Preparing the installation

Hello

First of all I would like to apologize for my bad english.

I've ordered and I'm waiting for my Netduma R1 to arrive.

But I would like to see exactly how to set the router correctly.

I've done a little graphic, and have a few question about the way the system operate.

Here is my installation setup : 1430756439-graphic.png

As you may seen, I have part of my network working through PoE (Power on Ethenet) with D-Ling adapter.

Questions :

Does it works with PoE adapter ?

Where exactly should I put my Netduma :

1) just after the modem ? (to control all the devices)

2) Just before my PS4 and XBOX ONE ? (only for my two consoles) (but that way I suppose my brother cannot benefit from it on his xbox one ?)

Is there a way to benefit of the netduma on both console (PS4 and xbox one) and for later on the 2 xbox one (me and my brother) at the same time.

Do have I to put my modem in DMZ mode ? (since I've hear that the netduma have his own firewall)

I still want to have my ps4 on type 2 NAT and ours 2 xbox one on open NAT, is that possible with the netduma ?

I will principaly play destiny on PS4 and halo 5 with my brother, Does the two consoles have to be in a special mode to do the campaign mode and mutliplayer mode ?

(basically we want to be able to play with "other people" when we are on the same lobby, because in halo reach in the firefight and on halo 4 we would only start the game and playing with the two of us.)

I use the wifi on my modem and my Wifi PoE to surf on the web that's all I'm not overusing it.

Thanks for all who've reading all that.

And thanks by advance for your futur help.

• Netduma Staff

I will answer your questions in the order you asked them :)

1. Yes, there is a PoE port so I think it should work. I've never tried it with PoE though but as there is a port labeled that I would assume it does.
  2. I would recommend putting the duma after the modem so it controls all devices - then you can use all the features on the R1.
  3. Yes, you can add multiple devices to the GeoFilter so you can both benefit.
  4. If your using a modem, it will have no firewall. Are you using a router which has a built in modem? If you are then you can either put the router in modem mode or put the Netduma into the modem/routers DMZ.
  5. NAT 1/2 are both fine and you will have an open NAT if you have all ports open to the Netduma.
  6. Destiny works on the GeoFilter, I'm not sure about Halo. I'm also not sure what you mean by 'special mode'. :)

Hopefully this has answered your questions :) If there is anything I have answered please ask!

EDIT:

Just looked at your diagram, I don't think you mean PoE :) Do you mean you are using power line adapters? If thats what you mean, then they also work.

First of all thanks for the replys

And I doesn't say "PoE" to turn the netduma "on" (the port on the back is for that only no ? to powering it ?) but I'm using D-link adapter to share the connetion on my electrical network at home.

(so I can connect my ps4 and xbox one via ethernet, because wifi is a "no", there is too much distance and walls...)

1. If your using a modem, it will have no firewall. Are you using a router which has a built in modem? If you are then you can either put the router in modem mode or put the Netduma into the modem/routers DMZ.

I think mine is a modem router. (it's a sagem com from Orange (my ISP)), does it mean the netduma have to be in only "router mode" ?

1. NAT 1/2 are both fine and you will have an open NAT if you have all ports open to the Netduma.

What do you mean by opening all the port on my netduma ?

1. Destiny works on the GeoFilter, I'm not sure about Halo. I'm also not sure what you mean by 'special mode'. :)

I mean : does the consoles have to be in a special NAT (2 or open or whatever) to find people to play with ? I remember the two of us on our respective console (xbox 360 at the time) playing all alone in the firefight mode.

The same is happening in Destiny with a friend of mine, when I'm in his fireteam, we can't find a third player to play with.

Hopefully this has answered your questions :) If there is anything I have answered please ask!

Thank you again for your time.

• Netduma Staff

I'll answer your questions in order again :)

1. If you are using D-link adapters then you are using power line adapter - it is different from PoE :) You can use these with the Netduma as you are with your current router.
  2. If it is a modem/router then you can either put it in modem mode or just put the Netduma in the routers DMZ.
  3. Putting the Netduma in DMZ would open all ports so just do that :)
  4. The Netduma will give your console a NAT Type 2 and Open NAT. 

I'll answer your questions in order again :)

1. If you are using D-link adapters then you are using power line adapter - it is different from PoE :) You can use these with the Netduma as you are with your current router.
  2. If it is a modem/router then you can either put it in modem mode or just put the Netduma in the routers DMZ.
  3. Putting the Netduma in DMZ would open all ports so just do that :)
  4. The Netduma will give your console a NAT Type 2 and Open NAT.

Thank a lot for your answers

yes I didn't explain myself correctly : powerline adapter and not PoE.

PoE is to using the netduma without the power cable ? right ?

So if I understand correctly puting my Netduma in DMZ mode will allow to fully use it and solve all the futur problems I might have? (and is the best way to use it ? Right)

Thanks again.

• Netduma Staff

Thank a lot for your answers

yes I didn't explain myself correctly : powerline adapter and not PoE.

PoE is to using the netduma without the power cable ? right ?

So if I understand correctly puting my Netduma in DMZ mode will allow to fully use it and solve all the futur problems I might have? (and is the best way to use it ? Right)

Thanks again.

Yep, everything you said above is correct :)

• Netduma Staff

Thanks again and I might be back when the netduma arrive to ask for more of your knowledge. :)

No problem :) Make a new thread with any questions you have once you have got your Netduma!

Archived