Broadband speed, advice needed

RobReapz

Recently moved to talktalk broadband.

My speeds with previous supplier (standard fibre package) just prior to switching were around 37d and 5u. The most i have had on my line has been 40d and 8u a few yrs back but gradually the speeds have degraded, possibly due to me experimenting with so many different routers and too many power downs over the yrs.

Anyway with TT i paid for faster fibre with speed boost, basically the top package for my area. Initially speeds were 29d and 5u but a long power down to engage a new session boosted speeds up to 40d and 5u. obviously thats crap for supposedly speed boost.

They said in my welcome email my min guaranteed is 29.8dmb, typical DL 32-50.6mb, typical UL 6.7-10.9mb so i was expecting speeds nearer the top end of those figures as i live in a small village and am not to far from cabinet.

I went on the TT forum as some peeps on here suggested to do as opposed to ringing call centre and they went through the usual script etc, no faults found. My router is connected to the test socket to eliminate internal problems. but am still not seeing speeds above 40d or 5u. TT claim speed boost is active and my line is not capped at all but to me seems like i am capped especially on the upload speed. I asked for a DLM profile reset to try and resolve.

The TT guy said my current sync speed is 43.1d and 5.6u and there is nothing they can do because im above guaranteed speed and there is no line faults and doing a DLM reset is pointless because im on the fastest available line profile. Unfortunately i have no idea what my sync speeds and stats are as my router/modem doesnt show line stats so dunno if hes telling porkys.

So where do i go from here and what technical jargon can i throw at TT? any help much appreciated.

Guest Killhippie
On 10/22/2020 at 11:15 PM, RobReapz said:

Recently moved to talktalk broadband.

My speeds with previous supplier (standard fibre package) just prior to switching were around 37d and 5u. The most i have had on my line has been 40d and 8u a few yrs back but gradually the speeds have degraded, possibly due to me experimenting with so many different routers and too many power downs over the yrs.

Anyway with TT i paid for faster fibre with speed boost, basically the top package for my area. Initially speeds were 29d and 5u but a long power down to engage a new session boosted speeds up to 40d and 5u. obviously thats crap for supposedly speed boost.

They said in my welcome email my min guaranteed is 29.8dmb, typical DL 32-50.6mb, typical UL 6.7-10.9mb so i was expecting speeds nearer the top end of those figures as i live in a small village and am not to far from cabinet.

I went on the TT forum as some peeps on here suggested to do as opposed to ringing call centre and they went through the usual script etc, no faults found. My router is connected to the test socket to eliminate internal problems. but am still not seeing speeds above 40d or 5u. TT claim speed boost is active and my line is not capped at all but to me seems like i am capped especially on the upload speed. I asked for a DLM profile reset to try and resolve.

The TT guy said my current sync speed is 43.1d and 5.6u and there is nothing they can do because im above guaranteed speed and there is no line faults and doing a DLM reset is pointless because im on the fastest available line profile. Unfortunately i have no idea what my sync speeds and stats are as my router/modem doesnt show line stats so dunno if hes telling porkys.

So where do i go from here and what technical jargon can i throw at TT? any help much appreciated.

Unless you move not much I'm afraid. I know that sounds harsh but you can only squeeze so much out of your line. Your throughput is down to how far from the cab you are, the grade of copper, its diameter, and also any aluminium (if any) in the line as well as RFI and network contention. You are on a package that gives you a minimum and maximum, you cant get much more because its physically impossible. There nothing you can do, but use the throughput you have, also the degraded speeds are due to crosstalk from other users, and that's just how things are. TT promised you the best speed for your line and that's what you have.