Major wifi issues

Ru2u

I'm having some major wifi issues with my R1 lately.

My internet connection is fine as my advertised internet package is 105mb down & 10mb up and I actually get 128mb down & 12mb up when tested on my PC from speedtest.net.

My internet test within Netduma tests at Good, Good, Exceptional, No Loss

My tablet in the same room, (6 feet away from Netduma), on wifi can barely get 1mb down & 1mb up. When I walk into the next room I can barely get an internet connection. The best I've got with my new Galaxy S6 in the same room is 12mb down & 2 up. When I received my Netduma months ago I also tested the wifi and the logs from back then are showing in the range of 53mb - 66mb down & 12up

I test my signal strength with Wifi Analyzer and there's a considerable drop as soon as I leave the room. I run on channel 11 which is the least congested channel in my area according to the app.

I have disabled wifi workaround, rebooted modem and R1 and still no better. I'm on latest version 1.03.4

• Administrators

Is that all devices? I was going to say just try different channels as it sounds like wifi interference.  Also you should try disabling IPv6, but I assume you've already done that.

Is that all devices? I was going to say just try different channels as it sounds like wifi interference.  Also you should try disabling IPv6, but I assume you've already done that.

Yes IPv6 is disabled. My phone and tablet are the only devices I'm worried about. My other devices don't really require large amounts of bandwidth like my Smart Home devices such as  Nest Thermostat and Smoke Detector, Wemo Light Switches etc.

I didn't want to change the channel since my Wifi Analyzer says the lower channels show more congestion from neighbors and such

• Administrators

I'm pretty sure the only thing that will make bandwidth go down that much is if there is interference or a wall. So its more likely its interference hence why channel changing is a good idea OR some device on your wifi network is using a lot of bandwidth. Check out the network monitor 

I'm pretty sure the only thing that will make bandwidth go down that much is if there is interference or a wall. So its more likely its interference hence why channel changing is a good idea OR some device on your wifi network is using a lot of bandwidth. Check out the network monitor 

Ok I scanned all channels in my area and found the least congested channel and it seems to be helping. I do notice that when changing the channel my MHz strength also changes. On channel 11 when I was having problems I would get a 2412 MHz rating but now on channel 7 I get 2442 MHz which I'm attributing to getting a stronger signal and better throughput.

I also scanned all the 5GHz channels and notice there is only 1 other device in the area using that frequency. Will the Netduma perform on 5GHz or should I stay on 2.4GHz?

Is there a possibility of adding an automatic channel scanning feature in the future where the Netduma could scan all channels and automatically switch to the least congested?

• Administrators

It doesn't support 5ghz unfortunately mate. But if you have a device that does we can advice you how to combine them together.  Also hopefully Zennon or Akic posts here as they know much more about optimising wifi than me.

Archived