Why the WiFi speed is only 145Mb/s

abc123

The reason comes down to 64-QAM vs 256-QAM, this router appears to be using only 64-QAM.  This is likely a hardware limitation and there isn't anything that can be done about it in this revision

Guest Netduma_Iain

How have you tested the wifi abc? Because that's about the max throughput of the router so you maybe getting false results. You should try an iperf between two computers on the LAN.

How have you tested the wifi abc? Because that's about the max throughput of the router so you maybe getting false results. You should try an iperf between two computers on the LAN.

? no WiFi...not LAN... :)

Basically the maximum i can copy a file over wifi to a lan computer is 18.125MB/s this is because of the 64-QAM internal instead of the much more modern and used 256-QAM.  this is why the TX Rate is 145Mbps vs 600Mbps.

Just letting other's know, basically in my review when i was speaking about WiFi i was stating that a larger channel width would benefit the router, but really nothing can except desoldering the WiFi module and replacing it with a better one (and then asking for the drivers for that new module to be included in the firmware)

actually thinking and reading more, reminds me that a 40 channel width would almost double the wifi speed...

meaning the channel 11 wireless N 20MHz = 145Mbps

would be channel 11 wireless N 40MHz = 300Mbps

But it would shorten the distance of the wifi, so basically just a channel width option is needed to prove this (or ssh access).  then you should be able to state 300Mbps internal network wifi speed which is more than tolerable for most.

Guest Netduma Fraser

I could open the device and see if a new wifi module could be added, then mark it as an advanced upgrade

We do not support this.

Guest Netduma Fraser

actually thinking and reading more, reminds me that a 40 channel width would almost double the wifi speed...

meaning the channel 11 wireless N 20MHz = 145Mbps

would be channel 11 wireless N 40MHz = 300Mbps

But it would shorten the distance of the wifi, so basically just a channel width option is needed to prove this (or ssh access).  then you should be able to state 300Mbps internal network wifi speed which is more than tolerable for most.

We will definitely look into this. I have personally talked to Iain about this before.

After changing to a different router running OpenWRT CC kernel 3.18

post-168-0-37903200-1420360018_thumb.png

Before it was going to take 6 hours...wireless N is configured wrong on this for sure, it could be lowest common denominator issue where a wireless g device brings down the speed but i don't have any on my network...so woops my bad

Archived