Twitch settings

bagsta69

Hi yall, I know many of you here stream your stuff using capture cards etc but I was wondering if twitch is an option.

I know there is about a 30 second delay etc but I am having a few problems with what quality settings to use in conjunction with the Netduma.

I have 28 down and 6 up at full stretch fibre boadband but obviously don't really want to set everything at 100%.

Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

I have tried it set at best but the replay of video is very blocky, it is better set to high in my opinion.

Or should I just invest in an elgato?

I am by no means a player that is going to get a massive following but for friends etc it does seem to be a bit of a giggle as when gaming we do have some epic moments and many many laughs, and I do have disposable income so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

When it comes to streaming it's best to find a middle ground of playback and quality, which can be hard to perfect (I spent a loooooong time perfecting settings and my streaming setup)

If you're looking to stream from your console you'll be limited to how far you can push your stream quality, normally console streams are low quality and lag a fair bit unless the streamer is partnered and the viewer is able to pick what quality they want to view the stream at.

If you want to get a Elgato you're pretty much able to customize your stream exactly how you want it with a mixture quality lag free viewing. There's tonnes of tutorials on Youtube showing you how best to optimize OBS (streaming software) how it fits you and pretty much just playing about with it until you're happy with the results will be your best bet.

Never stream in 1080/60 and know the limits of your PC and internet connection are two tips I'd give to you. Also, who knows you may be the next big streamer, you have good intentions though!

I would highly recommend investing in an Elgato HD 60 Pro internal capture card... Even if you are streaming for smiles & grins for friends.

The reason is this takes the encoding overhead off your console and puts it onto your streaming PC which you can control using OBS or XSpilt. This also lets you control the bit rate of the stream being sent to the Twitch ingest / distribution servers. The other advantage about the Elgato HD 60 Pro is you can stream anything that has a HDMI output. This means older consoles like the XB360, PS3, Wii, etc, or... Even another gaming PC if you happen to have two (which is what streaming a console is, technically).

The preferred format for non-partnered streamers is 720p @ 30fps (2.5MB bitrate). If you want to go to 60fps, then drop the resolution down to 960 x 540 at the same bit rate. 

As for the Netduma, I kept my CC at 100% because the more you throttle / distribute, the less overhead there is for streaming which can effect not only your game play, but the quality of the stream.

You can check the quality of the 540p @ 60fps on my channel under "Highlights".

twitch.tv/r1_dmg_llc

If you really want to get into streaming, I recommend using Open Broadcaster Software or OBS. It's free and extremely easy to use and you can use it to either record gameplays, stream, or both at the same time. Based on your upload speed, you would want to set the bribate at around 3500 and your audio quality at 128. The quality shouldn't be bad and you shouldn't be dropping any frames. If you have any other questions regarding obs or streaming, I might be able to help you since I used to stream daily and have some experience.

And also you should be able to pull off 720p and 60 fps with your connection without frame drops. I would recommend getting the regular Elgato, which is cheaper and it gets the job done, and not the HD 60 pro. The only difference between the two is that the HD 60 pro can record up to 60 FPS in 1080p. Although, if you plan on upgrading your internet soon, you should try getting the HD60 since it would be an investment at that point.

Thanks for all the advice, the interweb I have is the best I can get where I live from BT at the moment.

Will be looking at upgrading the computer soon as well as it has to be on its last legs. Still running Windows 7 from when it was realised and only been rebooted a handful of times. Only ever gets switched off when I go on hols.

Thanks again for the input :)

If you really want to get into streaming, I recommend using Open Broadcaster Software or OBS. It's free and extremely easy to use and you can use it to either record gameplays, stream, or both at the same time. Based on your upload speed, you would want to set the bribate at around 3500 and your audio quality at 128. The quality shouldn't be bad and you shouldn't be dropping any frames. If you have any other questions regarding obs or streaming, I might be able to help you since I used to stream daily and have some experience.

That bit rate is too high.

The reason Twitch limits it to 2500mbps is because they want new streamers to be able to reach as many people as possible. They actually want 2000, but that is too low for any fullscreen desktop quality, however, it's perfect for mobile (tablet, phone) that a majority of viewers use to watch streams at work, school, lunch break, etc.

In addition, going to 540p also allows more mobile viewers to see you stream, too. More viewers = bigger audience = potential growth into partnership.

And also you should be able to pull off 720p and 60 fps with your connection without frame drops. I would recommend getting the regular Elgato, which is cheaper and it gets the job done, and not the HD 60 pro. The only difference between the two is that the HD 60 pro can record up to 60 FPS in 1080p. Although, if you plan on upgrading your internet soon, you should try getting the HD60 since it would be an investment at that point.

I can't tell you how many times I buffer when some of the big streamers do 720p @ 60fps because they broadcast at like 4500mbps! Thankfully, they have Quality Options, so I usually select "High", or even "Medium" depending on what I am doing while watching their streams. The point is they are partnered and have different encoding options whereas new streamers don't. If you set your bit rate and frame rate too high, nobody is going to be able to watch your stream.

I've seen this time and time again. Somebody starts streaming at 3500, 720p @ 60fps... And has ONE person watching regardless, of content. The reality is he/she may actually be generating 10-15 viewers, but 90% of them can't connect due to the high bit rate which causes their stream to BUFFER on their end. If they can't connect within less than 30 seconds, they are going to move onto another streamer they can connect to without buffering. Period.

Also...

The USB Elgato HD60 can record and stream 1080p @ 60fps, but the USB 2.0 bandwidth can't handle it, so you get massive audio / video sync delays while trying to stream. Recording is no problem IF you are just getting game footage and will edit commentary over it after the fact.

However, for live streaming (in real time), you want the Elgato HD 60 Pro because the PCI-E interfact allows for real time streaming (of audio and video) in sync, so you don't have to worry about setting audio and video offsets in OBS, or XSplit... Which is a pain in the ass because you never get it 100% right. If you use the HD 60 Pro, that is a thing of the past.

Huh, you do make a really good point. I have never thought of people who might have slower internet who struggled to watch my streams. I usually put twitch in the background to make sure my stream isn't dropping frames and also have OBS telling me the same, but I think you just explained why I might not be getting any views. I'll try your suggestion and see if anything changes. Thanks though. And I also got confused with HD 60 Pro and just HD 60. I completely forgot that Elgato made an internal capture card. That should explain the confusion I had.

I have just spent the last 8 hours at work between jobs watching twitch streams and wow, there are some really bad quality streams out there with like 400 people watching them!!! WTF?

Really bad blocky poor quality streams.

Oh well, I am sure I will have a few more questions over the next months as my desire out performs my ability. lol

Huh, you do make a really good point. I have never thought of people who might have slower internet who struggled to watch my streams. I usually put twitch in the background to make sure my stream isn't dropping frames and also have OBS telling me the same, but I think you just explained why I might not be getting any views. I'll try your suggestion and see if anything changes. Thanks though. And I also got confused with HD 60 Pro and just HD 60. I completely forgot that Elgato made an internal capture card. That should explain the confusion I had.

Depending on the game you're playing... This very well might be the reason you have no viewers?

I have just spent the last 8 hours at work between jobs watching twitch streams and wow, there are some really bad quality streams out there with like 400 people watching them!!! WTF?

Really bad blocky poor quality streams.

Oh well, I am sure I will have a few more questions over the next months as my desire out performs my ability. lol

A lot of streamers are from countries with poor internet e.g. Australia, etc. Some AU internet is maxed at 1mbps upload! I know one AU streamer who couldn't even play MP games because her upload could barely handle streaming, let alone playing against others online.

You (tech savvy people) aren't going to have 1080p @ 60fps. It just won't happen because the technology and bandwidth isn't there yet.

Also, I've been watching OMGItsfirefoxx's VR streams and that will be the future of Twitch. Mark my words.

So, if you have any artistic / creative tendencies, invest in the HTC Vive, or Oculus Rift and stream live painting like Bob Ross, did. You'll be partnered in no time...  Especially since Twitch is now promoting Creative streams more than video gaming, ironically. Anything that makes you stand out creatively will get their attention e.g. black smithing on stream, cooking, painting, 3D sculpture, gardening, hosting call-in talk shows, etc.

Good luck :)

• 4 weeks later...

If you aren't a partner with twitch I wouldn't stream anything over 720p60 still looks crisp and alot more ppl can watch due to not having to use high bitrate..

Www.twitch.tv/Kripptik_

That's you stream if you want to check out the quality I have some videos there in the past broadcast section

720p60 2200 bitrate

If you aren't a partner with twitch I wouldn't stream anything over 720p60 still looks crisp and alot more ppl can watch due to not having to use high bitrate..

Www.twitch.tv/Kripptik_

That's you stream if you want to check out the quality I have some videos there in the past broadcast section

720p60 2200 bitrate

Archived