ISP Providing Garbage Modems

AlMiller

Alright guys I’ve got a issue with my isp. I would simply switch to a different isp but I live in a very rural area and they are my only option. I have a dsl connection. Download: 10 mbps,  Upload: 1 mbps. They’re providing the speeds I’m paying for. My problem is that they have been giving me very cheap modems. They’ve given me 2 different brands: Comtrend ct-5072 and Zhone 6211-13-200 modems. And I had to do some digging to get those brand names. My isp actually put their own sticker over the brand decal so you wouldn’t find the name lol. They bring them to me and there is a layer of dust on them like they got pulled from a old shelf. My issue with the modems is they’re frying within 2 months of use. The isp supplies them free of charge but I gotta keep calling them out to bring a new modem every few months. These are NOT modem router combos. I have bought my own router to use (ubiquity edge router x). I asked my isp if I could buy my own modem to use and they said “no, our modems are specifically programmed for our internet and you cannot buy your own”. They get very aggressive when I ask about buying my own modem. I’ve had this service for years and for the last 2 years my problems have increased dramatically. I have the modems plugged into a battery powered surge protector so I wouldn’t think power surges would be an issue. Please comment what you’re thinking because I’m at a loss here. My isp is a local company not a big corporation that has multiple locations btw. 

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Just to let you know this forum is for the Netduma/DumaOS branded routers so it's not specifically something we could help you with. I will provide a bit of advice though and perhaps other users may have some advice.

A lot of the time you can use your own modem, the fact they get aggressive about it probably means that you can. I'm not sure if you can access the modem interface but it may have details on there of what you need for a connection though unlikely if it is a dumb modem - do you know if you require PPPoE for example? Personally what I would do is purchase a modem for DSL and then replace the ISP modem and see if it works - if so great! If not then just return the modem and no harm done but you probably won't be able to use your own.

Thank you for the advice. I should have also stated that I have supported you in past since I did purchase a netduma r1. That is why I figured I would post on here. And i do still use it. I didn't mean to step on toes with the ubiquity router haha 😅. My connection does require a username and password so when I call to get a new modem to get me going in the short term I'll ask what that info is. Do you have any recommendations for a dsl modem? I like the description of the netgear dm 200 but its kinda breaking the bank at $250. But at this point I'd be willing to pay a premium because gaming has been awful for the past 6 months!