GoPro - High FPS vs High resolution. Which is more important?

Netduma Crossy

• Netduma Staff

I'm going to pick up a GoPro soon.

I've seen that you could choose a really high FPS (120) but this takes the resolution down to 720. On the other hand you could have 30fps but the resolution would be 4k.

Does any body have any opinions on which is more important? Should I have the high FPS or the high resolution? The footage it is going to record will be rock climbing and scuba diving. I thought that with rock climbing, a higher FPS would be better due to it having a bit more action and faster movement. The with scuba diving I was thinking a higher resolution as the movement is slow anyway and also it seams like the detail would be more important than the FPS.

But I'm not really sure. If anybody has any experience using the GoPro in any of these situations or has any recommendations as to which is more important then please share with me :) Thanks!

EDIT:

I should add that it isn't just these two settings. There are other settings also. Maybe it would be better smash bang in the middle with a medium FPS and medium resolution? :)

I have a Gopro black edition and usually go with the 1080p60fps for battery life and to keep the heat down(they get really hot).  Go higher fps if its something that is really action oriented like car mounted or go cart etc.  4k is cool but it chews through the battery and the guy feels like a comet after 30 minutes.  Really depends on the trade off honestly of quality vs time/heat.

• Netduma Staff

I have a Gopro black edition and usually go with the 1080p60fps for battery life and to keep the heat down(they get really hot).  Go higher fps if its something that is really action oriented like car mounted or go cart etc.  4k is cool but it chews through the battery and the guy feels like a comet after 30 minutes.  Really depends on the trade off honestly of quality vs time/heat.

Ok, thats really useful to know - I didn't realise they get hot. I think that 1080p 60fps might be good for me also as I don't even know if I have any devices that can display resolution above that and 60fps is really smooth too. Thanks :)

EDIT:

I just seen what I posted in my OP was incorrect. It is 240fps at 720 and 120fps will be supported at 1080p. Depending on how battery life is affected I might stick with 1080p but take the FPS all the way up to max.

Higher the fps the more draw on the camera.  Unless there is alot of movement 60fps seems to be a sweet spot for most of my needs but I love the camera.  You won't regret it.  Just play with it to find what works best for you.

• Netduma Staff

Higher the fps the more draw on the camera.  Unless there is alot of movement 60fps seems to be a sweet spot for most of my needs but I love the camera.  You won't regret it.  Just play with it to find what works best for you.

Ok, thanks :) 1080 60fps sounds good to me so I'll try first wit that.

Archived