a few 'circles' of similar size so unclear as to which is host.

Is router able to accurately tell to enable an alternate designation on the legend? Maybe a star or something once host established?

Not a huge issue just thinking as I build my naughty / nice list up.

Just an idea, primarily for consoles, but sometimes I get a few 'circles' of similar size so unclear as to which is host.

Is router able to accurately tell to enable an alternate designation on the legend? Maybe a star or something once host established?

Not a huge issue just thinking as I build my naughty / nice list up.

One thing we have already added to the to do list is a "zoom in" feature but , I shall ask Iain about adding a designation .

also just out of interest when you said similar sizes were the other circles all about the same size?

Yes about the same size. Now I'll confess most of my looking at the geo-filter is via iPad whilst I search matchmaking. The slightly reduced size would mean less differentiation in size is immediately apparent.

Like I said not an issue really, just the host (once established) would be easier to immediately identify if using an alternate icon for the legend.

Guest Netduma_Iain

I think Adam to mention this, but since I'm answering anyway I might as well. If the circles are all the same size it probably means you're host.

Trying to determine who the host is, is actually quite a difficult procedure which humans are good at. Its kinda like a captcha, a nightmare for computers to figure out but very easy for humans. I don't think we will be doing it soon unless it becomes critical task.

No worries Iain. Don't think I was host (ping and trace certainly would suggest not) but not a major issue.

Normally find were a few larger circles are up at once that one will remain after match has been going a couple of mins, which can then be pinged etc.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Great, in case you're interested. The circle size is just the amount of data its sending relative to other circles. So typically the one sending the most will be the host. 

If you're host however, you'll be sending about equal amount to all players so they all appear as the same size. I guess I could add a "home circle" which shows your data sending relative to other players. That would show if you're host. What do you think? yea or nay

Unrelated query but just sprung to mind.

I have my xbox as only device to utilise host filtering. Once the R1 detects traffic from xbox is host filtering active or does the UI need to be operating?

In other words, if laptop / iPad is off am I still getting benefit of host filtering?

Guest Netduma_Iain

Good to know, I'll add that to the list as well. The router will continue with the settings you last set. Unless you reboot it, in which case it tries to guess your home again. 

Archived