Coaxial Splitter

PharmDawgg

I'm looking for a two way coaxial splitter and was wondering if anyone has already researched this or have any suggestions. I'm looking for a good quality product.

I worked in the cable industry for about 15 years and have seen every one that was made at the time.  The worst ones are the ones that are sold in Home Depot/Lowes and Stereo stores because they don't have the necessary shielding for insulation of ingress/egress signal and are rarely waterproof for outdoor applications.

I assume you need one for 2-way (upstream and downstream) transmission that takes one line and gives you two feeds to feed something like 2 bedrooms or a single TV with PiP, is that correct?

The best bet, in ALL HONESTY, is to just find where the local installers and technicians have lunch (all you can eats are a safe bet  :ph34r: ) and offer then $5 for one of their "approved" 2-ways.  This will pay benefits for you if you ever have to have them come to the house for a "problem call" as the gear is all theirs and they will replace it for no charge as part of the shotgun replace/repair program they teach those guys these days.

CDW is a good place to purchase quality versions however.  Just make sure they handle upstream and downstream transmission (usually expressed as 5Mhz-1.2Ghz, or similar).

Let me know if I can offer any additional insight.

Yeah. It is for Comcast >Cable TV & Internet coming from same outlet. They have one already installed by I just want to make sure it is quality. With Comcast you have to check.

Thanks for all the info. It's helps tremendously.

Yeah. It is for Comcast >Cable TV & Internet coming from same outlet. They have one already installed by I just want to make sure it is quality. With Comcast you have to check.

Thanks for all the info. It's helps tremendously.

Yeah, Comcast especially will ding you (charge you) if they show up for any type of problem and there is gear there they didn't provide, that you bought yourself.

The reason they have you check/not purchase yourself is "slightly" difficult to explain, but I can give it a go if you are interested.  

Basically:  Your TV (Digital, Off air rebroadcasts like your local channels, PPV movies, etc.) and downstream internet service are in the FWD/Broadcast frequencies (Above about 54Mhz).  The RETURN PATH, your uploads, are almost always in the low end (Below about 48Mhz).  Store splitters don't always include the second part of that equation, and if there isn't a complete data loop (downstream, and back upstream) it will cause problems with addressable devices like PPV boxes/ DVRs and Routers.

I'd just find a Comcast guy, any field guy, should have a ton of extras on their trucks.  Offer to buy them a snack and a soda ($5 will do it) and they will gladly hand one over unless they are under some Commie Inventory control measure or something.

Worst case, you can go right to the Comcast OTC and "purchase" one officially from them, but it's a hassle and you have to sign this form saying you realize you could be causing yourself trouble and a bunch of BS.

Let me know if you have any questions or need something like a diagram for wiring. :)

Yes, as long as your broadband limit doesn't go above 1Ghz, that one will perform all the necessary functions you need for a blanket "One input makes two outputs" scenario. 

None of the plant I worked on EVER went that far into the spectrum, but I have "heard" of places running 1Ghz and 1.2Ghz broadband systems.  The most likely scenario would be you had channels that were housed in that range (highly unlikely) and they just wouldn't be able to be transmit through the splitter.  This would result in channels just disappearing, or getting some sort of timeout with a notice to "Please contact your cable provider"

The worst case scenario is some sort of bundled, burst style transmission that is housed far out in the spectrum that provides the downstream loop to an addressable system (like your home DVR that features PPV).  This is unlikely, but it's technically possible.

Quick test:  Before you change anything, just unplug the input line to your TV, insert the splitter and run one output back to the TV.  Surf through all the channels and do normal operations (like hit a couple of webpages if it were to feed a modem)

• Problem?  Remove the splitter and see if it works.  if it does, that splitter doesn't have a broad enough window.
  • Works fine?  Install as planned, you are good to go.

Hope that helps.

Archived