BF1: lag free gaming with my netduma *Settings inside*

Hi buddies,

I've been playing BF1 on XBOX One a lot the past few days and at first when I started, I felt like always a second behind.

No other games had this issue so I knew it must have something to do with the servers of BF1.

As we all know the servers for Europe are all located in Ireland. Well... My ping to these servers with 50-60ms isn't so great.

I used to get 30-40ms on the European servers in BF4, but I knew I must cope to this, because it's unlikely that

EA would move the servers closer to me. That's the moment when I have begun to tweak my netduma settings.

I've been trying a lot of different settings and the following is what works the best for me and maybe even for you.

Let's begin:

EDITED on November, 7th of 2016:

1.) Browse to 192.168.88.1 (Netduma UI)

2.) Click on Congestion Control: Set both sliders for down- and upload to 100%.

3.) Browse to www.dslreports.com/speedtest

4.) Make a speed test and note down the bandwidth measured.

5.) Go back to the Netduma UI.

6.) Click on Settings -> Miscellaneous.

7.) Tick Turbo mode (enable it).

8.) Un-tick deep packet processing (disable it).

9.) Click on Settings -> LAN.

10.) Scroll down to MTU -> Set the radio button to disabled and manually input 576 as MTU, then click Apply.

11.) Click on Congestion Control -> Set Bandwidth and put in the bandwidth settings measured by dslreports.com.

12.) Set your congestion algorithm to Reactive and click Apply.

13.) If your Netduma asks you for automatically adjusting your settings, click to No.

14.) Move both sliders for down- and upload, each, to 90%.

15.) Click on Settings -> Miscellaneous -> Reboot Router and wait until it's up again.

16.) Run a speedtest at dslreports.com again. Take a look at the bufferbloat measurement at the end of the test.
       Do you get a score of A+ for bufferbloat ? If yes, you're good to go. If no, repeat from 14.) and reduce your bandwidth

further until you get the most desirable A+ scoring for bufferbloat. Please also look at my advice below in the second
       EDIT section. Thanks.  :)

For me, this works great. Hope for you too. Remember...This is my work-around until EA fixes the server issues.

Just wanted to share this with our community.

Btw. this is a screenshot of the Speedtest after a long-time gaming session in BF1 (at least 6 hours) from today:

Best regards, KayOneX-24.

EDITED on November, 7th of 2016:

This are my CC values at the moment: CC download 50 / upload 80.

The result can be viewed by clicking the dslreports.com graphic in my signature below.  :)

post-2017-0-38746500-1478358708_thumb.png

I and anyone else would never recommend changing mtu to 576, anything under 1300 is packet loss

You're right in general. But the MTU change happens LAN-wise and not on the WAN side of the network.

That's why it doesn't drop the packets. Please see the picture of my dslreports speedtest appended to my first post.

There's no packet loss. I did run Ping Plotter alongside the DSL speedtest and even there was no packet loss.

However, I just wanted to share this. Nobody needs to use it though. But for me, I'm happy to play my BF1 lag free.

Cheers.

Hi,

i m french .sorry for m'y English

Thanks for help.indeed on dslreports  i have C on bufferbloat ,understood now why big latence and preshot :o

Very often behind .i tried mtu 576 ( best it was B A D ) but Can t match any sessions also with Fifa .and i can t have any chat group

So i put mtu to 1200 .after that i got A+. A. A+....don t test it yet

Thx a lot

Hi buddies,

I've been playing BF1 on XBOX One a lot the past few days and at first when I started, I felt like always a second behind.

No other games had this issue so I knew it must have something to do with the servers of BF1.

As we all know the servers for Europe are all located in Ireland. Well... My ping to these servers with 50-60ms isn't so great.

I used to get 30-40ms on the European servers in BF4, but I knew I must cope to this, because it's unlikely that

EA would move the servers closer to me. That's the moment when I have begun to tweak my netduma settings.

I've been trying a lot of different settings and the following is what works the best for me and maybe even for you.

Let's begin:

1.) Browse to 192.168.88.1 (Netduma UI)

2.) Click on Congestion Control: Set both sliders for down- and upload to 100%.

3.) Browse to www.dslreports.com/speedtest

4.) Make a speed test and note down the bandwidth measured.

5.) Go back to the Netduma UI.

6.) Click on Settings -> Miscellaneos.

7.) Tick Turbo mode (enable it).

8.) Click on Settings -> LAN.

9.) Scroll down to MTU -> Set the radio button to disabled and manually input 576 as MTU, then click Apply.

10.) Click on Congestion Control -> Set Bandwidth and put in the bandwidth settings measured by dslreports.com.

11.) If your Netduma asks you for automatically adjusting your settings, click to No.

12.) Move both sliders for down- and upload, each, to 90%.

13.) Click on Settings -> Miscellaneous -> Reboot Router and wait until it's up again.

14.) Run a speedtest at dslreports.com again. Take a look at the bufferbloat measurement at the end of the test.

Do you get a score of A+ for bufferbloat ? If yes, you're good to go. If no, repeat from 12.) and reduce your bandwidth

further until you get the most desirable A+ scoring for bufferbloat.

For me, this works great. Hope for you too. Remember...This is my work-around until EA fixes the server issues.

Just wanted to share this with our community.

Btw. this is a screenshot of the Speedtest after a long-time gaming session in BF1 (at least 6 hours) from today:

Best regards, KayOneX-24.

What if I can get the Bufferbloat A or A+ without changing the MTU? 

Hi,

i m french .sorry for m'y English

Thanks for help.indeed on dslreports  i have C on bufferbloat ,understood now why big latence and preshot :o

Very often behind .i tried mtu 576 ( best it was B A D ) but Can t match any sessions also with Fifa .and i can t have any chat group

So i put mtu to 1200 .after that i got A+. A. A+....don t test it yet

Thx a lot

Hi buddy, please forgive me. I've forgot to mention that my method from above works with the reactive algo set in CC ONLY! This DOESN'T work with preemptive.

EDIT:

Ah, and the deep packet processing setting needs to be disabled, too. (In Miscellaneous settings) Just un-tick deep packet processing.

What if I can get the Bufferbloat A or A+ without changing the MTU? 

If that works for you, then there is no issue and you don't need to apply my settings, because you already have the best connection possible.

My method should be considered as a temporary work-around for BF1. EA will most probably change the netcode with the upcoming patch(es).  :)

These are the latest speedtest results from DSLReports.com:

2016-11-06ac9d.png

Ping Plotter graph during the speedtest @ dslreports.com... Just 4ms jitter when the test ran. No packet loss.

http://m20i.imgup.net/2016-11-06ad69.png

The graph in the upper left screen confirms the low jitter result (look @ PING: 30-34ms)

http://m25i.imgup.net/2016-11-063734.png

The graph from below confirms the bufferbloat to be almost non-existent...

http://i32i.imgup.net/2016-11-06ef73.png

And here we go... No frames were dropped during the speedtest. (Look @ the marked text).

Best regards and happy gaming, KayOneX-24

HI

your method works .less hitmarkers max 3 shots to kill ;)

i will change some settings .but for that bf1 it works

thx a lot

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/5833164

If You have any advices from my results

PS"put MTU. 1250 "

Hi buddy, nice to hearing that it works.  :)

You can make more experiments until you get an A+ scoring for bufferbloat.  :)

You could try tweaking with the Congestion Control sliders for upload and downloads speeds a bit until

you reach the desired A+ score.  :)

Why MTU 576, how did you get to that specif number?

I've done some testing and the MTU 576 was the one on the LAN side that works the best for my connection

to be stable. The LAN (=local network) MTU is not the same as the WAN (=to the internet) MTU.

You can try to tweak your line and then use what works the best for you.

The Netduma has so many options to serve you well. That's why I love this router even more than gaming itself.  :D

I'll mess with this when I get home and see if I notice anything or have friend try since he is having world of problems on att uverse with IW. Game runs fine for me

Yup. Please keep us up to date on this.  :)

Even if it may not work for everyone, it would be worth the try.

Im testing it. Seems out of 40 to 50 kills in hc tdm only getting 1 assist with smg. Waiting to test in friends. Doesn't prove much to me cuz I'm already a good player. Kd up to 2.8 700spm

Most games its like I don't even see a hit marker. I jus run thru ppl.

Haha nice kd man.  :) I guess, I'm just a silent and campy player having fun by not moving too much and killing here and there someone.

I'm getting old and an old man likes slow gameplay.  :D

But nice that you and your friends test the settings.

Archived