Improve Performance and Reliability

blue2kid3

After smashing my head against the wall wondering why Airlink and virtual desktop couldn't seem to manage more than 70 Mbps but would dip wildly and stutter; Here is the guide to fix this god damn router for better device to device performance ect. Useful for sending large files, VR Desktop, Remote play, steam link, Steam VR, Meta or Oculus Quest 2 air link, and just using your devices.

1. Separate 2.4Ghz from 5Ghz (Give them unique names and passwords IE. Duma2.4 Duma_5Ghz)

2. Turn off Congestion Control, useful for exclusive use of online multiplayer gaming but if downloading files or using a local network it WILL throttle performance. 

3. Disable all Traffic Prioritization, most devices and apps can do this auto-magically you do NOT want packets getting held, for best performance send a packet as soon as it is ready, you want a lower ping, correct? Then why add latency to each packet that is so dumb.  

4. Enable AX, Enable OFDMA in 2.4GHz, Enable OFDMA in 5GHz (if router supports wifi 6, this will use wifi 6 protocol AX and will separate channels into smaller "chunks" increasing speed while reducing noise) 

5. In Advanced settings > Wireless settings > Enable Beamforming, enable MU-MIMO, enable AX again. (I have no idea why these are not on be default... even $50 routers manage to auto enable MU-MIMO and beamforming)

6. Reboot router then Enjoy a router that works properly! 

Testing now has Quest air link locked at 200 Mbps (max speed at time of testing) sending a steam game from PC to gaming laptop via local connection shows stable 1,100 Mbps (max speed of gig ethernet port) 

MU Mimo is only useful for clients that support it and you need at least 2 and to be within a fairly close proximity.

2.4Ghz is used mainly by IoT and these devices are normally WiFi 4 and so OFDMA has no effect on them. Some tend to isolate their IoT due to security as they are often left behind by security updates once they reach point of end of support while some get none. Latency will be higher and throughput will be slower. Add into it the streams and client wait time.

I believe you are at max or round about for the Quest wireless connection. 

love my Quest 2, not bad tech for the price.

On 1/30/2023 at 10:12 PM, Newfie said:

MU Mimo is only useful for clients that support it and you need at least 2 and to be within a fairly close proximity.

99.9% of Households have a small to medium sized space (close proximity) and have over 10 MUMIMO devices as the tech is old. ((even my Panasonic plasma supported MUMIMO))

2.4Ghz is used mainly by IoT and these devices are normally WiFi 4 and so OFDMA has no effect on them. Some tend to isolate their IoT due to security as they are often left behind by security updates once they reach point of end of support while some get none. Latency will be higher and throughput will be slower. Add into it the streams and client wait time.

Any device that supports wifi 6, 5, 4, ect will support the 2.4GHz band; it's not a generation, is a FQ spectrum range so, again most users will have low priority devices set to the 2.4GHz band such as smartphones, smart lights, smart TVs, microwave ovens ect. So that isn't an issue the reason to ensure separation is to keep the 5GHz FQ range clear and open for high priority devices. IE a quest 2 or gaming device. 

I believe you are at max or round about for the Quest wireless connection. 

love my Quest 2, not bad tech for the price.

Yes, with the instructions this will keep quest 2 at 200 Mbps stable and allow for low latency multiplayer gaming with it via steam == quest link. 

Something that the DUMA router out of the box was unable to achieve even with the router celling mounted, 15 feet away from the quest 2 from it, the pc and router all in the same room within 15 - 20 feet of each other. 

I made this to be helpful to many users. I am not sure what the point of your post was.... Do you want to compare computer science degrees, because I'll pass. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2023 at 5:54 AM, blue2kid3 said:

99.9% of Households have a small to medium sized space (close proximity) and have over 10 MUMIMO devices as the tech is old. ((even my Panasonic plasma supported MUMIMO))

Any device that supports wifi 6, 5, 4, ect will support the 2.4GHz band; it's not a generation, is a FQ spectrum range so, again most users will have low priority devices set to the 2.4GHz band such as smartphones, smart lights, smart TVs, microwave ovens ect. So that isn't an issue the reason to ensure separation is to keep the 5GHz FQ range clear and open for high priority devices. IE a quest 2 or gaming device. 

Yes, with the instructions this will keep quest 2 at 200 Mbps stable and allow for low latency multiplayer gaming with it via steam == quest link. 

Something that the DUMA router out of the box was unable to achieve even with the router celling mounted, 15 feet away from the quest 2 from it, the pc and router all in the same room within 15 - 20 feet of each other. 

I made this to be helpful to many users. I am not sure what the point of your post was.... Do you want to compare computer science degrees, because I'll pass. 

I sure hope clients support 2.4Ghz. I wanted to expand on your post. You would want your smart phone on 5Ghz really as they tend to eat up throughput and will slow down 2.4 creating higher latency plus 2.4 is normally the most congested thus lowering throughput and increasing client time connections.

networking is not just about gaming ie. Devices on 2.4Ghz. It’s about the appropriate connection type vs distance, allocation  and security. IoT are the weak point as security is often lower than other clients hence why it’s a good idea to separate them. Of course you need better equipment to ensure firewalls are in place so communication over a set VLan can take place while isolating over Vlans to protect the network which is not something NG or Duma can do as you can’t access firewall rules.

worth noting IoT tends to be WiFi 4 and so AX or Mi Mumo is not supported. 

Latency is tested to WAN not just over WiFi. Mu Mimo is not easy to test and due to other clients vs streams running 2 devices at the same time will be hit or miss as other non MU clients join, leave, join. 

the R2 does not support mu mimo and some routers when a client with mu mimo joins will revert down on streams on some routers. Some of NGs revert from 4x4 to 2x2 which then makes mu mimo redundant as it’s a one client (2x2)at a time connection. You can’t prioritise Mu Mimo clients over WiFi. 

so a typical house has 10 devices and a mixture of other clients makes Mu Mimo almost impossible to test and see any benefit other than having a button on the UI for on and off which domestic routers tend to have. Once you step up that option disappears as we know it’s not an environment we can control to that degree. 

sadly none of the NG Duma routers have enough streams to see a benefit of Mu Mimo if you have more than 2 clients. 

the R2 should be fine with the quest. You should be able to hit a throughput of around 460 up and down which was fine on my Quest. Latency will bob about a little but it’s still acceptable. If you can’t reach 200 or have a latency issue we can try to find out what’s going on. 
are you using the quest 2 as a single client for your PC connection? If so the SXR2130P will not see any benefit with Mu Mimo on even with the chipset supporting it.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/why-you-dont-need-mu-mimo.41716/

The link above is quite good, lots of interesting info found there. Broadcoms vs Qualcomm implementation is different too. Add client implementation and it’s a mess where Mu Mimo has not set standard of performance. It’s why some routers have the setting off as it can effect performance as per the thread I linked too. Sadly Mu Mimo like many marketing ideas does not always deliver but looks and sounds like it’s needed.