Having a lot of problems opening ports

Hey i have been having a nightmare trying to play anything on the pc where i have to open ports minecaft/phaseshift/magicka.

I am with sky broadband in the uk and i was using there sky hub at first but i could not get that to work properly so i brought a d-link dsl-320b modem hoping this would fix my issues but to my surprise i still have the exact same problem.

I have tried dmz and port forwarding on all routers/modems.

Please help i just want to play with my friends!

• Netduma Staff

So just to confirm, you have:

d-link dsl-320b modem >> R1

Is this an actual modem or is it a modem/router combo? If it is a combo, have you put the R1 in DMZ when you were connected to that?

Once the R1 is in DMZ, have you gone to port forwarding on the R1 and port forwarded to the devices which need the ports open? You won't need to port forward for most gams on console. :)

Yep it is a straight up modem > R1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DSL-320B-ADSL2-Ethernet-Modem/dp/B0015RRIKM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1425757896&sr=8-2&keywords=modem

I have also tried with the sky hub router/modem combo > R1 with the r1 in dmz then fowarded the ports that i needed to my computer. #

No luck with either. 

• Netduma Staff

Yea me and my friends play a lot of pc games so i need to open various ports all the time for different games. 

Minecraft port 25565

Magicka port 27016

And i just cannot get it to work.

I can show you screen shots if you want?

So your trying to make a server then I assume if your trying to open port 25565 for Minecraft?

• Netduma Staff

Yes. 

Ok, well just to confirm, in the server properties file, have you chosen port 25565 and also have you entered the IP for your PC in the server IP field of the file?

Finally, when booting the server do you get an error message saying that the server can't bind to port 25565?

The issue might be that the server is not configured correctly, because it sounds as though you have set up port forwarding correctly.

• Netduma Staff

100% not the server i get exactly the same thing with magicka. Open port then go to http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/check to see if they are open. 

Always closed and no one can see my games.  :huh:

What is the server error? Have you defined the PC address in the server properties file? They will only show as open if something is binding to the port. If the server is not running, the port will show as closed.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Thanks for helping Crossy,

Nathaniel, so I assumed you have added the port forward entries in the R1 to point to the right computer? If so its almost certainly a firewall problem on your PC. Try disable any firewall software you have and see if that helps. 

Ok i have sorted it. For some reason magicka says port 27016 but it never opens and i do not show up on the server list. I had to get my friend to ip join me and we got it all sorted. Thanks for your brilliant support i have been trying to sort this for awhile and i has been driving me nuts!

Archived