Clarification on how QoS works

tephra

Hi Team,

Can I just get a clarification on how QoS is meant to work on this platform?

FWIW - I have cable internet, 100mbit down, 20mbit up.

If I have "auto enable", with 25% up and down, then WHEN gaming my link is limited to 25mbit/5mbit (and this works).

My questions are:

1. Does traffic identified in the traffic prioritisation section (ie DumaOS classified games) fall into the congestion control (of 25mbit/5mbit) - or is it free to use as much as it likes?

2. Given the above, what is the point of "gaming" in the bandwidth allocation? I would have thought "gaming" would be prioritised traffic, so not subject to congestion control?

3. In terms of queuing strategy, does prioritised traffic (ie DumaOS classified games) get put to the top of the egress queue (and is transmitted as fast as possible)?

Lastly, is it possible to get the graphs updated with a graph for all traffic and then another graph (or line) for traffic that falls into the "prioritised" catagory?

Regards

David

• Administrators

To answer your questions:

1. Traffic that has been prioritized by Traffic Prioritization supersedes QoS - now this isn't cause for concern usually because gaming traffic is so small that it won't impact your other devices.
  2. Not everyone chooses to prioritize all the gaming devices and so you can choose to not prioritize some but still ensure all gaming devices get the bandwidth they need. For example if I'm a dad who is super competitive on CoD I'm going to want to be prioritized over my daughter who is playing my little pony but I still want her to have the bandwidth she needs. Disclaimer - not a dad.
  3. Yes
  4. You're probably only seeing the background portions of the graph as they will account for the bulk traffic of your network. Click the key words on the left of it to remove them from the graph view and show the prioritized sections instead.