R2 SETUP - some feedback

ketheriel

Hi all,

I've just received my R2 today; Very good service from Deutsche Post/DHL, packing was great everything went perfect. I've setup the R2 without much problems, I just have a few things to say:

1. Your DHCP client is somehow odd, as it only worked as intended after a 'factory reset' to pick up the DHCP from my fiber modem (works for me, no big deal);
2. After testing, I've decided to enable bridge mode on my fiber modem, and it went fine (did a factory reset to prevent kinky DHCP client behavior, all working ok);
3. Speed tests (I have symmetric 200Mbs) do look nice! 

Things I truly would like to see improved/added:

a) DHCP client behaviour, when someone connects/disconnects cable on internet port, dhcp client should do his voodoo :)
b) Add a command line to control the firewall; Since I have the R2 bridged with my fiber modem, I would like to add some custom rules to the firewall, simple stuff like drop all fragmented packets, drop all packets that have all flags enabled, etc. Is this possible? 

Great job. Me is happy, and will have an orgasm if I can tweak firewall according to my needs ;)

Kindest Regards,
NMM, the somali pirate...

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Thank you for the feedback. DHCP should be working correctly - if you do notice it again then please let us know. We have focused on a user friendly experience, implementing something like that would be more complex for the average user but I will add it to our roadmap and see if we can add it in future.

40 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thank you for the feedback. DHCP should be working correctly 

It went away after I restarted all network equipment, fiber modem, etc... 

Regarding advanced firewall control, for my particular needs, it doesn't need to be GUI based, just a cli will do fine, for example on a ssh port. Something like Microtik routerboards have ;) that would make my day... Other than that, I'm quite happy, everything working fine now, and the geo-filter works pretty sweat and easy to configure. For sure a piece of equipment I would recommend.

I am going to change my setup and put a linux box getting the bridge from the fiber router and do the firewalling with netfilter while I don't have such option on the router. Thanks for considering the option.